Cargolux lands on a van parked on the runway

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TCAS_climb

Cargolux lands on a van parked on the runway

Post by TCAS_climb »

What: Cargolux Boeing 747-400 freighter en route from Barcelona, to Luxembourg
Where: Luxembourg
When: Jan 21st 2010
Why: While landing in low visibility due to foggy conditions, the Cargolux 747’s tires went through the roof of a maintenance truck whose crew was working on the runway ground lighting. The van’s driver was not hurt; the van was damaged by being landed on by the 747 (no doubt!), and the Boeing’s tires were damaged after going through the van’s roof. No one, however, was hurt, although the maintenance person was hospitalized for shock.

LX-LGX

Re: Cargolux lands on a van parked on the runway

Post by LX-LGX »

TCAS_climb wrote:What: Cargolux Boeing 747-400 freighter en route from Barcelona, to Luxembourg
Where: Luxembourg
When: Jan 21st 2010
Why: While landing in low visibility due to foggy conditions, the Cargolux 747’s tires went through the roof of a maintenance truck whose crew was working on the runway ground lighting. The van’s driver was not hurt; the van was damaged by being landed on by the 747 (no doubt!), and the Boeing’s tires were damaged after going through the van’s roof. No one, however, was hurt, although the maintenance person was hospitalized for shock.
Courtesy : The Aviation Herald (who also has a photo of the van):
http://avherald.com/h?article=42620150

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

YIKES!
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

earthman

Post by earthman »

I must say that the van is in much better shape than I expected.

regi

Post by regi »

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Does the pilot who landed on the caravan still have his pilot licence ? I just couldn't believe it if the FAA didn't dump his certificate into the paper shredder.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

TCAS_climb wrote:Does the pilot who landed on the caravan still have his pilot licence ? I just couldn't believe it if the FAA didn't dump his certificate into the paper shredder.
This was a CAT (2) approach!!! Everybody is on alert then! RVR 350 meters , that means FOG! The 747 was cleared to land.... And YOU blame the pilot???? Shame on you!

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

andorra-airport wrote:
TCAS_climb wrote:Does the pilot who landed on the caravan still have his pilot licence ? I just couldn't believe it if the FAA didn't dump his certificate into the paper shredder.
This was a CAT (2) approach!!! Everybody is on alert then! RVR 350 meters , that means FOG! The 747 was cleared to land.... And YOU blame the pilot???? Shame on you!
You are quite right andorra-airport, but the fog is irrelevant. Either the B747 was not cleared to land, and then the blame is on the PIC, or there was a landing clearance issued while a vehicle was on the runway, this is to be blamed on local authorities, either tower operator or ground controller. Surely we will learn eventually from the official investigation?

FWIW it IS frightsome, the same could have happened to me on a much smaller scale recently: on final in an ULM at a non-disclosed EB-aerodrome I was much disturbed to see a 4x4 parked in the middle of the runway. Turned out to be a mole-chaser... Luckily I was in better visibility so could decide to go around well in time.
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 28 Jan 2010, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

earthman wrote:I must say that the van is in much better shape than I expected.
Ah! These B747 pilots, they do have trained subtility! Which is a good thing on ILS landings, meseemeth.

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Settle down, folks. I was refering to the taildragger who intentionally lands on a moving caravan in the second video posted by Regi...

regi

Post by regi »

right, my fault again. It seems that I have taken over the role of NCB quite well :)

earthman

Post by earthman »

About that plane on the camper, how are they going to get it off again?

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Well, I suppose exactly the same way it landed on it. Just zoom along the runway until you reach liftoff speed. The tricky part must be the application of power by the taildragger.

Or a less chivalrous way: with a crane... :D

J.R.

B744 touched van on runway during landing

Post by J.R. »

http://avherald.com/h?article=42620150&opt=0

How is a so light damage possible ?