The future of Brussels Airlines with Lufthansa

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing747-nurse

Re: The future of Brussels Airlines with Lufthansa

Post by Boeing747-nurse »

kiwiandrew wrote:I have just been playing around on great circle mapper website with the various LH group hubs ( yes , I know , I am a tragic case ! ) and even though I do not think that SN should jump on to the North America bandwagon it did occur to me that BRU is the furthest north/west point out of the 5 hubs that the LH group will dominate ( BRU FRA MUC VIE ZRH ) which ( just to prove that I can see both sides of the case ) could potentially make it a good hub for transatlantic traffic from European points which could not justify their own transatlantic services . I still think that in the short to medium term this is likely to mean SN gaining revenue by 'collecting' these pax to feed to AC/US/CO/UA operated services rather than SN operating their own services to North America , but I have been wrong before so maybe in the long term I will be wrong about this too .

slightly off topic , but does anyone have any hints for the proposed *A joining date for SN - I hear that it is supposed to be before the end of 2009 but haven't heard anything more specific ? I wondered if the same date that Privilege switches over to M&M could be it ?
it's funny because I was just doing almost the same thing, I mean, looking at the route maps of the different LH-group airlines. But it's better to look on circle mapper website like you did, because that realy gives a good impression of the different LH hubs.

I think 27th of october, for the joining of * Alliance.

Boeing747-nurse

kiwiandrew wrote:I have just been playing around on great circle mapper website with the various LH group hubs ( yes , I know , I am a tragic case ! ) and even though I do not think that SN should jump on to the North America bandwagon it did occur to me that BRU is the furthest north/west point out of the 5 hubs that the LH group will dominate ( BRU FRA MUC VIE ZRH ) which ( just to prove that I can see both sides of the case ) could potentially make it a good hub for transatlantic traffic from European points which could not justify their own transatlantic services . I still think that in the short to medium term this is likely to mean SN gaining revenue by 'collecting' these pax to feed to AC/US/CO/UA operated services rather than SN operating their own services to North America , but I have been wrong before so maybe in the long term I will be wrong about this too .
I think for transferring passengers in Europe ,comming from Holland, France, and Spain, and wanting to fly with a Star alliance/LH group airline, BRU will be, geographically, the ideal LH group Hub.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Indeed. And you'll find additional details in my earlier post (yesterday 27 SEP 17:50 h) in the paragraph starting with "Because slots come at a premium..." (page 24 of this thread).
In favor of quality air travel.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

On the website of Brussels Airlines it isn't possible anymore to book flights to Kiev from 25 october. So it seems the codeshare with Ukraine International will stop from 25 october. A bit strange, because Ukraine international isn't a member of any airline alliance. And there is no replacement that I can find on the website of SN with another airliner. Flights to Bucharest are also gone from 25 october but that is something I can understand because Tarom is a Skyteam associate member.

Boeing747-nurse

Lufthansa and Jet Blue have asked permission at the US Ministery of transport to codeshare on flights between Europe and JFK.
This together with CO joining Star at the end of this year will make New York ( EWR and JFKL ) another and important hub for Star Alliance, besides ORD and IAD.
Maybe an SN flight to JFK in the near future after all? ;-))

Boeing747-nurse

Here's a link to the article in the Financial Times:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/db288cda-95c4 ... abdc0.html

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Boeing747-nurse wrote:Maybe an SN flight to JFK in the near future after all? ;-))
I don't hope so. Besides, Jetblue is still no Star Alliance member and this codeshare probably only matters for LH flight from Europe (FRA, MUC,...) to JFK.

fretn

Post by fretn »

Lufthansa seems to be ready for a huge expansion once the economy picks up, I wonder how it will look within 5 years

Boeing747-nurse

Here's a link to the press release on the LH website;
http://konzern.lufthansa.com/en/html/pr ... 59/HOM&s=0

LH will be codesharing on certain flights of Jet Blue out of JFK and Boston; a very good opportunity for SN to open BRU -Boston.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Boeing747-nurse wrote: LH will be codesharing on certain flights of Jet Blue out of JFK and Boston; a very good opportunity for SN to open BRU -Boston.
You can fly BRU-BOS within a couple of months with AA... The flight has a technical stop in LHR.

And actually I don't see the big benefit of JetBlue, it's a LCC... No business class (or First in the US)...

Stij

Post by Stij »

Bralo20 wrote:And actually I don't see the big benefit of JetBlue, it's a LCC... No business class (or First in the US)...
But with a service in Y that beats the big US carriers (34" seat pitch, free audio, TV and wifi everywhere...)

I never flew them, but my US friends just love them!

Cheers,

Stij

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Stij wrote: But with a service in Y that beats the big US carriers (34" seat pitch, free audio, TV and wifi everywhere...)

I never flew them, but my US friends just love them!

Cheers,

Stij
I only take United on continental flights within the US, as a UA elite member I can freely chose E+ seats which have also improved legroom ;) But the WiFi is nice...

Only tried AC Jazz besides UA & UAX but that's as bad as the other US carriers. However I would like the fly with Virgin America one day ;)