Delta to launch direct flights between Kenya and US

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

outofafrica

Delta to launch direct flights between Kenya and US

Post by outofafrica »

http://www.kbc.co.ke/story.asp?ID=53763

AND BESIDES NBO THEY WILL ALSO ADD ROB (Monrovia).

beaucaire

Re: Delta to launch direct flights between Kenya and US

Post by beaucaire »

Delta are beefing up Africa dramatically..
Johannesburg,Capetown,Accra,Monrovia,Abuja,Lagos,Nairobi,Cairo....

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Less serious: is the Obamania already showing?

More serious: these new routes will be taking passengers from SN/LH, I'm afraid.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

The route to Dakar/Nairobi will have 4 flights a week with a B767-300ER
The route to Lagos will have 5 flights a week with a B767-300ER

Route to Cape Town: 3 flights a week with a B767-300ER
Route to Johannesburg via Dakar will have a B777, but I have no idea what the frequentie will be

The other flights via Sal will have 1 or 2 frequenties a week with a B757-200ER.

Pretty impressive

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

It's very nice to see this development. The new merged DL will have a pretty impressive network covering large parts of the world. Don't they also fly to DXB? NW has Asia well covered and that will soon be part of a single network map. I guess they're not too bad on Central and Latin America either, even though I believe AA is the market leader there. One big hole in the offer seems to be the South Pacific, something's telling me this will happen soon or late, maybe together with AFKL.

Anyway, very good news indeed, do AA, CO and UA even touchdown anywhere on African soil?

taz001

Post by taz001 »

I wonder how they will cope with all security breaches over there.... ROB airport... ever been there? One screening machine that hardly works, a metal gate that does not work, everything to be done manually... The mandarory profiling and document check of passengers that has to be done before check-in. Aircraft guarding... search between every turnaround (it is not the same search as non- US airlines do, TSA requires thorough searches) Who is going to do this? Local (corrupt)? or will they send their own security officers along?

Ofcourse ROB is one of the worst places in West-Africa. Some other airports (like NBO, JNB, CPT, DKR,...) have a bit better equipment, but still... Last week, a passenger was stopped at the screening in terminal B with a knife in his carry-on, pap came out of DKR... Imagine that happens on a US carrier... they freak out!

But than again on the other hand, Americans are able to organise their projects pretty well, i am just curious how they do it... would love to see a TSA audit in Africa!