Aviapartner strike @ Brussels Airport (and Flightcare too)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

zteven

Aviapartner strike @ Brussels Airport (and Flightcare too)

Post by zteven »

At this moment the (un-)loaders are in a strike against the high workpressure. The strike started at +- 7PM and should last for 24 hours. Due to the lack of staff they were working in teams of 3 in stead of 5.

Some flights are cancelled, others will be delayed untill an agreement is reached.

VRT placed a small message on their site: http://deredactie.be/cm/de.redactie/bin ... er_staking

Greetz

Steven

an-148

Re: Aviapartner strike

Post by an-148 »

that's the reason why two easy (ex-Milano & Geneva) landed in LGG this evening:
http://www.liegeairport.com/timetable/timetable.php

an-148

Post by an-148 »

an-148 wrote:that's the reason why two easy (ex-Milano & Geneva) landed in LGG this evening:
http://www.liegeairport.com/timetable/timetable.php
the same happened with two pegasus (ex-Izmir & Dalaman)

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

And 2 FlyBe's frames diverted to EBCI
Tot hier en verder

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

And 2 BMI's to EBOS

an-148

Post by an-148 »

seems to be a good day for coach companies !!!!!!!!!!

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

an-148 wrote:seems to be a good day for coach companies !!!!!!!!!!
... But a terrible day for tourists. Many of them have worked a whole year for their annual holiday, but they are now taken hostage in a social dispute they have not caused.

Why don't the strikers take the car keys from ownership / top management in hostage?

Why haven't they clearly announced when they would go on strike?

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

Thomas Cook is diverting to LGG as well. Very unfortunate for the passengers. There's nothing more annoying to be bussed from LGG to BRU in the middle of the night after a flight of 5 hours. Was there any warning from the unions prior to the strike?

an-148

Post by an-148 »

as we can see, the most disturbed persons are again the tourists (except for the 2 Easyjet flights which are scheduled flights) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

an-148

Post by an-148 »

it seems also that some plane will remain at their diversion airport: FQ flight of tomorrow morning (06:00) will leave in LGG instead of BRU !!! (again coach !!)

fc82091

Post by fc82091 »

making sure your own company loses money to give your demands some extra force is not smart anyway since they will find a way to get that money back at the expense of the employees.

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

fc82091 wrote:making sure your own company loses money to give your demands some extra force is not smart anyway since they will find a way to get that money back at the expense of the employees.
Under Belgian law, employees are only protected in case of a strike, so unfortunately, there are very few other means of action available. Although some might wonder why there is a wild strike instead of an announced one.

And if you want something done, you have to hit them where it really hurts... That's economic reality, too bad that the passengers are co-victims of all this. But again, anyone who knows a better way of putting 'real' pressure on management may speak out now...
I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

I came back from Bucharest yesterday (business) and was one of the 'victims'. I had to wait for almost one hour (I think I arrived more or less when they started the strike). However I can understand the problems they have with the work pressure (management should add people instead of decreasing staff). So, in fact they are striking for better service for us too. I am afraid that striking is the only thing management is listening too. Hope they add staff where necessary soon ...

Regards,
Danny

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

A strike without warning at such a delicate time of year is not a reasonable step. Especially I seem to remember there was some problem in the beginning of the Summer and there was an agreement back then. Some publicity that the agreement is not being applied or a strike warning would have been a required warning shot.

Anyone knows who handles Cyprus Airways? We have business with them tomorrow...

744rules

Post by 744rules »

@Danny,

I'm afraid this is the usual delay. TAROM is handled by Flightcare
motorcycling : sensation with a twist of the wrist

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

BrightCedars wrote: Anyone knows who handles Cyprus Airways? We have business with them tomorrow...
I think they are handled by Aviapartner, cause last Friday the bags of their flight arrived at the same belt as the bags of my Thomas Cook flight and iirc the baggage belts are dedicated to only either flightcare or aviapartner (I could be wrong though)

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Yesterday evening, Flightcare employees were on strike as well, but only for about 20 minutes. Now it seems they are back on strike.
Tot hier en verder

Mirror

Post by Mirror »

Was at the airport , passengers of United had to step behind a biac car to the terminal from one of the 3xx stands, what a sight ! :shock: .Pilots from Finnair were unloading the luggages from their E90.
Mirror

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

brusselsairport wrote:Pilots from Finnair were unloading the luggages from their E90.
I'm sure they're not required to do so and weren't even asked, thumbs up for these braves!

Let's hope Ryanair doesn't take cue! :D

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

LX-LGX wrote:A terrible day for tourists. Many of them have worked a whole year for their annual holiday, but they are now taken hostage in a social dispute they have not caused. Why don't the strikers take the car keys from top management in hostage?
Legally, that could be considered theft and would mean everybody participating in it is eligable to be fired on the spot and without any compensation! If it is shown to be organized and done in group, you can even be dragged to court over it, being accused of belonging to a criminal organisation. The aim of these people is to have slightly better working conditions, meaning they no longer want to load/unload 10 (or more) full 737s per shift with only 3 loaders, not to spend half their life in jail!

When it comes to showing discontent at work, a strike really is the only legal tool exploited workers have in Belgium as nobody can force any person to work against his will.
LX-LGX wrote:Why haven't they clearly announced when they would go on strike?
Because management has made it a habit trying to pre-emptively break up a strike by a court order, claiming urgency and huge industrial damage if a strike goes through. When the right to go on strike is constantly challenged in court, it is better not to give them the chance to do so any longer.
As such, I wouldn't expect any more warnings to be given in future... you only have the managerial mentality of today to blaim for that.
fc82091 wrote:if you want something done, you have to hit them where it really hurts... That's economic reality, too bad that the passengers are co-victims of all this. But again, anyone who knows a better way of putting 'real' pressure on management may speak out now...
Unfortunately you're so right: that's how it works in aviation today.

Managers don't want to spend money, they want to make savings, so the only time they will give in to your demands, is if it costs them more NOT to give in to you!

So all you need to do is step into their very rigid logic of constant cost savings, hence you first have to make them loose money, so they can then save money by giving in to your demands.
Last edited by tolipanebas on 11 Aug 2008, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.