Ryanair in order talks for 400 jets with Boeing and Airbus

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

bxleu

Ryanair in order talks for 400 jets with Boeing and Airbus

Post by bxleu »

FT reports that Ryanair is in early talks with Boeing and Airbus about an order for 300-400 short-haul jets.
The deputy chief executive and chief operating officer for Ryanair said he expected the group to place the order within 24 months to take advantage of the weakening commercial aerospace market.

More at http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7589dc9c-f193 ... fd2ac.html

earthman

Re: Ryanair in order talks for 400 jets with Boeing and Airbus

Post by earthman »

The Irish carrier is seeking to repeat its coup of six years ago, when it ordered 100 aircraft and another 50 options in January 2002, close to the bottom of the last aviation recession.
Does this mean were are at the bottom again?

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

earthman wrote:
The Irish carrier is seeking to repeat its coup of six years ago, when it ordered 100 aircraft and another 50 options in January 2002, close to the bottom of the last aviation recession.
Does this mean were are at the bottom again?
They say sometime in the next 24 month, so they expect the bottom to be reached in that period 8-)
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Seriously, i'm impressed.
These guys changed the way we travel in Europe, they changed Europe.
Created thousand of jobs, created tourism in places where nobody wanted to go ...

Clever move again, they use the crisis as a big advantage.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Acid-drop wrote:Clever move again, they use the crisis as a big advantage.
The crisis IS a big advantage for companies who have good finances. I'm a assistant fleet & materialmanager for a large construction company and those days are actually a God's gift... I love doing business those days and the bottom asn't been reached yet. A lot of suppliers are knocking to my door to place an order with them. You can put preassure on them and buy at very nice conditions. From the smallest supplier of bolts to a large constructor of cars, trucks and machinery... Also delivery times are much shorter than ever (at least if they don't close a factory for a couple of weeks).

I hate to admit it, but I do love crisises :oops:

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Given their Boeing only fleet of 181 current 737-800's and 100 orders, it is my opinion it would be wise to stay with Boeing, unless Airbus offers them something they can't refuse and offer them planes at bottom prices.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

unless they want to buy something else than 737 ;)
for transatlantic flights for example

b720

Post by b720 »

Oh dear, can imagine flights to Africa from Charloi on Ryanair..
Their flight to Dakar might land in Timbuktu (Dakar Nord) :lol:

regi

Post by regi »

To Bralo:
strange to say from my position as a supplier: but I agree.
The last 2 years created unhealthy business models whereby customers were not more respected, and had to accept every crazy idea from their suppliers ( price increases, long delays, bad quality, no possibilities for follow up orders and/or new projects, no quotations etcetera )
It was very frustrating in sales because we had nothing left to sell and/or our prices were too high and the buyers promised that the day of revenge would come.
We are all customer and supplier in one way or the other.
And when we are active in this field we have to accept the normal market model.

Some restrictions:
  • like you said: watch out that they don't close a factory for a month ( on tax payers money ! )
    Take care that your supplier remains healthy enough to invest and exist.
    you are a supplier as well and your sales department will have to undergo the same burden as your suppliers. Don't do to others what ...

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Acid-drop wrote: created tourism in places where nobody wanted to go ...
Amen to that! In a couple of weeks I'm going for the second time on a short break to Limerick (Shannon), just for the chicken burgers and the Irish pub...

Love them or hate them, you can't deny they have some balls, a smart business plan, and the cash to make it all happen.

PYX

Post by PYX »

"BIDDING WAR: FAIL
Feb. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Airbus SAS Chief Commercial Officer John Leahy said the aircraft maker is not in discussions to sell Ryanair Holdings Plc hundreds of short-haul planes..."

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flightblogger/

achace

Post by achace »

PYX wrote:"BIDDING WAR: FAIL
Feb. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Airbus SAS Chief Commercial Officer John Leahy said the aircraft maker is not in discussions to sell Ryanair Holdings Plc hundreds of short-haul planes..."

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flightblogger/
I think this time O'Leary (or is it Leery?) made Airbus an offer they could refuse.
If as I suspect, it was a carbon copy to Boeing also, its just the opening round!