EK (Emirates) comes to BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Re: Will EK (Emirates) come to BRU?

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote:What Aucoc fails to mention is that the Emirates employees do not pay any taxes at all in Dubai. Quite a competitive advantage, if you ask me!
What I don't understand is why SN does not move all the employees to Ireland!!!!
To escape the taxes here,like Ryanair.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

lumumba wrote: What I don't understand is why SN does not move all the employees to Ireland!!!!
No need for that : they get governmental subsidies to compensate.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

airazurxtror wrote:
lumumba wrote: What I don't understand is why SN does not move all the employees to Ireland!!!!
No need for that : they get governmental subsidies to compensate.
But if they move all the employees to Ireland they will be even more efficient.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Report Kanaal Z (business channel) on this first flight:

http://kanaalz.knack.be/nieuws/z-nieuws ... 889579.htm

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

lumumba wrote:What I don't understand is why SN does not move all the employees to Ireland!!!!

Off topic- it would not make any difference! A new European law came into force in 2012, airlines and their employees pay social security in the country in which the employees are based. An FR pilot based in BRU pays MORE social security in Belgium than his BAir colleague because his gross salary is higher. (there are grandfather rights till 2022 for those already employed in 2012, but as soon as anything changes in your situation you loose them. eg: base change, upgrade, unpaid leave,...)
This has been explaimed over a 100 times on this forum. :roll:

b720

Post by b720 »

No one pays tax in Dubai, not only EK employees. This is a business model that city built its economy on.
Kudos for them.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Yet if nobody pays any taxes, what money does the government use to pay the pensions, a collective social security, the administration, its oversight as well as the state protection etc with?

A zero tax environment isn't a sustainable and self-supportive model for any society; it's an artificial model relying on (or subsidised by, so you wish) other kinds of revenues somehow.

It is also a model which is very often mixed with an extremely high degree of expected individualism on the side of its subjects, as well as a high degree of indifference towards individual's rights on the side of government, 2 elements which are completely unthinkable in any modern western society where we have all grown accustomed to our personal social, legal and labour rights and the protection they offer us.

As such, Emirates and other companies from the region do not just benefit from operating under a more favourable business climate like you often hear say, they operate under a completely different model of society even and IMHO, this is also why we should carefully consider whether or not we accept airlines from these countries to serve our airports without restrictions like today, as they can draw an economic advantage from what may be called a very questionable model of society, a society in which certain basic elements of what we think is a normal component of any modern society, do not have to be respected.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Lysexpat wrote:
lumumba wrote:What I don't understand is why SN does not move all the employees to Ireland!!!!

Off topic- it would not make any difference! A new European law came into force in 2012, airlines and their employees pay social security in the country in which the employees are based. An FR pilot based in BRU pays MORE social security in Belgium than his BAir colleague because his gross salary is higher. (there are grandfather rights till 2022 for those already employed in 2012, but as soon as anything changes in your situation you loose them. eg: base change, upgrade, unpaid leave,...)
OK but how come that FR makes money and SABENA and BRUSSELS in 90 years had only one profitable year!!!!!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote:
Lysexpat wrote:
This has been explaimed over a 100 times on this forum.
OK but how come that FR makes money and SABENA and BRUSSELS in 90 years had only one profitable year!
Strange: you ask a question, you get the answer, and then you ask the same question again.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

lumumba wrote:
Lysexpat wrote:

OK but how come that FR makes money and SABENA and BRUSSELS in 90 years had only one profitable year!!!!!
Different business model... Flying to secondary airports, docking at remote stands both resulting in lower airport taxes, sharp turnaround times, no hub-and-spoke, only point to point, buyings heaps of aircraft at the same time at large discounts and selling them again before costly C- and D-check comes around,...

It's a great business model, as FR proves for decades already, but unsuitable for a legacy carrier. Take into account that Sabena was infected with a government attitude which resulted in a lazy, not very efficient mentality and a small home market. KL for instance build its brand on a vast hub-and-spoke system and large overseas territories following the mercantile Dutch mentality.

Maybe the current SN stands a chance with support from a larger airline group and an international alliance.

LJ

Post by LJ »

regi wrote:I went through some of my comments, and honnestly speaking, I still don't get it why Emirates comes to BRU after most of the market is already taken by Etihad, Qatar and Thai :?
But time will tell. Hm...maybe the African destinations?
Maybe because now people don't have to go to AMS or DUS to catch an EK flight (and mor than twice daily from DUS and AMS is a little bit too much)? For Africa, DXB is a very long detour and fares are usually not so good (TK is more active in this market).

BTW you forget 9W, which will probably has the biggest problem with EK coming to BRU.

DannyVDB

Re: EK (Emirates) comes to BRU

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

It seems that Emirates is doing very well on the Brussels route.

A spokesman said many flights in November are already booked > 80% (don't know where I saw it, somewhere on a TV, forgot the channel).

They will switch completely to B777-300E from 1/02/2015 (airlineroute.net)

Cheers,
Danny

b720

Post by b720 »

There is a huge potential for O&D traffic between DXB and BRU(catchement area).. Tourism, and Business..

not only connecting PAX.

regi

Post by regi »

LJ wrote:
regi wrote:I went through some of my comments, and honnestly speaking, I still don't get it why Emirates comes to BRU after most of the market is already taken by Etihad, Qatar and Thai :?
But time will tell. Hm...maybe the African destinations?
Maybe because now people don't have to go to AMS or DUS to catch an EK flight (and mor than twice daily from DUS and AMS is a little bit too much)? For Africa, DXB is a very long detour and fares are usually not so good (TK is more active in this market).

BTW you forget 9W, which will probably has the biggest problem with EK coming to BRU.
Good remark, sorry to have excluded the Indians ;) ! Certainly now that I hear the one (unoffical ) complaint after the other : "never more Jet Airways". A lost opportunity, sadly enough.

ttubbie

Post by ttubbie »

EK184 delayed today till 1815. Anyone has info on reason for this ?

Stij

Post by Stij »

regi wrote:... Certainly now that I hear the one (unoffical ) complaint after the other : "never more Jet Airways". A lost opportunity, sadly enough.
I've been avoiding them since May 2012 after a trip that wasn't up to standard viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47472&hilit=+quo.

I understand from your post things haven't improved, maybe even on the contrary...

Indeed, a missed opportunity...

Cheers,

Stij

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

ttubbie wrote:EK184 delayed today till 1815. Anyone has info on reason for this ?
Seems EK183 (A6-EWF 777-200ER) even landed a bit ahead of schedule (10h44 > 13h15):
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/fligh ... 3/#44847cd

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

ttubbie wrote:EK184 delayed today till 1815. Anyone has info on reason for this ?
Seen it sitting at the gate with engine cowlings opened... so something technical I suppose.

Tompompier

BATAVIA

Post by BATAVIA »

I Flew recently from DUS to MNL, EY, C class.
Reason to choose DUS over BRU was the ticketprice, 56% cheaper ex Dus,
Same transit time in auh, So I hope the coming of EK to BRU Will finally lower prices for travel between bru and the Far East.
Btw, DUS airport has Great advantages, compared to bru.
It took me 2 minutes to pass immigration, Can not imagine that in bru, around 10 Am.
Very cheap car parking fares, easy reachable from Limburg, user friendly airport.
I prefer to fly ex Bru, but without going off topic, Dus was a Great departure/ arrival experience.
SO, I hope EK Will make prices ex Bru more interesting.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Tompompier wrote:
Seen it sitting at the gate with engine cowlings opened... so something technical I suppose.
Flight is now announced as delayed till 14h45 on Wednesday 10 September. Thus cancelled.