Charleroi's runway extension approved

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

stefanel

Charleroi's runway extension approved

Post by stefanel »

http://www.lalibre.be/actu/belgique/art ... piste.html

This article in French says the new 3200 m runway will allow 737-800 and -900 to serve destinations such as Teneriffe, Greece, Turkey... The article implies the current Ryanair 737-800 are not taking off full charge. Can anyone explain why they couldn't right now, with a 2550m runway?
I mean, there are many airports with 2000m runway welcoming B-757 etc.
I don't understand.

Atlantis

Re: CHARLEROI's runway extension approved

Post by Atlantis »

And Jetairfly is going to start this winter to Teneriffe -> half empty?

fc82091

Post by fc82091 »

isn't jetairfly going to park the OOJAN in CRL ? the 737-700

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

This sounds a bit strange to me too.

A 737 full is not like a 747 cargo full ...

And ryanair planes should be quite light as there is a tight limitation on luggage weight.

I'm not sure I understand either.
It's maybe just like in Liège, to increase security.
Not totally necessary, but a lot safer (ie :not like in 02/20 :p)

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

bad information from a non specilaized journalist ?

Mercator

Post by Mercator »

Nowadays some flights, when the wind is not strong enough to use runway 25, ask for runway 07 for their departures (less obstacles in this direction). So it's not very efficient for runway capacity (and also safety) to have departures from runway 07 and arrivals on runway 25 !
Moreover, a runway extension will allow a separation between arriving and departing traffic on the taxiways. Now they have conflicting paths (the N5-M5 intersection for those who know the airport).

Desert Rat

Re: Charleroi's runway extension approved

Post by Desert Rat »

Good news for CRL...

Hope they will sign new operator though...

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

Mercator wrote:Nowadays some flights, when the wind is not strong enough to use runway 25, ask for runway 07 for their departures (less obstacles in this direction). So it's not very efficient for runway capacity (and also safety) to have departures from runway 07 and arrivals on runway 25 !
Moreover, a runway extension will allow a separation between arriving and departing traffic on the taxiways. Now they have conflicting paths (the N5-M5 intersection for those who know the airport).
never heard of that. Never saw a plane there taking off 07 when 25 is in use. You might be right but it seems odd to me.

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

stefanel wrote:
Mercator wrote:Nowadays some flights, when the wind is not strong enough to use runway 25, ask for runway 07 for their departures (less obstacles in this direction). So it's not very efficient for runway capacity (and also safety) to have departures from runway 07 and arrivals on runway 25 !
never heard of that. Never saw a plane there taking off 07 when 25 is in use. You might be right but it seems odd to me.
He's indeed totally right. It happens, and there is nothing odd to it!
It's a question of obstacle as he already described.

Regular example is Jet4you with their -400's.
They are more limited than the -800's.

cede21

Post by cede21 »

The weight is not a problem for Ryanair even to go to Tenerife. Even on wet rwy the limit weight is 71,2T with a temperature of 30C. More than enough with a full load and all the fuel needed to get there.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

For info runway length at Manchester is just over 3,000M so with CRL potentially having one just over that B738's wouldn't exactly cause issues! I'm confused! :o

Cheers,
Ems