Security chaos at Brussels last night

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Security chaos at Brussels last night

Post by sn26567 »

Conti764 wrote:I heard they are working on something that will resolve all problems before the summer season.
2010? We are already in the summer season!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

Security staff is so rude and so fascist that it makes going through security @ BRU a very unpleasant experience. While it is an option to remove your shoes, you are told that you MUST take your shoes off which is a true sign of their willingness to flex muscles. Those so call security agents don't hesitate to terrorise some passengers by shouting "You have a problem - I will call the police".
This is totally unacceptable and certainly not a very professional way to treat guests in a city which claims to be the capital of Europe.

Those people should be fired without being able to collect unemployment.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sn26567 wrote:
Conti764 wrote:I heard they are working on something that will resolve all problems before the summer season.
2010? We are already in the summer season!
Yes, but the busy summer season which starts in a few weeks.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Hi, Ducatibiker
I fully agree with you, but have you thought of sending a complaint to BRU ? This is more important than mentioning you disatisfaction here. If you have not, please do. Go to www.brusselsairport.be, click on Contact / Complaints / With regard to services at the airport. You can do it in any three languages (EN/FR/NL).
BTW, I took a copy of the free newspaper "zondag" at the baker's yesterday (Sunday). Securitas put an ad in it to recruit 75 part-time security agents for BRU.
In favor of quality air travel.

regi

Post by regi »

If that securit guy said to you that he would call the police, I would have said "go ahead".
After my experience at Heathrow where the same kind of rude security people made mistakes and a real police officer stepped in and reprimanded that BAA creature, I feel confident to answer those people in the same language. Don't worry, you won't be arrested or miss your flight. When that security guy calls police, he has to explain the situation and has to give it out of hands. It could be that you are even quicker through scanning than waiting in line with one of those left over Neanderthalers. ( no offence towards the entire staff, just to the rude ones )
My experience with the real airport police is much more positive than with the security personnel. ( I assisted a friend with a baby who arrived 1 day ahead of her visa . After some phone calls everything was aranged. The lady did not have to wait with the illegals in the "aquarium" but could stay in the officer's office unattended. The police was all very gentle, explained to her what happened and that they did everything to get it sourted out . She even got a free coffee or a tea )

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

Thanks you guys. The complaint has been sent to the Belgian Parliament and the European parliament. This is not the end.

SmilingBoy

Post by SmilingBoy »

Any new reports whether this is still going on? I have a Schengen flight tomorrow (Friday) at 7pm and would like to know how much in advance I need to come.

Is there any way to get fast lane access as SEN flying LH economy? Do they maybe have stickers at check-in they can put on the BP?

The last two flights I took were from DUS, no waiting there...

b720

Post by b720 »

I complained to the BRU authorities, by e mail.. two weeks later I get the response that they are looking into the problem ...??? but the bouquet was that they dared to advice me to help by emptying my pockets, belts, coins, laptop, etc before arriving at security!!! So now the passenger is responsible for the mess!!! I answered back and told them to basically ... OFF..

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

b720 wrote: but the bouquet was that they dared to advice me to help by emptying my pockets, belts, coins, laptop, etc before arriving at security!!! So now the passenger is responsible for the mess!!! I answered back and told them to basically ... OFF..
How do you draw such a conlusion? Maybe they just pointed out a way to reduce waiting times, they do not necessarily hold pax responsible by giving such advise.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

The fast lane is still history..and still no carpet to walk on once you have removed your shoes
Get rid of those circus managers, fast !

SmilingBoy

Post by SmilingBoy »

So, any advice what kind of queue is expected tonight? I don't want to leave work earlier than necessary, but I don't want to miss my 7pm flight either? Do you think it will be fine to arrive at 17:45?

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Hi SmilingBoy !
If you have printed your boarding pass before going to the airport and have no luggage to check in, one can consider that :
1. it will take you 5 mn to get to security ;
2. the longest queues mentioned on this forum are about 45 mn ;
3. depending on which gate you are boarding from, count another 10 mn from security to the gate ;
4. you should certainly not arrive at the gate later than 10 mn before departure.
So, 1+2+3+4 = 70 minutes or 1 hour and 10 minutes.
If you arrive at 17.45 for a flight leaving at 19.00 is should be ok, but you have not any marging should the queue at security even be longer. To be on the safe side, try to arrive at 5 o' clock. You will also be less stressed. I know it is no fun to arrive at the airport early and then wait and sit for a long time before boarding a flight, but is is even worse missing the plane.
Take advantage of the extra time to do something useful (work on your computer) or something fun like reading the newspaper, a good book or listen to some music on your MP3 or IPod if you have one. And try to relax. I know it's easier said than done, but it's worth trying.
And if you are faced with a very long queue at security (and possibly unacceptable behavior from the security agents) do send a complaint to Brussels Airport.

taz001

Post by taz001 »

I think it could be usefull to see on the Brussels Airport how many flights are leaving around that time in terminal A or B (depends where you go to ofcourse). And when you have some flights around the same time... be there early ;)

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Hi Ducatibaiker !
I fully agree with you. No carpet to walk through security once your shoes are taken off. In Madrid, people who have to take off their boots, get a plastic "foot cover" to put over their feet (as the name says it) to walk through security.
Another thing that bothers me in terms of hygiene is that people put their shoes (sometimes with dirty soles) in the trays which are then used again to put clothes and other personal belonging in it. How often are the trays cleaned ?

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

I have said it a hundred times, and I will say it again.
A bunch of idiots is mismanaging the airport.

They make a mess of everything.

Let BRU lose another 15 % of passengers, and kick out these idiots; start with a new team.

SmilingBoy

Post by SmilingBoy »

Air Key West wrote:Hi SmilingBoy !
If you arrive at 17.45 for a flight leaving at 19.00 is should be ok, but you have not any marging should the queue at security even be longer. To be on the safe side, try to arrive at 5 o' clock.
I did what you said, was at the airport at 17:05, got a FastLane sticker at LH F Checkin, get to security - queues of about 10-15 minutes, not too bad. But noone at FastLane - I walk straight through. No shoes off. Great! Was in SAS lounge at 17:25... Only more than an hour too early... Well, I can work from here, too...

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Well, you were an hour early, but avoided any stress. I made my calculations on a "worst case "scenario : no access to the fast lane and a very long queue (45 mn) at the other security checks. If you are sure you will get access to the fast lane, of course you can reduce "my" 45 minutes waiting at security to 10 minutes, just in case an idiot of a security agent lets ten or more pax into the fast lane just before you enter it which happened to me last week.
You said "no shoes off". If this is true again in the future, it is definitely a progress. I'm flying on Sunday. I'm anxious to see how things go.
Hope you had a good flight.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

JOVAN wrote:I have said it a hundred times, and I will say it again.
Yes, you said it already a hundred times, but nobody cares anymore... :roll:

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

Conti764 wrote:
No you are wrong, the situation is not improving and a lot of people do care - including some security agents themselves who are facing incompetent, racist, rude management. It is now time to review and acess this management which seemed to have been hired only on linguisitc abilities and not basic management skills.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Ducatibiker wrote:
Conti764 wrote:
No you are wrong, the situation is not improving and a lot of people do care - including some security agents themselves who are facing incompetent, racist, rude management. It is now time to review and acess this management which seemed to have been hired only on linguisitc abilities and not basic management skills.
This member is always complaining about the BRU-management and every little thing they do, so he marginalized his own comments.
About the security measures all complainers are right. But how so are they 'racist'? Are we getting the same bullshit again? :roll: