Jet Airways will double its number of pax via Brussels

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Laurens

Re: Jet Airways Booking?

Post by Laurens »

LX-LGX wrote:
Laurens wrote:I'm trying to find the cheapest flight BRU-EWR. Jet Airways has a class called "Special economy", wich is really cheap comparing with their "normal economy". What does "special economy" mean? And in some cases the premiere class is cheaper than "normal economy".Thanks
I don't know the exact rate structure from JetAirways, but the general rules for tickets are:

There are three different seats in most long haul planes: First Class, Business Class and Economy Class.

Full Economy, Y-class (shortly Y) is the most expensive Economy-class. These tickets are fully refundable if not used, changes are permitted for free, and you're also allowed to fly one or both flights with another carrier. Mostly used for business trips with probability that the return flight will have to be changed a few times. If an exit seat is still available, the airline will give it to you.

Special Economy could well be the same seat in the plane as Full-Y, but with rules from the carrier: f.e. valid on their flights only, no changes allowed (or allowed at a cost, f.e. 125 euro), tickets must be paid within a time limit after the booking, and no refund afterwards. The rate depends on the load factor from each particular flight: few pax = cheap tickets, and the more people book for that flight, the more expensive next tickets will be. Each carrier has a "yield management" for these operations. If a flight is almost full, they will block the Special Economy, and try to sell the remaining seats at the expensive Full-Y. Till they think they won't sell all of them, and open Special Economy again...

Same applies for the better seats (f.e. lie flat beds) in the plane, the Business Class: there is an expensive C-Class, which allows you to change your ticket whenever you want, and allows you to fly C-class on another carrier. And there is the Special Business Class, which is much cheaper, but the ticket will show "valid on ... / this carrier / only". You are allowed to change your dates, you have access to the Business Class lounges, but if you've missed your flight, you have to wait for the next flight from that carrier only.

Once again: these are general remarks, thus not valid for all carriers.

Travel agencies have access to a worldwide reservation system that shows all flights from all carriers, and they can check the load factors. Make a print from the lowest offer you can get at home, and then ask them if they can beat it. Don't forget the extra's like airport taxes, fuel surcharges, ...
Thanks for the information, Jet aiways has by far the cheapest flight I could find.

greetz

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Hi Stij ! Yes, that's a very good suggestion to have a second wave of 9W flights in the afternoon, but I think it would be better for the airline to have the flights returning immediatley to Europe and India instead of staying the night in America.
Flights back could be (approximately) :
East Coast 23.55 - BRU 14.00
BRU 16.00 - India 04.00 (approximately, I stress).
Let's hope 9W have a similar idea.
In favor of quality air travel.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It has to be in two waves, otherwise there will be a problem at Brussels Airport with all those widebodies. They can't handle them all in the morning.

Or they are going to use the remote stands at the former south-pier, which I doubt.

Normally, Brussels Airport is going to decide in the next two months if they are going to build a LCC terminal. We will see what they are going to decide about a terminal for Jet Airways.

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

It has to be in two waves, otherwise there will be a problem at Brussels Airport with all those widebodies. They can't handle them all in the morning.

Or they are going to use the remote stands at the former south-pier, which I doubt.
Expect that whatever happens, some flights will be handled on remote stands, untill forecasted traffic warrants a new pier (be it for Jet Airways only, or for all international traffic). They did it in the Sabena years too, while they were building the new piers (A & B).

But I doubt that it would be many Jet Airways aircraft standing at the remote stands. Expect more other companies to stand there. They want to keep Jet happy 8)

Just my 2 cents though.

Greets,

Pieter

gumblebee

Post by gumblebee »

Flybe wrote: Expect that whatever happens, some flights will be handled on remote stands, untill forecasted traffic warrants a new pier (be it for Jet Airways only, or for all international traffic). They did it in the Sabena years too, while they were building the new piers (A & B).
Wouldn't it be simpler to change some of the jetways instead of building a new pier? I gather from this discussion B pier might have too many narrowbody stands soon, and a lack of widebody ones.

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Wouldn't it be simpler to change some of the jetways instead of building a new pier? I gather from this discussion B pier might have too many narrowbody stands soon, and a lack of widebody ones.
In my opinion, that would rather be a short term solution, good to cope with the short term expansion of Jet Airways, and the "loss" of narrowbodies that go to the A pier or the rumored new low cost pier. And you won't be able to create that many more widebody gates at the B pier. It is not just moving the gate, but also the whole inner structure of the pier (moving walkways, stairs to the gates, seating, maybe the location of the bus gates, etc). P;lus you'll need to do this with minimum disruption for passangers. Moving a gate, means also taking at least 1 temporarily out of service.

In the morning the B pier is anyway already operating at almost maximum capacity (number of planes and number of passengers in the B pier). So at middle long term, BRU will anyway have to start thinking about building a new pier. From drafting the plans and getting the approvals to build, to actually opening a new pier, a lot of time passes. Meanwhile airlines don't sit still, but (hopefully) they grow and more airlines come to BRU.

And what concerns Jet Airways, 16 extra widebodies daily, even if spread during day, are not easy to handle at the B pier, even if some extra widebody gates are created. And that includes already 2 "if's". So at middle long term, a new pier will be necessary, and it's time now to start thinking about it.

So it might be possible that both options are realised: more widebodygates at the B pier in short term, while starting to make plans for a new pier. Everybody happy :-)

Greets,

Pieter