Ryanair wins case over Belgian airport aid

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TCAS

Ryanair wins case over Belgian airport aid

Post by TCAS »

Ryanair has won a European Union court challenge to an EU order blocking discounts it received from a Belgian regional airport.

The 2004 decision by the European Commission cancelled Ryanair’s accord with state-owned Charleroi airport in Belgium under which it paid less for landing fees and ground services.

Full article

Source: The Irish Times

Conti764

Re: Ryanair wins case over Belgian airport aid

Post by Conti764 »

It was an item on the VTM news of 19h. I didn't really pay attention since I was visiting somebody, but did I hear O'Leary say they could also fly to BRU while expanding at CRL? Now that would be a surprise... :shock:

GerryMcI2

Post by GerryMcI2 »

Conti764 wrote:but did I hear O'Leary say they could also fly to BRU while expanding at CRL?
What will he rename it to- Brussels Central? :)

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

surprise indeed.
Any written source ?

maybe for long haul then ?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

From my source, O leary is blaming BRU for attacking CRL. He says that the airports should not fight between each other because one is low cost, the other one is more general, so this attack is stupid.

I have to agree on that.

He says also that CRL might have 2 or 3 more planes based there from next summer.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

You can read that "article" in www.express.be.

I doubt it will happen unless ryanair will fly to destinations who are not served out of BRU. I think that there are lately a lot of rumours going around.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

There is no reason for CRL to not become as big as Hahn ... so why not

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

GerryMcI2 wrote:
Conti764 wrote:but did I hear O'Leary say they could also fly to BRU while expanding at CRL?
What will he rename it to- Brussels Central? :)
What about Real Brussels Airport? ;)

Anyhow, there are plenty of passengers ending up at the wrong airport with Ryanair tickets each day.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Conti764 wrote:It was an item on the VTM news of 19h. I didn't really pay attention since I was visiting somebody, but did I hear O'Leary say they could also fly to BRU while expanding at CRL? Now that would be a surprise... :shock:
Why not ? Ryanair also fly from Madrid Barajas, London Gatwick, Dublin ...
If BRU is able to make a turn-around in 25 minutes, and adapt its prices, why not ...
It would be nice to have Ryanair going from BRU to Rome, for example - a return FR ticket for 40-50 euros, as against 90 euros minimum for a Blight (soon to disappear) and around 400 euros for a Bflex - without having to go to Charleroi - that would be most interesting (and successful, I guess).

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Acid-drop wrote:There is no reason for CRL to not become as big as Hahn ... so why not
Especially as we learn elsewhere that Hahn is growing as small as Charleroi... FR-wise, at least...

pressman

Post by pressman »

What MOL actually said was that if the takeover of Aer Lingus is sucessful , then they might consider Zaventem as a base for them .