New LCT at Brussels Airport opens 25 October 2009

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

New LCT at Brussels Airport opens 25 October 2009

Post by Atlantis »

This is official from the Brussels Airport webside.

The new LCT at Brussels Airport opens with the start of the new winter season. According to the photo print there will be NO pier, only a terminal. In that case they don't need a MER (if I remember well).

Aircraft: B737 and A320. Opening hours: 06.00h - 22.59h

The terminal will have no seats at the gates, two check-in desks per flight, no lounge,etc.

When there will be a congestion at the terminal, the airline with the most flights, seats, most punctual, etc will get a parking lot in front of the terminal.

Source: Brussels Airport.

Acid-drop

Re: New LCT at Brussels Airport opens 25 October 2009

Post by Acid-drop »

That's fast.
Who are the clients?

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

I hope also a new belgian company! :D

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

Acid-drop wrote:That's fast.
Who are the clients?
I suppose EasyJet will be one of the clients?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Acid-drop wrote:That's fast.
Who are the clients?
Like member Outsync says: Easyjet (would be the biggest user of this terminal) could be one of the users.

The future members (airline) of the "new" terminal could fill in an application form till June 1st. BAC request: airline, O&D, number of seats, type aircraft, number of flights, etc.

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

If you have a good management, you don't launch such investments without "reasonable insurance" that you're going to have customers. So my guess is that (I hope for them) they already have contacts...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Nevihta wrote:If you have a good management, you don't launch such investments without "reasonable insurance" that you're going to have customers. So my guess is that (I hope for them) they already have contacts...
Of course, the contacts and contracts are there already. This is only for the new future clients.
Brussels Airports has already a dozen LCC (real and sub-real) on its tarmac.

If you know us you should know that we (like we says in Dutch: niet het achterste van onze tong laten zien) ;)

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

I'm guessing Aer Lingus will also use the LCT. That's if both Schengen and non-Schengen destinations will be permitted???
Also Easyjet, Sky Europe, Blue Air, Transavia, Windjet, Vueling / Clickair, My Air, Atlas Blue and Jet4You are all potential customers of course...
I wonder will the LCT attract any NEW customers to the Airport in the first season.
It will be difficult given it being winter and the global recession, but it'd be fantastic to land an airline like Air Berlin, Norwegian, Jet2...

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Traditional carriers can only hope that LCC pax at BRU will be so disappointed (upset ?) by the lack of service and comfort in the LCT that they will be prepared to pay a bit more to fly a traditional airline and enjoy the benefits and comfort of Terminals A and B.
But with less pax in A and B because LCC pax will go through the LCT, Terminals A and B will become more pleasant (less pax) for those travelling on traditional airlines.
Shop owners at T-A & B will not be happy with less pax, so they might ask BRU for lower rents. What BRU might be earning with the LCT, might get lost somewhere else (lower rents from shops in Terminals A & B, or even shops closing down).
In favor of quality air travel.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Air Key West wrote:Traditional carriers can only hope that LCC pax at BRU will be so disappointed (upset ?) by the lack of service and comfort in the LCT that they will be prepared to pay a bit more to fly a traditional airline and enjoy the benefits and comfort of Terminals A and B.
Yes, they can only hope so ...
But we are in 2009, not in 1959, and there now is a lot of passengers that don't expect more service and confort in an airport than in, say, a railway or a metro station.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Charlie Roy wrote: I wonder will the LCT attract any NEW customers to the Airport in the first season.
It will be difficult given it being winter and the global recession, but it'd be fantastic to land an airline like Air Berlin, Norwegian, Jet2...
... and why not Ryanair ?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

that's an easy one :)
because it would increase a lot the price of the ticket for the pax

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Well, I know we're not in 1959 anymore. Actually, in 2009, unlike in 1959, if you travel by air and especially if you fly a LCC you are well advised to arrive at the airport at least two hours before departure, go through security and, then, perhaps wait (standind ? as there will apparently be no chairs at the gates) for an hour or so until you flight leaves (hoping there will be no delays). And the difference with a railway station or travel by train is that, except for the Eurostar to my knowledge, you can arrive at the railway station just a few minutes before departure. So there is less need for more "infrastructure" to accommodate travellers.
Maybe Atlantis can help me with one : I did not find anything concerning the opening of the LCT on Brussels Airport's web site, like you mentioned. Where is it posted ?
WIll check-in be in the old terminal ? I think the check-in in the old terminal is still operational, but I've never used it. Are there security lanes from there to the old terminal ? No seats at the gates, ok, but also no shops, no food and drink outlets ? (bars ? fast food ? Grab before you fly ?).

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Air Key West wrote:Well, I know we're not in 1959 anymore. Actually, in 2009, unlike in 1959, if you travel by air and especially if you fly a LCC you are well advised to arrive at the airport at least two hours before departure, go through security and, then, perhaps wait (standind ? as there will apparently be no chairs at the gates) for an hour or so until you flight leaves (hoping there will be no delays). And the difference with a railway station or travel by train is that, except for the Eurostar to my knowledge, you can arrive at the railway station just a few minutes before departure. So there is less need for more "infrastructure" to accommodate travellers.
Maybe Atlantis can help me with one : I did not find anything concerning the opening of the LCT on Brussels Airport's web site, like you mentioned. Where is it posted ?
WIll check-in be in the old terminal ? I think the check-in in the old terminal is still operational, but I've never used it. Are there security lanes from there to the old terminal ? No seats at the gates, ok, but also no shops, no food and drink outlets ? (bars ? fast food ? Grab before you fly ?).
The low cost check is at the very end of the old terminal, seperated from SN to Africa check in (row 12) with a wooden wall. From there people go trough passportcontrol in the old terminal (located at where they used to be) and will continue trough security. Then you come in the airside part of the old terminal (where also the Skyhall is) Level +1 is expanded and only roughly 1/4th of level 0 is not covered. You go to the far left and can take a stairway to go from +1 to 0 and back. At this side there are new offices for police, Securitas and some other companies and a hallway to the B-concourse. Although I doubt this will be in use since there is no passport nor security control foreseen.

When you go down to level 0 and you proceed to the far right of the building you can go trough another hallway and enter the C-concourse. I expect that the gates will be in this area. At the very end of the C-pier there are more offices and a small hallway into the satelite building which will be used as office building with federal police at ground levels and several BAC services on levels +1 and +2.

Regarding arrivals, this infrastucture is back where it used to be with two (or three?) luggage belts.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Air Key West wrote:Maybe Atlantis can help me with one : I did not find anything concerning the opening of the LCT on Brussels Airport's web site, like you mentioned. Where is it posted ?
It is on the Brussels Airport site: B2B, airlines, low cost terminal.
Air Key West wrote: No seats at the gates, ok, but also no shops, no food and drink outlets ? (bars ? fast food ? Grab before you fly ?).
Yes, there will be shops, restaurants, fast food, etc.
Brussels Airport will increase their retail also by this part of the terminal.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Thank you Conti764 , Thank you Atlantis.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

BATA, a group a the biggest belgian companies (Brussels Airlines, CargoB, JetairFly, TNT, VLM, Thomas Cook) are clearly against the new LCT in BRU.

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/actualit ... -cost.html

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

Acid-drop wrote:BATA, a group a the biggest belgian companies (Brussels Airlines, CargoB, JetairFly, TNT, VLM, Thomas Cook) are clearly against the new LCT in BRU.
Well, I can't see what's the point in Cargo B in this story. Perhaps someone can explain me ?
Or is it just by "solidarity" ?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Nevihta wrote:
Acid-drop wrote:BATA, a group a the biggest belgian companies (Brussels Airlines, CargoB, JetairFly, TNT, VLM, Thomas Cook) are clearly against the new LCT in BRU.
Well, I can't see what's the point in Cargo B in this story. Perhaps someone can explain me ?
Or is it just by "solidarity" ?
BATA is an organisation with members like SN, Jetairfly, TNT, Cargo B, Thomas Cook, etc. One of their tasks is to communicate with governments, Brussels Airport, etc. BATA is the spokesmen/woman for all these airlines.

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

thanks