Brussels Airlines to ground its entire fleet over New Year!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tolipanebas

Brussels Airlines to ground its entire fleet over New Year!

Post by tolipanebas »

Year's end is known to be a very quiet period for many airlines around Europe and traditionally they've always cut back on their normal flight schedules, but it seems sky high fuel prices are driving Brussels Airlines to drastic measures this year, measures which so far were unseen in the aviation industry: for the first time ever, SN will stop operating all of their flights during Year's End!

Starting Dec 31st in the afternoon, no flight will leave BRU and the day after, on New Year's Day, not a single SN flight will operate! Flight ops will slowly restart on Jan 2nd around noon with some feeders for the long haul flights.

The reason given for this radical decision is the fact the period is expected to be severely loss making this year (flying almost empty costs a fortune these days) and the airline is said to be able so save hundreds of thousands of euro's by simply cutting the flights completely.

Will be stunning to see the entire fleet on the ground in BRU for almost 2 days, don't you think?
A310-300, A319-100, A320-200, A321-100/-200, A330-200/-300, A340-300, A380, BAe146, B707-300, B727-200, B737-200/-3/-4/-5/-6/-7/-8, B747-300/-400, B757-200, B767-200/-300/-400, DC-10-30, MD-83, IL62M, F50, E120, S2000, RJ85/100, Q400, ATR42, Viscount

cathay belgium

Re: Brussels Airlines to ground its entire fleet over New Year!

Post by cathay belgium »

If it's for economic reasons, i think it's the right thing to do nowadays...
... but the entire fleet on the tarmac of Brussels Airlines gives me a flashback with a tear...
don't you ... remember... when it happened before...

Still regrets... Nostalgia...
New types flown 2022.. A339

BrightCedars

Re: Brussels Airlines to ground its entire fleet over New Year!

Post by BrightCedars »

Will that affect the long-haul fleet as well? It could be difficult to (re)organize things there, although if they planned this early enough in advance it should be ok.

Are they going to give a special New Year clean to the fleet, make a thorough check of all that's missing and needs fixing, have a grounded fleet for over 24 hours raises some very interesting opportunities in terms of checks and fixes.

I seem to recollect that the British airlines are also prone to a dramatic reduction of flights starting Xmas days and extending to New Year's day.

Also, generally, unless you book way in advance (like I do when needed) for the good dates, these days are cheap fares (there is very little to no business travel and families usually like to gather for the occasion rather than after it) and so even if the plane fills up it may not be turning a profit.