EU to give green light to LH/SN soon!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Shanti

Re: EU to give green light to LH/SN soon!

Post by Shanti »

Belgium International Airways.....seems a very good name for a new company!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=31044

It seems that the deal is ok.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,
It seems we lost a month after VLM now SN the next generation!
Bye bye B-dots! We introduce Lufthansa Brussels/Belgium,boring white yellow!

Hope they will introduce some new routings-planes and nice code-shares partners in Zaventem!

but it feels that something gone...again!

But now..
QUESTION

I was thinking of flying to Berlin-tegel next easter with LH (eurowings CRJ200 ).
If I book this flight is there any garanty I have a flight with LH and the CRJ200?
of are the flights of SN/LH so soon put together.
Can I now be sure of the planned flight times/dates if I book today.

SN is 10 EUR cheaper than LH,but I rather pay 10 EUR more and take a flight with CRJ200 instead of the AR85. ( never flown CRJ before)

Some suggestions,argruments, opinions...

Greetings
CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

joyraider

Post by joyraider »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,
It seems we lost a month after VLM now SN the next generation!
Bye bye B-dots! We introduce Lufthansa Brussels/Belgium,boring white yellow!

Hope they will introduce some new routings-planes and nice code-shares partners in Zaventem!

but it feels that something gone...again!

But now..
QUESTION

I was thinking of flying to Berlin-tegel next easter with LH (eurowings CRJ200 ).
If I book this flight is there any garanty I have a flight with LH and the CRJ200?
of are the flights of SN/LH so soon put together.
Can I now be sure of the planned flight times/dates if I book today.

SN is 10 EUR cheaper than LH,but I rather pay 10 EUR more and take a flight with CRJ200 instead of the AR85. ( never flown CRJ before)

Greetings
CX-B
First off; there is absolutely no sign that Brussels Airlines would be branded anything else than Brussels Airlines - LH pledged they wouldn't change anything on that area, and besides, it'll take 2 more years for them to fully buy SN (if they get on with it).

To be honest, I think "Brussels Airlines" is a far better name than "Belgium International Airlines" or whatever; Brussels is known worldwide as an advanced "cosmopolitan" European city, while most people think Borat is actually from Belgium - it just doesn't have the same flair to it.

About your question regarding Tegel: I think you know yourself that no one knows the answer to that question at this moment :roll:

And for the fresh takeover news from Reuters: I think this is VERY good news for SN, and I'm pretty happy with it myself. Let's face it: it will never be like Sabena again, but this finally means that SN can grow out again, after a long period of being tied down by their financial & structural boundaries. The grass is always greener on the other side, but I believe SN still has alot of assetts that we can be proud of as Belgians: great maintenance & safe aircraft, good service, innovative marketing concepts from time to time, and - correct me if I'm wrong - an impressive status of efficiency & being on time.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

I think we can all stop discussing a name change. Nobody close to b.air or LH has ever indicated they would like to change the name. And it would not make any sense at all. Brussels Airlines works as a name (you can always discuss other alternatives of course if you want, but as long as the one in place works, why change it? It only costs money for new marketing campaigns).

LH has not even changed the name of Air Dolomiti, another 100% subsidiary they have in Italy. They even received the newest Embraer jets from LH and still fly under the name of Air Dolomiti - at the same time as they invented LH Italia. Why? Probably because Air Dolomiti is doing fine, is profitable and changing the name would not do anything, except for causing extra costs ... And Air Dolomiti is even flying as well to and from airports in Italy on behalf of LH which are quite far away from the "Dolomiti" mountains actually.

Unless there are clear indications that a problem exists with the name "Brussels Airlines" in the markets somewhere and that another name would enable the company to generate more money (and I cannot see this), I guess you can be 100% sure the name will not change.

But it is good news to hear we will all see a decision of the EU soon and that it might be positive!
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

cathay belgium wrote: SN is 10 EUR cheaper than LH,but I rather pay 10 EUR more and take a flight with CRJ200 instead of the AR85. ( never flown CRJ before)

I'll take the AR85 anytime before the CRJ200. Flew with the CRJ a couple of months ago in the USA/Canada with AC Jazz and this plane is definately on my "to avoid" list ;)

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

Bralo20 wrote: I'll take the AR85 anytime before the CRJ200. Flew with the CRJ ... and this plane is definately on my "to avoid" list ;)
I FULLY AGREE, the CRJ can only be beaten by the small Embraers in passenger-unfriendlyness. But unfortunately they seem to be very very economical to operate :cry:
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400

NCB

Post by NCB »

ARJ is by far the most comfortable RJ.
I always get a back ake from E-145/190's.
CRJ is ok.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Europese Commissie keurt overname SN Brussels Airlines goed
maandag 22 juni 2009Bron: belga Auteur: svh
Europese Commissie keurt overname SN Brussels Airlines goed

Belga
BRUSSEL - De Europese Commissie heeft maandag ingestemd met de overname van SN Brussels Airlines door de Duitse luchtvaartmaatschappij Lufthansa. De Commissie eist wel dat Lufthansa andere bedrijven ook de mogelijkheid biedt om vluchten uit te voeren op een aantal verbindingen tussen Brussel en Duitse en Zwitserse steden.

Tijdens een diepgaand onderzoek had de Commissie eerder dit jaar vastgesteld dat de overname van SN Brussels Airlines voor concurrentieproblemen dreigde te zorgen op de verbindingen van Brussel met Frankfurt, München, Hamburg en Zürich. Op de routes naar Hamburg en München zou de maatschappij zelfs over een monopolie beschikken.
P.S:En beetje raar SN brussels airlines ?

Lufthansa stelde daarop voor om een aantal slots aan te bieden, zodat andere maatschappijen ook vluchten zouden kunnen aanbieden op de vier routes. Samen met enkele andere toegevingen vanwege Lufthansa vergroot 'het efficiënt en snel mechanisme voor de toewijzing van slots' de kans dat er ook effectief concurrentie komt op deze verbindingen, stelt de Commissie.

Uit DE stadaard.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

Official by now:
http://www.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemingen ... 80-431.art

http://www.lecho.be/actualite/entrepris ... 82-585.art

Good luck SN on this new deserved chapter. Great news... Let's hope things will move AT LAST ! ;)

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Official EU press release about this :

(languages: EN NL FR DE)

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAct ... =IP/09/974

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brussels airlines wrote:Official corporate communications:

http://company.brusselsairlines.com/en/ ... :141-19321
Already posted on Luchtzak four hours earlier: viewtopic.php?p=218461#p218461
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

And which airline could operate the free slots to HAM, MUC, FRA, ZRH? An opportunity for Easyjet or some smaller airline from Germany or Switzerland or from an other country like BA did between billund - Brussels and Bern?

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

I guess this is good news!!

Surprisingly the Commission does not mention the Brussels-Berlin route?! Just because this one daily easy-jet flight from SXF, which is not too nicely located compared to TXL for most destinations in Berlin?! And adding Brussels-Hamburg to the routes with competition problems is surprising as well. The Commission should be happy any airline is serving that route direct at all ...

But ok, so if any competitor (who????, Air Berlin?, easyjet? ex-vlm now cityjet?) wants to start to fly from Brussels to Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg or Zurich LH will help them to get some attractive slots and they will be able to offer Miles&More miles on those routes - if nobody wants to start competition, LH and SN can take full advantage of their monopoly. Probably good for the company, and we will pay :cry: But that's life I guess ...

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Atlantis wrote:And which airline could operate the free slots to HAM, MUC, FRA, ZRH? An opportunity for Easyjet or some smaller airline from Germany or Switzerland or from an other country like BA did between billund - Brussels and Bern?
VLM have already been operating Rotterdam-Hamburg, and are now trying Antwerp-Frankfurt. And didn't I hear they only set up their Antwerp-Geneva service because no good slots were available for an Antwerp-Zurich?

I can imagine their new owners will happily try more operations in the heartland of a big competitor, as many as they can perhaps.

Megaman

Post by Megaman »

I actually see Lufthansa Belgium as a solid option (in line with the Lufthansa Italia choice and a much stronger brand than Brussels airlines in my opinion). My personal choice would go to Sabena by Lufthansa (I'm a nostalgic).

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

Guys, as said before, I'll say it again: The name will not change in the near future!

Now, today in 'Het Nieuwsblad': Brussels Airlines wants to fly to US.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail ... d=J82BNDB2

Only in Dutch, sorry.

Small translation: SN wants to expand in Africa and start ops to US when the crisis is over.

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

Megaman wrote:I actually see Lufthansa Belgium as a solid option (in line with the Lufthansa Italia choice and a much stronger brand than Brussels airlines in my opinion).
Like others have said, not going to happen. Swiss, Air Dolomiti etc have all been taken over by LH, and all kept their names and brand. The same will happen to SN, OS & BD: they most likely will keep their names and brand. It's the LH philosophy: a Multi Brand Airline Group.

LH Italia on the other hand is a special case. First of all this airline was built up from the ground by LH. Secondly, they choose this name because Lufthansa has a very good reputation in (northern) Italy. MUC is often considered to be the most northern Italian airport...

Reagarding this, the (almost unlikely) option of renaming SN Lufthansa Belgium (and/or OS LH Austria, BD LH UK etc) can not be seen 'as in line with the LH Italia choice'.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Starting ops to the US!? That would be great... which routes do you think they gonna target first?