Egypt Air B777 Diversion to Athens

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

pilot A320

Post by pilot A320 »

Breaking news

Flight No.MS985, SU-GBL, B777 performing flight CAI-JFK with 293 pax and 15 crew onboard, diverted to Athens due to an oil leakage from engine No. 2.
The aircraft landed safely today at 12:31pm on runway 21L with engine no.2 shut down,I will never fly with them at all,I think there maintenance is very bad,they almost blacklisted to fly in Europe this year,do they fly to Brussels Airport too :o

cathay belgium

Re: Egypt Air B777 Diversion to Athens

Post by cathay belgium »

pilot A320 wrote:The aircraft landed safely today at 12:31pm on runway 21L with engine no.2 shut down,I will never fly with them at all,I think there maintenance is very bad,do they fly to Brussels Airport too
Flown with them this year! (domestic SSH-CAI-SSH )
Very new nice planes ( A321 + EMB170 ) and very friendly!! Top!!
Maintenance ? I don't know ,they fly to BRU ( LXR+CAI ) !
+ there member of *A before SN !!!!
So I don't think their so bad as you think ;) !
AFI begins a little bit further than Egypt :lol: !

Nice 2010 :!:
CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

fretn

Post by fretn »

They're not that bad, they are basic and their cabins are very primitive and it's a dry airline. But their pitch is generous, hot food practically everywhere you fly, but maybe the most important is that they are one of the few african airlines that i completely trust together with RAM, SAA, Air Kenya, Ethiopian, Tunisair & Arik Air.
i don't know why you claim this, an engine failure can happen at almost anytime...

a320pilot i think you are wrong here

cnc

Post by cnc »

pilot A320 wrote:they almost blacklisted to fly in Europe this year,
could you give us your source?
i've never heard that before and they meet the *alliance requirements.
back when i was on the tarmac i remember the maintenance being good and so are the planes

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

I think Pilot A320 means this:

"EgyptAir warned to improve safety or face EU blacklisting.

David Kaminski-Morrow, London 17Jul09

EgyptAir has been warned that it risks inclusion on the European Commission's blacklist of banned airlines unless it addresses serious concerns in several areas of its operation.

In a detailed assessment of its recent blacklist revision, the Commission states that 75 inspections since January last year turned up 240 individual safety findings, including 69 in the highest of the three classifying categories.

The Commission expressed "serious concern" to the Egyptian civil aviation authority in May, regarding "systemic safety deficiencies" at the flag-carrier.

It says the "persistence of serious findings" in areas such as airworthiness, maintenance, operations and the safety of cargo on board has prompted a request for monthly reports, from Egyptian authorities, on implementation of a corrective action plan.

EgyptAir submitted extensive documentation detailing remedial action during June, says the Commission, and made a presentation to the European air safety committee two weeks ago.

As a result the Commission says it is not blacklisting the carrier "at this stage".

But it adds that it has "urged" EgyptAir to provide "without delay" for the sustainable resolution of the various findings, "failing which, appropriate measures will have to be taken".

Inspections of the airline are to be intensified and the air safety committee will review the carrier's position in November. EgyptAir could not immediately be reached for comment.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news"

pilot A320

Post by pilot A320 »

EgyptAir warned to improve safety or face EU blacklisting
Yes that is what I meant,but what happened today,it is something to do with there bad maintenance,it is all over the news by now,I hope that Boeing & Airbus start to move fast to Egypt Air before a disaster could happen again at any time :(
Last edited by pilot A320 on 01 Jan 2010, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Don't overreact. The old B772's of Egyptair will be replaced in the comming years (same with the old A340's). The rest of their fleet is now already pritty modern. It can be bad maintenance but I don't think so. Remember this can happen with every airline, every airplane. Think about the new A380, there are some incidents (singapore Airlines, Air France, Emirates) when they have to return to the airport for things like engine faillure, electrical faillure (Emirates hold their 2 A380' s (2 at that moment) for a few days on the ground for an electrical problem, Singapore Airlines returned some weeks ago back to Paris because there was no electricity in one of the galleys, Air France returned to JFK after a computer error and 1/2 weeks ago back to paris for an engine faillure).
Think about Jet, I remember me some foto's on Airliners.net or Planepictures.net of a A332 and a B773 of Jet in one week in Budapest for both an engine faillure.
You see, such things happens with every airline and with every airplane even the most modern and best maintenanced aircraft.

airmemphis

Post by airmemphis »

EgyptAir's safety levels should not be called into disrepute following a couple of engine shutdowns. Yes the EU raised its concerns with the carrier in early 2009 however all issues were resolved (deadline was NOV09). The Star Alliance board are aware of all these developments.

Now regarding their B777-200ERs, there are 2 points to bear in mind:
1. Several B777 P&W operators have reported reliability problems with this engine, namely United.
2. EgyptAir will begin phasing out this aircraft this year, to be replaced by the new B777-300ER (first delivery in February 2010).

It's unfortunate for the passengers that had to endure long delays and diversions but this happens to all airlines.

pilot A320

Post by pilot A320 »

Hi Guy's what in the Hell is Going on with that Airline!!?,that is not a jok no more,I can't belive it no more (what Star Alliance member is that),where is the European Commission's from all that :o :shock:

Incident: Egypt Air B738 near Athens on Jan 1st 2010, engine shut down in flight
By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Jan 1st 2010 19:43Z, last updated Friday, Jan 1st 2010 20:06Z

An Egypt Air Boeing 737-800, registration SU-GDA performing flight MS-731 from Cairo (Egypt) to Berlin Schoenefeld (Germany) with exactly 100 passengers, was enroute at FL360 about 130nm southeast of Athens (Greece), when the crew declared emergency reporting they had to shut their left hand engine (CFM56) down. The airplane drifted down and diverted to Athens, where the airplane landed safely on runway 21L about 30 minutes later.

A replacement Boeing 737-800 registration SU-GDE was dispatched to Athens and is estimated to reach Berlin as flight MS-1731 with a delay of 8.5 hours.

take a look at:

http://avherald.com/h?article=425193cd&opt=0

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Hey, calm down a bit.
I gave you the example of Jet Airways. Two times in one week diverted to Budapest (A332 and B773) for engine faillure, so what is the problem than with Egyptair. It can happen every airline and sometimes it happens two times in one or two weeks. IT CAN HAPPEN, that's not a reason to think that Egyptair is crap.

pilot A320

Post by pilot A320 »

I always fly on Belgian or any EU Airlines anywhere I and my family go,I feel very safe with them :)

andorra-airport

They don't have a lucky week: diversion to Athens nr.3
31dec09 Egypt Air 737-800, SUGCO, flight MS792 FCO-CAI. Diverted to Athens because a female pap had an overdose of alcohol.

I thought MS was a dry airline?

pilot A320

Post by pilot A320 »

andorra-airport wrote:They don't have a lucky week: diversion to Athens nr.3
31dec09 Egypt Air 737-800, SUGCO, flight MS792 FCO-CAI. Diverted to Athens because a female pap had an overdose of alcohol.

I thought MS was a dry airline?
Incident: Egypt Air B738 near Athens on Dec 31st 2009, medical emergency
By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Jan 1st 2010 23:33Z, last updated Friday, Jan 1st 2010 23:33Z

An Egypt Air Boeing 737-800, registration SU-GCO performing flight MS-792 from Rome Fiumicino (Italy) to Cairo (Egypt), was enroute at FL370 near Athens, when the crew reported a female passenger was suffering from an overdose of alcohol and needed urgent medical attention. The airplane landed safely on runway 21R about 30 minutes later.

The airplane reached Cairo with a delay of 141 minutes as a result.

pilot A320

Post by pilot A320 »

MR_Boeing wrote:Hey, calm down a bit.
I gave you the example of Jet Airways. Two times in one week diverted to Budapest (A332 and B773) for engine faillure, so what is the problem than with Egyptair. It can happen every airline and sometimes it happens two times in one or two weeks. IT CAN HAPPEN, that's not a reason to think that Egyptair is crap.
Incident: Egypt Air B772 near Mumbai on Dec 25th 2009, engine shut down in flight
By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Dec 26th 2009 16:27Z, last updated Saturday, Dec 26th 2009 16:27Z

An Egypt Air Boeing 777-200, flight MS-960 (dep Dec 24th) from Cairo (Egypt) to Bangkok (Thailand), diverted to Mumbai (India) after the crew needed to shut down an engine as result of a technical malfunction.
Egyptair needed to dispatch a replacement aircraft.

And you call that it happen some times what a coincidence :shock:

andorra-airport

A few months ago, the Bulgarian lottery had the same six numbers drawn in two consecutive rounds....

Coincidences happens..Same with airlines. I guess many people on this forum can tell you strange things that happened to an airline in a short time-frame. Last week was not a lucky one for MS, next week not a lucky one for another airline, who knows.

Shit happens, but Egypt Air is a good airline. I would fly with them, if they are the best option on my next trip.