EK (Emirates) comes to BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

b720

Re: Will EK (Emirates) come to BRU?

Post by b720 »

I will pay double to avoid transferring in egypt.. as for egypt air versus Emirates, it is like comparing BIMAN to THAI... different league altogether..they need decades to improve and get to the likes of RJ or MEA.. let alone EK..

regi

Post by regi »

I can only speak for myself.
8 hours waiting at Dubai is worse than 2 hours at Cairo -which has also improved just very recently. How flashy Dubai airport may also look like, I hate it to have to walk and walk , and find a long cue in front of the dirty toilets. And standing in line for 1 hour to board because officals check and double check every passenger again and again...not funny.

Egypt Air is not the competitor of Emirates. Neither is Etihad or Jet Airways, or Hainan, or even Aeroflot. But all of them together make it much less attractive for Emirates to come to Brussels.

And NCB: that theoretical 1h15 transfer time at SVO will become quickly a nightmare...too short. You dear to say that 4h20 transfer time is still OK because the airplane will leave BKK anyway. Well, as I said, I can only speak for myself. But after > 30 departures from BKK I can only remember a 2 hour delay with Nokair to Phuket and a 1 hour delay to Udorn Thani. ( other delays : 1 hour with Kulula J'burg to Cape Town and 4 hours delau Mae Hong Song so Chiang Mai ) All long haul departures were fine. Even Biman. Yes, even Biman. But I recently had a > 1 hour delay departing Shang Hai, missing my connection at Zurich with Swiss.

I compared the travel details with my current booking with Qantas ( from Brussels 8-) ) and sorry, on the days I travel, it is 14 hours in the go and 4 hours in the return flight...for 200 euro extra. Give me a decent reason to chose Aeroflot and I will listen to you.
And you didn't succeed to convince me about the Il-96 replacement. Show it, I want to see your A330's at BKK.
Imagine that members start to believe your assumptions and stories. Skytrax would be flooded by millions of extra complaints.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

I had a totally different experience from you Regi!

I only went to DXB once but it was very smooth! On my way there I stopped over for 3 days. Going through customs was a breeze as I was luggage pick up (Not that it matters in this context)

On my way back We had I believe 3 hours to kill in Dubai. Well appart from the walk to the post office which was in the older part of airport I really enjoyed my 3 hours. Plenty of Shops nice clean and modern building (Don't remember dirty toilets btw) and I was even able to go out of the building quickly to go and smoke a cigarette without any issues whatsoever!

Granted the people working are not the friendliest people on earth but they are very polite! All in all I would definetely recommend DXB as a transfer point. It's on par with Zurich and wasy better than Frankfurt or Charles de Gaulle as an airport to kill time.

To be honest I think it all depends on how the airport is laid out! DXB being one of the newest has been purpose built for connecting passengers and hasn't suffered from being landlocked or poor planning as say Heathrow has been. "exotic" airlines may be attractive in terms of price but if you end up suffering delays, missing your flights or having an awful time waiting for your connection it is just not worth it unless you are on a tight budget and/or if you have all the time in the world.

regi

Post by regi »

Good for you Vinnie. I do not enjoy the bad luck of other people.
But your travel was quite different than a normal flight, because you had that stop over.
Good to read that the toilet problem ( many times mentioned in several travel review sites such as Skytrax and Ciao ) has been fixed.
The Arab officals are not friendly. ( My first encounter with them was in 1991 on a KLM fuel stop ) But if we compare them to the BAA staff, I have to admit I prefer the grimm look of the Arab official instead of the hysterically shouting BAA woman "faster, shoes out didn't you hear me, shoes out, in the box, faster " at LHR.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Emirates will start daily Dubai-Prague from 1 july, with an A332!

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

SabenaForever wrote:Emirates will start daily Dubai-Prague from 1 july, with an A332!
Also new in July : Madrid.

For the moment new in 2010 : Tokyo, Prague, Amsterdam and Madrid.

mitsuo.namen

Post by mitsuo.namen »

Is it the end of their new destinations for summer 2010?

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

Hi guys,

If you know anybody who would be interested please forward this mail.

I do not get any commission :-)

greets
JC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2010/2/10
Subject: FW: Seeking First Officers for Emirates
To: [email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue 2/9/2010 3:36 PM
To: DL - Captains A330; DL - Captains A340; DL - Captains A380; DL - Captains B777
Subject: Seeking First Officers for Emirates

Dear Colleague,
With the continued expansion of Emirates and our ongoing aircraft arrivals, we require a large number of pilots to join our Flight Crew team. We would appreciate your support in spreading the word that we are recruiting.
Your referrals and recommendations assist us in our selection of pilots by providing us with quality candidates with whom you have previously worked with. It is also beneficial to the candidate to have contacts within our pilot group so they can understand better about life in Emirates and Dubai.

We would appreciate your assistance in forwarding this email onto any contacts you may have who would be interested in a position with Emirates.

Many thanks for your support.
Kind regards,

Kathryn Ferguson
Recruitment Manager - Flight Operations

<http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/eng ... fault.aspx>
<http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/eng ... fault.aspx>
Emirates employs highly skilled and successful Flight Deck Crew from around the world. We are currently recruiting experienced and technically proficient First Officers to fly our extensive international route network. The First Officer position offers an exceptional opportunity for ambitious pilots to develop their career on one of the youngest high-tech fleets, with one of the fastest growing and most profitable airlines in the world.
We also offer job security as well as a competitive package and many lifestyle benefits. In addition to a competitive salary and the opportunity to live in one of the world's most cosmopolitan cities, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes accommodation and utilities support, health and life insurance, excellent end-of-service benefits, generous staff travel access for family members and educational support for children (studying in Dubai or overseas).
Emirates' order of US$ 9.7 billion was the largest to date for the Boeing 777 family of aircraft. Delivery of the 24 B777-300ERs, 10 B777-200LR Worldliners and eight B777 freighters began last year and has helped to meet the increasing demand to our current destinations in over 60 countries. In addition, Emirates has taken delivery of 7 out of its 58 A380s orders, 30 expected to be delivered by
December 2012. These new aircraft will also help us explore exciting new destinations on every continent.
To apply to Emirates, candidates must have a minimum of 4000 total and 2000 multi-engine jet hours (preferably with MTOW of > 55 T), ICAO ATPL and ICAO English level (4 or above). We will provide candidates with a round trip ticket to Dubai from an Emirates destination to attend our Selection Programme.
For further information on all aspects related to flying for Emirates, and to apply online, please visit emiratesgroupcareers.com <http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/eng ... cid=149140>

Kathryn Ferguson
Recruitment Manager - Flight Operations
Human Resources
Emirates Airline & Group
Office: (+971 4) 708 1745
Fax: (+971 4) 286 4108
Email: [email protected]
http: www.emiratesgroupcareers.com <http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/>

P Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

New destination; as from September Dakar.

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

More and more carriers are starting up Africa routers, will Brussels Airlines feel this?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Outsync wrote:More and more carriers are starting up Africa routers, will Brussels Airlines feel this?
I don't think so... I have red the biggest 'foreign' feed into SN Africa flights comes from North-American carriers and the easiest way for them to get to Africa, accept for direct flights, is via a European stop-over. With UA, CO and US for the USA and AC for Canada, SN has some nice feeders into their African flights.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

In favor of quality air travel.

Kabila

Post by Kabila »

Now that Emirates has announced service from Dubai to Copenhagen (CPH), I believe it can't be long before we hear an annoucement for a DXB-BRU flight...

Well, at least that's what we might hope. Let's hope for winter 2011 or summer 2012 at the latest.

It is clear that Emirates has started focusing on smaller European cities now (Geneva starting June 2011, Copenhagen starting summer 2011, AMS last year,...), cities that were for many years not on EK's radar, are now being opened.

The amount of A380's coming in and being sent to LHR/CDG/... clearly liberates a lot of A330-200's and they have to send those planes somewhere I think, hence their decision to open smaller European cities.

Further, I can't believe that Map, who manage both CPH and BRU airports, wouldn't toss in an incentive to EK to open BRU and CPH ...

Finally, I don't believe that EK is caring wheter BRU is served by Etihad Airways (EY) and Qatar Airways(QR) already. Look at GVA, where EY and QR established themselves long before Emirates, yet, they are also getting into GVA now, same for CPH, where QR is present since 2008...

Has the final countdown for a BRU-DXB finally started? I hope so !

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Kabila wrote: Well, at least that's what we might hope. Let's hope for winter 2011 or summer 2012 at the latest.

Has the final countdown for a BRU-DXB finally started? I hope so !
Do you really hope for this? Actually I hope EK will stay away from BRU as long as possible. EK on it's own is a nice airline, but them starting flights to BRU would make it so much more difficult for other Asian airlines to start flights to BRU. And I prefer more different Asian airlines above just EK. QR and EY are already enough if you ask me.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Less than 5 years after this topic was opened, EK has today landed in BRU:

Eerste vlucht Emirates uit Dubai feestelijk verwelkomd op Brussels Airport

Op Brussels Airport is vandaag om 12.38 uur vlucht EK183 van luchtvaartmaatschappij Emirates geland. Daarmee werd de nieuwe dagelijkse verbinding Dubai-Brussel, die in april was aangekondigd, officieel in gebruik genomen. Het vliegtuig werd verwelkomd met een watergordijn. Emirates kondigde in april aan dat het vanaf september actief zou worden op Brussels Airport, met een dagelijkse rechtstreekse verbinding tussen Brussel en Dubai. Vrijdagmiddag landde dan het eerste vliegtuig afkomstig uit Dubai.
Emirates zet op de route een Boeing 777 in die plaats biedt aan 266 passagiers. Dat betekent een potentieel van ongeveer 200.000 reizigers per jaar tussen België en de Verenigde Arabische Emiraten.
De vlucht vertrekt elke dag om 7.50 uur lokale tijd in Dubai en landt rond 13.15 uur op Brussels Airport. De terugvlucht vertrekt normaal om 14.45 uur en komt aan op Dubai International Airport om 23.25 uur lokale tijd. De vluchtduur bedraagt ongeveer 7 uur.

http://nl.metrotime.be/2014/09/05/news/ ... s-airport/

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Here's the arrival :)
Attachments
031nasb.jpg

regi

Post by regi »

Despite my deep scepticism, I am happy that Emirates has added Brussels to its network.

I went through some of my comments, and honnestly speaking, I still don't get it why Emirates comes to BRU after most of the market is already taken by Etihad, Qatar and Thai :?
But time will tell. Hm...maybe the African destinations?

In the past we had a great prophet called NCB. What a days :P

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

regi wrote:I still don't get it why Emirates comes to BRU after most of the market is already taken by Etihad, Qatar and Thai :?
Instead of Thai, I would say Turkish ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Thierry Aucoc, Emirates VP Europe-Russia interviewed by "Le Soir" today page 21.
Extracts (my translation) :
- the good news for the consumer is that he is going to have a large choice between Emirates, Qatar and Etihad - Emirates offers a quality service and 145 destinations; the Dubai hub has an extraordinary efficacity (and is open 24/24).
- we try to grow internally, not with partners or by alliances.
- Emirates already comes to Liège with a full cargo; the 777 to Brussels will add a 17-20 tons capacity (the hold was already full for the first flight).
- Emirates doesn't get any help from the state of Dubai - bar a help of 10 million dollars at the start, in1985. Since then, nothing more. Our model of business is good - and we are not the only airline in the world that makes a profit !
- unless its neighbours, Dubai has no oil. The price of fuel at Dubai is the same for all the airlines that refuel there. Nobody believe that ? No worry - what is important is the relation with our customers. If they are happy with what we offer them, they'll be back.

Emirates operates 214 passenger aircraft (amongst them 51 Airbus 380) and 13 freight aircraft.
Around 160 Belgian (amongst them 90 pilots) work at Emirates. Turnover (chiffre d'affaires) in 2013-2014 : 22,5 billion dollars.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

What Aucoc fails to mention is that the Emirates employees do not pay any taxes at all in Dubai. Quite a competitive advantage, if you ask me!
André
ex Sabena #26567