2008-2009 Charleroi Airport (CRL) latest news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

stefanel

Re: Charleroi Airport (CRL) latest news

Post by stefanel »

Charlie Roy wrote:SANTANDER

Spanish media expects Ryanair to announce Charleroi - Santander shortly:

http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/20090123 ... 90123.html
Todo parece indicar que la primera de esas dos rutas en establecer vuelo será la que una Parayas con Bruselas. Y su puesta en marcha se producirá en el plazo de dos meses.
Yes, it's been years I heard the next desination would be Santander and it didn't happen yet.
In fact, I don't think it's such a great destination. I would prefer Santiago...

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Does somebody know if CRL actually and officially is now cat III, or not ?

epsilon

Post by epsilon »

A81/2009
Valid from : 20/01/2009 05:38 Until : 31/01/2009 22:00 EST
Text : ILS RWY 25 CAT III OPERATIONS NOT CERTIFIED .MINIMA RWY 25 FOR LANDING 600M AND TAKE-OFF 200M. ILS RWY 25 CAT I AVBL.

Mercator

Post by Mercator »

Apparently Charleroi is now CAT III !
New NOTAM today :
A113/2009
Valid from : 27/01/2009 07:43 Until : 30/04/2009 13:59 EST
Text : ILS RWY 25 CAT III OPERATION CERTIFIED. MINIMA FOR LANDING 200M AND TAKE OFF 150M AVBL
It is good news, because the RVR now is 225 meters... :roll:

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Great news ! :)
The pax don't even know how lucky they are ;)
btw, do you have a website for real time notam ?

Mercator

Post by Mercator »

Mercator

Post by Mercator »

As we can see in the ATIS the CAT III operations have started :

EBCI ATIS K 0950Z
EBCI INFORMATION
EXP VECTORING FOR ILS APPROACH ARR RWY25 DEP RWY25
RSCD RWY25 DAMP TRL FL045 LOW VISIBILITY OPERATION IN PROGRESS
040/6KT VIS 100M RVR RWY25 225M 250M 250M FZFG OVC100FT
TMS2 DPMS3 QNH 1013HPA
NOSIG
CONFIRM ATIS K

They need more than one hour to install the low visibility operations, that's probably why we had at least two diversions to LGG (according to BSCA and Ryanair websites).

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

Another sign : a flight diverted to Liège is landing in Charleroi at this very moment... which would have never happened with such a low visibility in the past.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

stefanel wrote:a flight diverted to Liège is landing in Charleroi at this very moment
?????????????????
been smoking?
or the pilots?

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

jan_olieslagers wrote:
stefanel wrote:a flight diverted to Liège is landing in Charleroi at this very moment
?????????????????
been smoking?
or the pilots?
No it was on their website, on the arrival screen.
It makes sense since some fligths were diverted to Liège in the morning, then they flew back to Charleroi when the ILS was operational. What is wrong with that?

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

A few interesting informations about the CRL ILS cat III in "Le Soir" , 28 january 2009, page 20 :
- One hour is necessary to put the ILS in operation, in order to inspect the runway (by car) - that delay will be reduced once CRL has a ground radar.
- the CRL capacity of 20 flights per hour is reduced to 4 flights per hour by cat III conditions. There could thus still be diversions, for instance when an aircraft is short on fuel.
- the CRL ILS allows landing with 200 m visbility (150 m in a few months from now) and take-off with 150 m (soon down to 125 m)
- in 2008, 20 days of fog had caused 102 diversions.

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

Correct info about the 2 diversions to LGG. Someone of my family was on board of the BGY-CRL flight (a flight that diverted).
- the CRL capacity of 20 flights per hour is reduced to 4 flights per hour by cat III conditions. There could thus still be diversions, for instance when an aircraft is short on fuel.
As for the fuel here, pilots take extra fuel in such conditions. It would be crazy to fly with minimum fuel with LVP expected...! So I guess that wouldn't be the reason for a diversion here...

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

stefanel wrote:
jan_olieslagers wrote:
?????????????????
been smoking?
or the pilots?
No it was on their website, on the arrival screen.
It makes sense since some fligths were diverted to Liège in the morning, then they flew back to Charleroi when the ILS was operational. What is wrong with that?
Well if you had said "a diversion to Liège was cancelled" or "a plane first diverted to Liège came back to Charleroi" I could have understood... A plane diverted to A then landing at B makes no sense to me, excuse me for being simple and straightforward...

-SCQ-

Post by -SCQ- »

stefanel wrote:
Charlie Roy wrote:SANTANDER

Spanish media expects Ryanair to announce Charleroi - Santander shortly:

http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/20090123 ... 90123.html
Todo parece indicar que la primera de esas dos rutas en establecer vuelo será la que una Parayas con Bruselas. Y su puesta en marcha se producirá en el plazo de dos meses.
Yes, it's been years I heard the next desination would be Santander and it didn't happen yet.
In fact, I don't think it's such a great destination. I would prefer Santiago...
There are rumours about both a SDR-CRL and SCQ-CRL for years ...

It looks like Santander will get it soon. Santander is right now the main candidate to become Ryanair's base in north Spain (their 'competitors' are Santiago de Compostela and maybe Zaragoza): recently some papers wrote that the Cantabrian Government were in talks with Ryanair and offered a lot more money then the Galician one.
Another 'problem' for Santiago is that the city is only about 200-220 km away from Porto, who already has 12-13 FR-destinations and will also become a FR-hub in a near future.
I'm afraid that specially due to geographic reasons SDR (near to Bilbao) and OPO (quite big metropolitan area and Vigo is also quite near) will be the operational bases of the north and north-west part of the Iberian Península.

And in the meantime Galicians still don't have a direct flight to Belgium ...

-SCQ-

Post by -SCQ- »

Ok, here's the announcement:

From 1 April: CRL-SDR, 2 times a week; wednesday and sunday. Later probably 4 weekly flights.

danieln

Post by danieln »

According to the newspaper De Standaard, Ryanair is in final negotiations with CRL to base 1 or 2 extra aircraft at the airport, from 31. March or latest from this summer.

A new destination will be announced shortly: La Rochelle. No news yet about flight days or frequencies.

pressman

Post by pressman »

Two more planes now confirmed to be based in CRL , no new routes as yet but they will be taking over a lot of incoming routes .

bruworld

Post by bruworld »

hello,

can you give us your source??

-SCQ-

Post by -SCQ- »

pressman wrote:Two more planes now confirmed to be based in CRL , no new routes as yet but they will be taking over a lot of incoming routes .
Not yet an official confirmation, though?

Ryanair should announce today a new route to Santiago de Compostela and some local media mention Charleroi as the most likely new destination. Fingers crossed!

danieln

Post by danieln »

New Ryanair flights to be announced tomorrow:

Charleroi - Brindisi
Charleroi - Palma de Mallorca
Charleroi - La Rochelle

No news yet on frequencies.