the 787 is rolling !

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Mavke

the 787 is rolling !

Post by Mavke »

hi all, this morning the 787 did hes first slow taxitests !!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/50145437.html

kenny

teddybAIR

Re: the 787 is rolling !

Post by teddybAIR »

Well, the brakes seem to brake and the steering seems to do it's job...

Great plane allready!

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Great car ! :lol:
CX-B

But I want to see it flying... come'on Boeing!!
New types flown 2022.. A339

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Well,

It is all part of a rigorous stage-gate-process where the aircraft is progressively taken through increasingly demanding maneuvres. It is now at the stage where it performs fairly low-speed taxi's under it's own power, after a massive battery of static tests, towed taxi tests, exclusive engine tests at various regimes, etc.

Next steps are probably the high speed taxi to test the airframe's attitude and behaviour on take-off roll. Only when all these ground tests are performed, it will take to the skies for the first time.

Best regards,
Tom

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

Since it will be "several weeks" until Boeing will announce a flight schedule for the 787, it seem a little odd to me that they are doing slow-speed taxi test now. But then, I guess they need to show some progress.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

A little off subject, but it looks to me like the 2L door is located pretty close/in line with the number 1 engine. How will that affect the use of existing jetways at the 2L door for boarding and deplaning? Maybe im not seeing it correctly, any info? I know US Airways doesnt use the 2L door on its A321's for boarding and deplaning for that very reason.
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

Depretair

Post by Depretair »

Hello,

It must be frustrating for the pilot to start this marvellous plane, to gain speed without taking off.
I can't wait to hear it and see the first flight ...

isitabird?

Post by isitabird? »

Let's hope it is a beautiful plane in flight too. Aviation needs a successful 787 to fund the 737 replacement. Without a 737 replacement why would Airbus replace their cash cow A320?

tsv

Post by tsv »

isitabird? wrote:Let's hope it is a beautiful plane in flight too. Aviation needs a successful 787 to fund the 737 replacement. Without a 737 replacement why would Airbus replace their cash cow A320?
Let's hope someone (other than Boeing) takes over this market. If they keep stuffing up the 787 program it gives the opportunity to other designers to introduce an aircraft in this category so fingers crossed someone takes up the challenge and suceeds.

I'll be cheering for the MS21 but Embraer and Bombardier are also been given a golden opportunity to develop a large narrow body aircraft while A & B are occupied with their wide bodied programs.