News from THY - Turkish Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Outsync

Re: New destinations from THY

Post by Outsync »

This is very impressive! Where do they get these aircraft's?

hakan

Post by hakan »

Aviation Journalist of Hurriyet Newspaper, Mr.Ugur Cebeci has published an article today. This is about THY's American flights. Some points:

*THY is flying 100% full on USA's flights. Washington flights will be increased to 6 per weekly and Los Angeles flights to 5 weekly and after March 2012 will be daily. They were only launched recently.

*54% of USA originated THY passengers are transit pax. Mostly Indians and Africans as well as Jewish and Middle Eastern people using Istanbul Ataturk as hub to go to their final destinations.

*THY is working closely with USAirways to start codeshare agreement with them by the end of this year.With this they will be aiming to fly the US diplomats around the world as they are not allowed to fly on non-US companies unless the flight has US Company flight number.

*THY is planning to launch further USA destinations: Houston, Detroit, Miami, Atlanta. Also Montreal in Canada and Mexico City in Mexico as well as Buenos Aires (I have written yesterday about this).

*THY has used the promotional soccer match between Barcelona FC and Manchester United FC in Washington FedEx Stadium very well to promote itself to US market. American star Kobe Bryant has given the cup to winning team -Manchester United after the game. THY is a sponsor to these clubs and Kobe Bryant is THY's Ambassador in USA.

Source: http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/pazar/18429889.asp?gid=381

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Also planned Hyderabad in India for next year with possible three more cities to be added there later, these are most likely Bangalore and Kolkata while Chennai considered for cargo.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Turkish Airlines (THY) might be one of the fastest growing airlines in the world, buying new aircraft a lightning speeds, but this brings some heavy drawbacks: Turkish Airlines is deeply in the red in the first half of year 2011, mainly on exchange rate losses (the Turkish lira fell sharply against the US dollar, the currency in which the majority of the fleet is leased) and fuel costs.

http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2 ... osts/page1
André
ex Sabena #26567

hakan

Post by hakan »

THY is re-starting Istanbul Ataturk-Benghazi (Libya) flights as 4 times weekly from 13.September.2011. Istanbul Ataturk-Tripoli (Libya) flights will also re-start as 4 times weekly after 24.September.2011

Also, Istanbul Ataturk-Shiraz flights will be increased from 4 times a week to 5 times a week after 20.September.2011.

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

TK have suspended cargo station Gatwick and domestic route Mardin.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Turkish Airlines announced today that it has placed an order for 20 Boeing 737-800s and 15 Boeing 737-900ERs. All of these next generation aircraft will be delivered with the innovative Sky Interior that brings a new level of design and comfort to passengers. Four of the aircraft (2 Boeing 737-800, 2 Boeing 737-900ER) will be delivered and added to the airline’s fleet in November and December, 2011, with delivery of the all airplanes to be completed until the end of 2015. These new aircraft are a part of Turkish Airlines’ ongoing fleet expansion and renewal, giving the carrier one of the most modern and technologically advanced fleets in the world.

hakan

Post by hakan »

globetrotter wrote:TK have suspended cargo station Gatwick and domestic route Mardin.
Thanks Globetrotter...Mardin flights have been postponed until the Mardin airport and terminal building re-developed. This airport became so popular so fast, they need an urgent upgrade on facilities and runway etc. There are talks Mardin might be also open to the international flights after this project.

cnc

Post by cnc »

Boeing767copilot wrote:Turkish Airlines announced today that it has placed an order for 20 Boeing 737-800s and 15 Boeing 737-900ERs. All of these next generation aircraft will be delivered with the innovative Sky Interior that brings a new level of design and comfort to passengers.
the 15 737-900ERs will also have an extra fuel tank and will be deployed on africa routes

Flanker

Post by Flanker »

15 B739ER's for Africa. Depending on utilization and schedules, that's equivalent to 25 destinations.
A nice investment for the future.

Turkish is well-positioned to become a main player on the intercontinental traffic to Africa with the recent launch of a series of oil routes in the U.S.

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

TK will be flying to Mitiga International Airport in Tripoli.

hakan

Post by hakan »

THY has sent a statement to Istanbul Stock Exchange indicating some new destinations for winter 2012 based on aircraft availability as well as security (for some African destinatons):

Istanbul Ataturk-Mogadishu (Somalia)
Istanbul Ataturk-Misrata (Libya)
Istanbul Ataturk-Novosibirsk (Russia)
Istanbul Ataturk-London Gatwick (U.K.)

hakan

Post by hakan »

THY has sent a statement to Istanbul Stock Exchange indicationg some new destinations:

Istanbul Ataturk-Ulaanbaatur (Mongolia)
Istanbul Ataturk- Abuja (Nigeria)
Istanbul Ataturk- Kano (Nigeria)

Turkish and Colombian governments have signed an agreement abolishing visa requirements between their citizens. Both governments have also signed a civil aviation agreement to allow their own airliners to operate between two countries.

capetown

Post by capetown »

hakan wrote:THY has sent a statement to Istanbul Stock Exchange indicating some new destinations for winter 2012 based on aircraft availability as well as security (for some African destinatons):

:o Somalia ? Are you sure ? I would be surprised if any airline would be considering starting up flights to that dreadful place ? Would there be any pax for that place - I guess most NGO's fly in with chartered planes ?
As to Misrata : don't they already fly to Tripoli (a mere 400 kms away from Misrata), AND Benghazi ? What would be the point in opening a third destination in a country with just over 6 million people ?

hakan

Post by hakan »

capetown wrote:
hakan wrote:THY has sent a statement to Istanbul Stock Exchange indicating some new destinations for winter 2012 based on aircraft availability as well as security (for some African destinatons):

:o Somalia ? Are you sure ? I would be surprised if any airline would be considering starting up flights to that dreadful place ? Would there be any pax for that place - I guess most NGO's fly in with chartered planes ?
As to Misrata : don't they already fly to Tripoli (a mere 400 kms away from Misrata), AND Benghazi ? What would be the point in opening a third destination in a country with just over 6 million people ?
Hello Capetown, I don't know.I don't work for THY. I share the information available to media with our forum here. Please remember Kabul-Afghanistan...From my memory, THY was the first scheduled airliner flew there. They had no problems.

Somalia? Yes the airport is not safe. A THY plane who brought the Turkish PM avoided a dog on runway hit the bushes and damaged its wing. If they improve the security of airport, I guess, they think they can serve the aid people as well as overseas living Somalian passengers.

For Misrata, I guess, close to half a million Turkish workers who were living and working in Libya before will go back to Libya to re-build the country. The new regime has asked the Turkish Govt for help to re-build the country. If that happens the planes will be busy.

These are my opinions, not necessarly THY. I guess, we will see what happens next.

Thanks. :)

Maho Bay

Post by Maho Bay »

capetown wrote: :o Somalia ? Are you sure ? I would be surprised if any airline would be considering starting up flights to that dreadful place ? Would there be any pax for that place - I guess most NGO's fly in with chartered planes ?
According to UN in 2009 14% of Somalia's population lived abroad (in total more than 1 million with aprox. 2000 of them in Belgium) and I can imagine that as a result of the war the diaspora has only grown.

With the Somali diaspora being the major investor in the economy I can imagine when things get safer there will be sufficient demand to MGQ. Especially when the airline connects to the US and to Western Europe, which is not the case at the moment.

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Please remember Kabul-Afghanistan...From my memory, THY was the first scheduled airliner flew there. They had no problems.
Wrong KBL was started by Iran's Mahan Air in 2001 just a little while after Taleban were ousted but they flew to Bagram Airfield which is a military base in another city some distance away and not Kabul Airport, followed by PIA and much later Indian Airlines and in 2005 Air Arabia became the first Arab airline to serve Afghanistan.

In between a number of others came in and left these included charters by defunct LTU which was the first European Airline to serve KBL, Iran Air Tours who flew in for Iran Air, later the service was taken over by Iran Air itself, Tajik Air also served KBL for a while, all these were scheduled.

Iran Aseman also fly there and there is fLy Dubai, all these came before TK. Emirates Cargo and Etihad Cargo also fly there as did TK Cargo from August or September who ended service last month.

hakan

Post by hakan »

globetrotter wrote:
Please remember Kabul-Afghanistan...From my memory, THY was the first scheduled airliner flew there. They had no problems.
Wrong KBL was started by Iran's Mahan Air in 2001 just a little while after Taleban were ousted but they flew to Bagram Airfield which is a military base in another city some distance away and not Kabul Airport, followed by PIA and much later Indian Airlines and in 2005 Air Arabia became the first Arab airline to serve Afghanistan.

In between a number of others came in and left these included charters by defunct LTU which was the first European Airline to serve KBL, Iran Air Tours who flew in for Iran Air, later the service was taken over by Iran Air itself, Tajik Air also served KBL for a while, all these were scheduled.

Iran Aseman also fly there and there is fLy Dubai, all these came before TK. Emirates Cargo and Etihad Cargo also fly there as did TK Cargo from August or September who ended service last month.

Thanks for the correction.
Hakan

regi

Post by regi »

capetown wrote:

This BBC article shows some reality on the ground that is more positive than we normally hear.
And for member Hakan: just at the end of the article they mention a Turkish guy bicycling around town. Great. Let us hope, first of all for the innoscent civilians, that things will stabilize and improve.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15771125
And as the picture shows: as long as those lads enjoy a swim in the sea,instead of wielding a AK47, things are fine.

hakan

Post by hakan »

regi wrote:
capetown wrote:

This BBC article shows some reality on the ground that is more positive than we normally hear.
And for member Hakan: just at the end of the article they mention a Turkish guy bicycling around town. Great. Let us hope, first of all for the innoscent civilians, that things will stabilize and improve.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15771125
And as the picture shows: as long as those lads enjoy a swim in the sea,instead of wielding a AK47, things are fine.
Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey, Mr. Bozdag has visited Mogadishu, Somalia and has told media that Turkish Government will re-built the Mogadishu Airport. He explained the first thing they will do is to secure the airport parameter.
I guess with this project THY can fly to Mogadishu without any safety fear later.

Source: http://www.zaman.com.tr/haber.do?habern ... elini-atti