Jet Airways goes on strike

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

regi

Jet Airways goes on strike

Post by regi »

Just this morning , still in Dutch:

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail ... 091218_012

Because 13 employees of the division "airport services" of Jet Airways would be transfered to the company Flight Care, they go on strike.
Reason is that they would not have the same rights/benefits as with Jet Airways.

cnc

Re: Jet Airways goes on strike

Post by cnc »

looks simple to me, fire them and then let flightcare select their own officers of choice for the job

b.lufthansa

Post by b.lufthansa »

cnc wrote:looks simple to me, fire them and then let flightcare select their own officers of choice for the job
very simple indeed: throw your staff away like garbage! this is a disgusting remark!

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

cnc wrote:looks simple to me, fire them and then let flightcare select their own officers of choice for the job
What a disgusting remark indeed, IMHO!

Luckily your simplistic ideas aren't commonly used in Europe, or we'd all be working for rock bottom salaries soon in an unstopable race to the bottom.

There are litterally millions of people who work for less than 1 euro a day in this world!
What's your salary? Care to give up all above 1 euro too?

Get alive... :roll:

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

It surprises me
Strike is not so common in India among emplyees...

However I remember a funny story, pilot of AI refusing to take off because some relative of him could not embark (for free) 2 or 3 yrs ago I think :)

b.lufthansa

Post by b.lufthansa »

sn-remember wrote:It surprises me
I am 99% sure that we are talking about Belgian employees not Idian employees!

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

b.lufthansa wrote: I am 99% sure that we are talking about Belgian employees not Idian employees!
Of course completely different ;)

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

b.lufthansa wrote:
very simple indeed: throw your staff away like garbage! this is a disgusting remark!
I haven't seen anything like "throw them away like garbage". I saw"fire them", meaning: send them a letter in which you announce that their contract is terminated according to the Belgian labour law conditions.

Why don't the unions start their own airline, their own ground handler, their own handling agent if all other companies really are such craps?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

LX-LGX wrote:
b.lufthansa wrote:
I haven't seen anything like "throw them away like garbage". I saw"fire them", meaning: send them a letter in which you announce that their contract is terminated according to the Belgian labour law conditions.
So you think it should become common practice for an employer to just fire any employee if he can find somebody wanting to do a job cheaper than the current employee?

And then if he can find yet another cheaper applicant, fire the newly hired employee too?

And then after that, maybe import some Ukrainian guy, who wants to do it for 20 euro a day?

Or even an Indian guy, for just 1 euro a day?

In short, shall we fire everybody in Belgium who's NOT working for 1 euro a day, because there are litterally milllions of people out there, who would kill to get a job 'as well paid as 1 euro a day'?

Cut your rightwing bullshit, man...

Idea's like these would -if ever put into practice- push middle class people in Belgium and allover the world in outright poverty and cause a global economic depression previously unseen, as today's mass consumers would be turned into tomorrow's beggars, whereas the money saved would only benefit the few very weathly, who own the production means... Unless you belong to that 0.00001% of people, you're actually defending very stupid ideas!
Last edited by tolipanebas on 18 Dec 2009, 14:06, edited 2 times in total.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

Maybe there're some old employees of flightcare in that group of 13 who knows the working conditions at flightcare.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

tolipanebas wrote:So you think it should become common practice for an employer to just fire any employee if he can find somebody wanting to do a job cheaper than the current employee?

And then if he can find yet another cheaper applicant, fire the newly hired employee too?

And then after that, maybe import some Ukrainian guy, who wants to do it for 20 euro a day?

Or even an Indian guy, for just 1 euro a day?

In short, shall we fire everybody in Belgium who's NOT working for 1 euro a day, because there are litterally milllions of people out there, who would kill to get a job 'as well paid as 1 euro a day'?

Cut your rightwing bullshit, man...
Idea's like these would -if ever put into practice- push middle class people in Belgium and allover the world in outright poverty and cause a global economic depression previously unseen, as today's mass consumers would be turned into tomorrow's beggars, whereas the money saved would only benefit the few very weathly, who own the production means... Unless you belong to that 0.00001% of people, you're actually defending very stupid ideas!
Hmmm..
1 euro .. Maybe true for unqualified jobs but not for qualified ones .. you are kidding !
Qualified manpower in India do receive decent wages .. it varies depending on the sector.
The middle class in India is more and more wealthy and growing in numbers AND costs of living for them are very comparable to those in the West (just look at the price for a modest flat in Delhi ?) so it's normal wages for qualified people follow the same trend.
In Ukrainia I don't know but I assume a qualified job will be paid more than 200 (as is the case in India)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

sn-remember wrote: Hmmm..
1 euro .. Maybe true for unqualified jobs but not for qualified ones .. you are kidding !
Qualified manpower in India do receive decent wages .. it varies depending on the sector.
The middle class in India is more and more wealthy and growing in numbers AND costs of living for them are very comparable to those in the West (just look at the price for a modest flat in Delhi ?) so it's normal wages for qualified people follow the same trend.
In Ukrainia I don't know but I assume a qualified job will be paid more than 200 (as is the case in India)
It was merely a metaphor to illustrate how easily it is to start a race for the bottom with an attitude like: 'So you don't like taking a pay cut, do you? Well others would love to work for what I offer you, so why don't you get lost?" I could as well have replaced Ukraine and India with Laos, Malawi or Bangladesh really....

The bottom line is that before you'd know it, we'd all be back on living standards of the early 1900 and before even, which accidentally ARE still quite common in ASIA, including India, if the idea cnc advocated would become common practice in Europe!

Depretair

Post by Depretair »

So,

what are the consequences of their strike on the flights ?
I have some relatives that are flying with them this saturday...
Any action to take ?

Thanks for the answers.

regi

Post by regi »

The relationship employer-employee in India is much more under stress than in Europe. Problems escalate quickly to levels unknown in the West.
Remember that factory director who was lynched and torn to pieces because they closed down a factory?

Strikes are much more common in India than you would expect. I have personal experience with this during business visits to Mumbai.

There is no buffer action by unions. So there are immediate confrontations.

In many respects India is going through the same pattern of the industrial revolution which happened in Europe from 1850 onwards: extreme capitalism, paternalistic employers who build entire villages for employees, no social security, child labour in factories ( yes, still today despite what the government says. I made my own pictures of +- 12 year olds in large steel factories ), the uneducated agricultural population that is dragged into the factories, pollution and unsafe working conditions.

It is not all negative. In the longer run, we see that Indian employers must give some incentives to their employees or they run to the competition.

Jettie

Post by Jettie »

Hello all,

I'm one of the 9W OPS staff that got 'fired'...
Yesterday, 17th of DEC, we were told by the 9W management that, as from JAN 1st (in 14 days!!!) we'll no longer be part of the 9W family but we'll become Flightcare. A CAO 32 BIS was made between 9W BRU and Flightcare. Only OPS is effected, the lounge and ticketing staff stay 9W.

I can tell you, the news came as a shock. Immediately after (10min later) receiving the news we had to go for an interview with Flightcare HR, to see what kind of job we could do with them.

When I started at 9W, I wanted to work for an AIRLINE and not a HANDLER. I chose an AIRLINE because I wanted to have the tickets to travel around the globe and to be part of a family. YES, our OPS team was...IS...a family! The entire team is very emotional and we are very upset to hear this only 2 weeks before... it's a lovely Xmas gift! Believe me when I say we can use everyone's support...

Thank you!

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Jettie wrote:When I started at 9W, I wanted to work for an AIRLINE and not a HANDLER.
Even though your actual work and salary may remain the same, I understand it does make a difference whether you work for an airline or a handler. Personally I would also be very disappointed if this would happen to me. Luckily you still have the job. I could image a possible 9W announcement with much worse consequences than this one.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Jettie wrote:When I started at 9W, I wanted to work for an AIRLINE and not a HANDLER. I chose an AIRLINE because I wanted to have the tickets to travel around the globe and to be part of a family. YES, our OPS team was...IS...a family!

The travel benefits of an airline employee are a nice perk to have.
But in reality many airline employees hardly make use of this for various reasons.

Why would working for an airline offer a greater "family" experience, than working for… let’s say a handler?

N77014

Post by N77014 »

Sadly it is all about cost-cutting measures, I presume.
One of the main driving factors ( not the only one, but an important one ) to look for cost-cutting measures form the company´s point of view is to be able to lower the price of your product on the market and / or remain competitive.
Because at the end of the day, many CONSUMERS look at the PRICE of the product : going to NYC ? For a non-stop flight BRU-JFK/EWR v.v., many people do not care which airline they fly, be it a narrowbody B757 of AA or DL, a 764 of CO or an A330 of Jet Airways, What matters is price. So IMHO those measures are indirectly driven by the consumers... Very sad for the 9W staff, I fully agree, but in more and more sectors, outsourcing is becoming an economic reality...

cnc

Post by cnc »

b.lufthansa wrote:
i'm just saying a strike isn't going to help them at all in this case :roll:

@Jettie: sorry to hear but try to hold on. if rumors are true SN or LH will start their own handling at BRU and they'll need staff too

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

b.lufthansa wrote:
sn-remember wrote:It surprises me
I am 99% sure that we are talking about Belgian employees not Idian employees!
Indians as well, I wass told...

Is this the reason why the 9W-jets left so late?