News from THY - Turkish Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

hakan

New destinations from THY

Post by hakan »

THY has announced that they will be introducing daily flights from Istanbul Ataturk to Bologna Italy from 1.March.2010.

Meanwhile, the frequency of some domestic flights will be increased to "daily flights". They are:
From Istanbul Ataturk to Amasya Merzifon, Mus, Sinop and Adiyaman. :)

hakan

Re: New destinations from THY

Post by hakan »

THY's G.M. Mr.Temel Kotil was visiting Spain to celebrate the 25th year of launching Istanbul-Madrid flights. He told to the press as well as currently flying to Madrid and Barcelona, they would also like to fly Sevilla, Malaga and Bilbao subject to regulatory approvals. He didn't indicate any launch dates for these new destinations. :D

hakan

Brussels Flights

Post by hakan »

THY also has decided to keep the twice a week Eskisehir-Brussels flights for their winter period. At the beginning they were planning them as summer flights. Due to high and constant demand they have decided to keep the flights.
Last edited by hakan on 06 Nov 2009, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Any hints on whether SN and TK will codeshare on flights between BE and TR when SN joins Star Alliance?

hakan

Post by hakan »

BrightCedars wrote:Any hints on whether SN and TK will codeshare on flights between BE and TR when SN joins Star Alliance?
I haven't heard about it , but THY intends to do codeshare with Star Alliance members in some flights. If I hear anything I will let you know.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

I think we can expect this in December or so, when SN is a full *A member.

hakan

frequency increases from THY

Post by hakan »

THY has announced that some long distance destination frequencies will be increased next summer:

Istanbul-Seoul flights will be increased from 4 times a week to 5 times a week from 9.July.2010.

Istanbul-Tokyo flights will be increased from 4 times a week to 6 times a week and Istanbul-Osaka flights will be increased from 3 times a week to 4 times a week.They both will start on 28.March.2010. :D

TripleD

Post by TripleD »

BrightCedars wrote:Any hints on whether SN and TK will codeshare on flights between BE and TR when SN joins Star Alliance?

Hi Bright Cedar,

Just to inform you that SN has right now a lot of codeshare analysis on their plate. TK is actually on the bottom of their list, priority today goes to the larger asian and us carriers, as well as finetuning codeshares with their 'sister' airlines.

hakan

news from THY

Post by hakan »

THY has made a statement to the Istanbul Stock Exchange that they are leasing 2 off B737-400 from CIT for 4 years. The aircarft will be delivered on December 2009. MSN are 34299 and 34300. :D

hakan

Dhakar and Sao Paulo

Post by hakan »

The current IST-DKR-GRU-DKR-IST flights will be seperated from 28.March.2009 and will be individually flown as non stop destinations. IST-DKR-IST and IST-GRU-IST non stop flights will be 3 times a week.

hakan

Barcelona FC

Post by hakan »

There are some media reports that THY is about to sign a sponsorship agreement with Barcelona FC for 3 years. It is understood that THY will pay approx. 3 Million Euros per year to Barcelona FC in return to become their offical carrier (sponsor).
An announcement will be made shortly, they say.

Apart from that, it was told that Manchester United has also approached to THY for a similar deal after the news about Barcelona FC surfaced. :lol:

hakan

Post by hakan »

THY Board has announced today that THY will start scheduled services from Istanbul Ataturk to Dhaka, Bangladesh and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam in 2010. I understand more information will be released later.

hakan

A big blow to THY

Post by hakan »

There was a suprise announcement from THY's Chairman Mr. Candan Karlitekin yesterday.........citing internal disagreements, Mr. Karlitekin has tendered his resignation from THY's board effective of 1.1.2010. It is understood that he has already left the office at THY and told the reporters that he couldn't stayed in the office any longer due to constant disagreements in the boardroom.

According to rumors he may get a job in the Presidency office as he is close to Mr.Gul who is the current President of Turkey.

I guess this is a big blow to THY??? :cry:
Last edited by hakan on 19 Dec 2009, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

hakan

New Chairman

Post by hakan »

THY has elected the new Chairman today. Mr.Hamdi Topcu who was second in charge in the board room after Mr. Candan Karlitekin, has been elected as the new Chairman to THY.

Meanwhile,THY is increasing frequency some of its flights:

Istanbul Ataturk-Damascus flights will be increased from 12 times a week to 14 times a week for the period of 4.January-28.February.2010 and then to 21 times a week for the period of 1.March-27.March.2010.

Istanbul Ataturk-Hatay flights will be increased from 14 times a week to 21 times a week as of 7.January.2010.

Hatay is fast becoming a very popular destination for THY as the passenger numbers there booming! I understand the locals, tourists and the Syrians over the border using this airport lots. Hatay has interesting historical and religious places to see. :D

hakan

seansonal flights

Post by hakan »

THY has announced that they will launch some seasonal flights from Paris and Milan to several Turkish destinations between July and September 2010. They are as follows:

From Paris to Ankara, Antalya, Bodrum and Izmir
From Milan to Antalya and Bodrum.

hakan

Interview with Mr.Topcu

Post by hakan »

Ugur Cebeci, a journalist from Hurriyet Newspaper, had an interview with the new chairman of THY, Mr.Topcu. According to published interview, apart from what I have written before on this forum, he added couple of new points:

*THY is pushing with aircraft manufacturers to receive long distance aircraft earlier than agreed timetable. If there is any cancellation of orders by any other airliner, THY wants to get their hands on these aircraft .......

*They plan to launch Istanbul Ataturk-Los Angeles flights by March 2010. The next destination in U.S.A. after L.A. will be Washington D.C.

*THY's current 3x weekly Istanbul Ataturk-Toronto are going very well with 92% load factor. THY has officially applied to Canadian Civil Aviation to increase the frequency on Toronto flights to daily and also launch Istanbul Ataturk-Montreal flights too.

*Sydney,Australia is also in line. As soon as THY has enough long distance aircraft they will launch Istanbul Ataturk-Sydney flights. (My note- what I heard among the Sydney Turkish community that THY has indicated that the launch of Sydney flights will be by end of 2010 or early 2011 :D ). THY has already an established sales office in Sydney for years.

hakan

New orders with Airbus

Post by hakan »

THY has informed the Istanbul Stock Exchange that they have placed new firm and optional orders with Airbus for some new a/c:

According to the statement, THY has ordered 14 off A321-200 and 6 off A319-100 from Airbus for delivery during the period of 2011-2012 with a option for further 10 off A319/321 a/c for 2013.

Source: Istanbul Stock Exchange

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Flown TK BRU-IST-BEY and back over the year-end holidays. Online check-in available for all legs ensured we always flew together, which is important as a party of 4 with two young children.

BRU-IST, A321, very nice plane (widescreen PTVs, seat colors), obviously a bird coming from Kingfisher of India. Very nice hot meals, but crew without a clue on organization and in languages (no English!) About 3h delay and that wasn't very nice. Bus transfer to the terminal, a rather fast driver.

Transfer at IST is sort of chaotic with security people shouting destinations in some sort of English (when Johannesburg sounds like Jerusalem, you wonder).

IST-BEY, A321, horrible airplane compared to the previous one, dark blue cloth seats, urine smell, no PTVs, crew didn't have much better clue. Flight delayed 3h to allow for our connection (60+ pax doing BRU-BEY on these TK flights alone!).

BEY-IST, A321, more recent airplane with leather turquoise seats, no PTV, nearly on time departure, better crew.

Transfer at IST in the early morning is total chaos with a mass of people coming out from so many planes having to squeeze into a 2 meter wide door manned by 1-2 guards checking every single one of them and eventually sending some away after the wait for random checks, or most for checks linked to their destination. The airport definitely needs to work on this.

IST-BRU, 738, decent airplane as well, but much lower product compared to the inbound BRU-IST. Bus transfer to the plane, on a rainy day, not even a covered stair to board the plane, this sucks. Nice food offering again. Almost an hour late on arrival in BRU.

All in all a good experience but a feeling that IST is becoming too small for TK's ambitions and that TK's growth is being so rapid that quality inevitably suffers.

I do hope they will time their BEY flights a bit better, maybe make one of them daytime, because two red-eyes leaving within 2 hours of each other isn't exactly friendly.

Next trips will be on LH then CY.

b720

Post by b720 »

Bright cedars, I had a very similar experience on TK during the holidays.. BRU-IST-DXB and back..

Bru-Ist 45 min delayed but ok, compared to other flights when it snowed in BRU.. Food offering quite good, crew nice but indeed language problems.. however the nightmare was at Ist. the transfer through that tiny corridor leading to an escalator.. a huge crowd.. and gate changes last min. positive side, that security is at the gate in Ist, so less stress when connecting.. flight Ist-dxb delayed over an hour (while seated i the plane) waiting for transferring pax..

Return from dxb-Ista-Bru went very smoothly..(actually was a better experience than the stress at Zurich when flying in from DXB) I agree that something should be done at Ist airport for transferring pax..and indeed, almost half of BRU-Ist flight were people transfering to BEY. their gate was next to ours in Ist.. recognized most faces frm BRU..

hakan

comments

Post by hakan »

Hello Brightcedars and b720,

May I suggest both of you to email your THY experinces and observations to THY's GM, Mr. Temel Kotil on
[email protected]
as I understand he is keen to listen to his passengers observations and take them on board with his internal people to address the issues etc.
I see your valid points on your comments and THY needs to hear them too. I mean the senior management of THY.
Thanks heaps.
Hakan