ILFC orders 20 A350XWB

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

FLY4HOURS.BE

ILFC orders 20 A350XWB

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

We all know ILFC is going to have to jump on the train for the A350 XWB.

It's just a matter of time but the question is when?

They can't wait too long anymore, as delivery slots start to fill.
Last edited by FLY4HOURS.BE on 19 Oct 2007, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

RC20

Post by RC20 »

They have to be convinced it has wide market viability.

So far that’s not true form their standpoint. They run purely on a technical assessment as to viability and how well it can be leased out.

That rules out the big discount deals being a factor for them.

Hazy said he was ok with composite stringers, but the last I saw, the front was still an aluminum structure. Problems with that maintenance wise translates into problems for the availability of the aircraft. Not as costly to fix or keep up, but it still take it out of service more often.

I suspect we will be hearing more on that, but it may still require that final design change to an all composite fuselage to get them to purchase.

achace

Post by achace »

They still have 15 of the original A3550 on order. The XWB only requires re-confirmation, but there may be an increase in number.

Cheers
Achace

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

It seems ILFC finally took the next step.

The order is for 20 XWB's, a rather disappointing small number.

This is the link to the story:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

Air Asia X wants 25 A350 XWB (old story) :

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyN ... 1620070918

achace

Post by achace »

It would appear that Airbus have now got it right.

Which model could be an interesting point. IMO the XWB1000

RC20

Post by RC20 »

I think its in line with what’s been discussed.

I know Airbus is serious about the A350, but its still on paper, not even firm design. I think they should have solidly targeted the whole 777 range, or the 787 range, not split across them. Lots of changes going on still. BA is waiting just for that reason.

Also huge impacts from the A380 recovery, ramp up and the A400 issues.

It will be at least 3 years before firm evidence of where its at schedule wise.

Boeing has the lower end responses ready (not announced, but they have a good idea of where they stand).

Rough times for Airbus, maybe even long term fatal. It takes so much money to bring a new airplane to market, and you make one mistake, and you are in trouble. They are haunted by 3 big ones now.

I would guess that you have to keep a 40% market share to stay viable (and that assumes the product is making or will make money).

Another interesting development is the large market that is developing for filler aircraft, because the lead times are getting so insanely long. Did anyone ever think you would see orders coming 8 years from now being a huge issue. You used to be able to get at least some anytime you wanted. Amazing.

achace

Post by achace »

I like a lot of what RC20 offers our forum, but he really has a mindset when it comes to the XWB.

For heavens sake, it has well over 200 firm orders now, just twelve months after re-birth.

How many orders did the 787 have just twelve months after its official launch?

Airbus has its problems for sure, but IT WILL SURVIVE and prosper!!!!

Cheers
Achace

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

Confirming what achace just said,

Well it is true that Airbus is haunted by problems but they always have delivered first quality products, and that this somehow a warranty to the airlines.

Anyways, I think many haven't seen it yet...because the XWB has evolved in the shadow of the B787.
The A350 is about to become an all-times best-seller.
With Eis expected 5 years later than the dreamliner, it has already orders for 220+ aircraft. If we add ILFC and Emirates, the order will reach 300 by the beginning of 2008. If orders keep coming in at the same pace, at EIS, it will have more orders than the B787 will at its EIS in 2008-2009.

And honestly, I see BA and later JAL & NW, SAA ordering 60 A350's each to replace their B747's, rather than any Dreamliner variant.

There is a natural law in aviation that says that on long-haul routes, the number of seats beats the efficiency, which is why the A350 is going to be a hit. Although the B787 has great range and efficiencies, the airline operating it will not make profits on long-haul routes in excess of 6000nm unless they configure it in an-all business.

On the other hand, filling a whole B747 on different routes daily is a hell of a job, and every flight that isn't almost full means losses to the airline.

That's why the A350 is on the right place. Its not too small, and it's not too big and it has about the same efficiencies as the B787 although carrying 100 more pax.

The B787 will find its market on the mid-haul routes, and replace the B767, I think.

David747

Post by David747 »

RC20 wrote:I think its in line with what’s been discussed.

I know Airbus is serious about the A350, but its still on paper, not even firm design. I think they should have solidly targeted the whole 777 range, or the 787 range, not split across them. Lots of changes going on still. BA is waiting just for that reason.
The 787 was also on paper when it sold, Now that the A350 is going forward it is getting interest from people who operate the B777 and want to complement a future 787 fleet. The changes will come and the changes will meet the requirement of customers, and the ILCF order seems to me that Airbus is doing something right.
Also huge impacts from the A380 recovery, ramp up and the A400 issues.
Can you be more specific?
It will be at least 3 years before firm evidence of where its at schedule wise.

Airbus might not last three years in development of the plane, but we'll see.
Boeing has the lower end responses ready (not announced, but they have a good idea of where they stand).
You mean the Y3?
Rough times for Airbus, maybe even long term fatal. It takes so much money to bring a new airplane to market, and you make one mistake, and you are in trouble. They are haunted by 3 big ones now.
Well, it seems the so called Hard Times is only a fantasy, and now that Airbus is moving forward with the A350, it has delivered the A380, and gotten an order from British Airways for the A380, the likelihood of them getting more orders for the A380 by new customers has increased. I think it will be safe to say that Airbus is clearing out of its problems.

achace

Post by achace »

I guess ILFC are being impartial.

For the record, their first 787 order was also for 20 units. The big order came later, probably to ensure a supply line in view of all the 787 sales.

Cheers
Achace

David747

Post by David747 »

A350 got a boost from Emirates though, now that they have said the plane is a viable competitor to the Dreamliner. So we can expect future orders from ILFC when the time is right.