New route for SN as from 19 november 2007: Ljubljana

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

BRUCONVENTION

New route for SN as from 19 november 2007: Ljubljana

Post by BRUCONVENTION »

It looks like SN will start a new route shortly : BRU LJU (Ljubljana) 6 times per week from Monday 19NOV07. Can anyone confirm this info ? Is SN likely to open other new routes this winter ? :?:

brussels airlines

Post by brussels airlines »

According to luchtvaartnieuws.nl they will indeed start flights to Ljubljana.

C_J

Post by C_J »

Adria's prices on Brussels-Ljubljana are rather high I found. This offers opportunities.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Wizz air do it from Charleroi.

I dont understand why they always need to copy a route that already exists ...
To me it looks clever to start something new ...

anyway, for us pax, competition means cheaper prices, so it's a good news ;)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Following flight schedule will apply:
SN3345 BRU 16:00 LJU 17:50 days 12345.7
SN3346 LJU 18:30 BRU 20:30

ERICAIRLINES

Post by ERICAIRLINES »

by far too much offer for this city....eventhough now an EEC country

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Slovenia will have the Presidency of the EU during the first six months of 2008. There will consequently be more pax traffic between LJU and BRU already at the end of this year and of course during the first half of next year. After the summer of 2008, expect pax traffic to slow down (and then b.air might drop the route). They are probably introducing this new route because they have realised there will be more demand during a limited period of time.
In favor of quality air travel.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Its a good move of Brussels Airlines to start flights to LJU. Competition is not bad al all. Bru Ail flights to the former East-European countries are doing very well. I supose that LJU will do the same.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

You will notice SN ALWAYS increases frequencies between the capital of the EU president and BRU in the months leading up the the country taking over the presidency.

They've done it to CPH
They've done it to THF
And they are doing it to LJL

As somebody noticed before, the fact half of all EU meetings need to be conducted in Brussels (according to the NICE treaty) means a lot of civil servants of the country which holds the presidency need to commute on an almost weekly basis to and from BRU in preparation of this: you can bet this is high yielding trafic.

I suppose the flights will be operated on RJ as they were in the days of Sabena?

Anyway, good to see them expand to the east, they should realy do so, as that side of the European network is really underserved: Beiruth (red-eye) or Athens (increased freq) should be considered for A319. Oh, and Poland should see some more destinations than just WAW and KRK (how about Gdansk, which is now served by EZY twice daily)?

But for now, let's just rejoyce over LJL. :wink:

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

I recently travelled with Wizz on a trip to Ljubljana. Both flights were full.

I have been on 20 weekend city trips in the last 2 years, and Ljubljana / Slovenia was most certainly one of my favourites. Castles, mountains, lakes, national park, old towns, weeping willows, super romantic atmosphere, cityscape, landscape, friendly, cheap, euro currency, mouth watering cuisine. And in 4 days I didn't even get to the coast, or do the boat trip on the river, etc. etc.

However, I still think having Adria, Wizz and Brussels Airlines on the route is a bit much.

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

tolipanebas wrote: I suppose the flights will be operated on RJ as they were in the days of Sabena?

Oh, and Poland should see some more destinations than just WAW and KRK (how about Gdansk, which is now served by EZY twice daily)?
easyJet fly from Brussels to Gdansk ???

Jacob330

Post by Jacob330 »

Great news!!! Indeed great to see them expand to the east, but why not a little bit faster? Cities like Riga, Tallinn might work i think. Or maybe a little risk and serving Odessa, Kishinev once a week? :wink:

Anyway, good work SN!

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

spotter1102 wrote: easyJet fly from Brussels to Gdansk ???
No of course not, but they do from the UK.

Besides, WizzAir will soon start a 3 times weekly flight to the Polish town of Katowice (which is quite close to Cracow).

Poland is one of the bigger EU membersstates (comparible is size to Spain, France or Italy), yet SN only serves 2 places there.

It may have been appropriately served in the past and even up till today, but given the fact more and more Polish towns see commercial international services added (mind you: some even INTERCONTINENTAL!), it would be a good idea for SN to secure part of that market and to add at least one more Polish destination (possibly 2 even).

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Charlie Roy wrote:I recently travelled with Wizz on a trip to Ljubljana. Both flights were full.

I have been on 20 weekend city trips in the last 2 years, and Ljubljana / Slovenia was most certainly one of my favourites. Castles, mountains, lakes, national park, old towns, weeping willows, super romantic atmosphere, cityscape, landscape, friendly, cheap, euro currency, mouth watering cuisine. And in 4 days I didn't even get to the coast, or do the boat trip on the river, etc. etc.

However, I still think having Adria, Wizz and Brussels Airlines on the route is a bit much.
sounds great...have been to Slovenia, back in the 90's to do some Skying...very nice country.... :wink:

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Ya, that's more of it, a skiing in holiday in Slovenia would cost you a lot less than one in France or Austria for example. Especially the apres-ski 8)

summersso

Post by summersso »

I've just got back from an excellent trip to Slovenia (on business) but went a couple of days early to make a holiday of it! Although small, Ljubljana is delightful and highly recommended.

I think that a 3x daily service on Adria (with whom I flew) is adequate and am not sure what Brussels Airlines expect to offer by flying just once a day - certainly not convenience to business passengers. I'm surprised they didn't try and reach a code-sharing agreement with JP and perhaps share the flights.

I agree with toplipanebas that the upcoming Slovenian presidency must a key factor in SN's decision to start flights to LJU. We should discount Wizzair in this regard though as diplomats and officials won't be flying on the 3x weekly service offered from Charleroi. (Yesterday evening I bumped into Vivianne Reding on the evening flight back to BRU).

Regarding expansion into Central and Eastern Europe, I would suggest the following;
* 3/4x weekly to Poznan - important business centre with large population in the region
* Daily to Riga - metropolis of the Baltics
* 3/4x weekly to Bratislava - a European capital city without a connection to Brussels - remarkable. Offers business and touristic opportunities.

I'd be hesitant about starting flights to regional cities in Ukraine or Moldova - I doubt there's sufficient demand at the moment.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Charlie Roy wrote:Ya, that's more of it, a skiing in holiday in Slovenia would cost you a lot less than one in France or Austria for example. Especially the apres-ski 8)
Pivo +White hot wine+ Rhum-cola....knocks your teeth out your mouth.... :lol:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

summersso wrote:Regarding expansion into Central and Eastern Europe, I would suggest the following;
* 3/4x weekly to Poznan - important business centre with large population in the region
In the late 1990s or early 2000s, LOT had a daily ERJ145 flight to both Poznan and Gdansk, in codeshare with Sabena. I guess these routes were dropped (before 9/11!) by lack of profitability.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Vexje

Post by Vexje »

good timing I heard from someone (very on the inside) at the Apt of CRL that wizz will stop Ljubljana

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Besides, WizzAir will soon start a 3 times weekly flight to the Polish town of Katowice (which is quite close to Cracow).
It has already started, my sister in law was on the second flight (04/10). They also offer busservice to Cracow. BTW, the airport is still quite a drive to Katowice, it's really in a small village.
Regarding expansion into Central and Eastern Europe, I would suggest the following;
* Daily to Riga - metropolis of the Baltics
* 3/4x weekly to Bratislava - a European capital city without a connection to Brussels - remarkable. Offers business and touristic opportunities.
Don't forget Wroclaw, quite a nice population from that city and region in Brussels. LOT will offer 6 weekly flights to Wroclaw from 12/11 on.

But 6 weekly with an embraer 170 might be a little bit too much. 3 or 4 weekly with an Eurolot ATR (can those things fly that far?) would in the beginning be enough capacity I think. None the less a good move from LOT, who makes it now almost impossible for B.Air to start services to that city.

Greets,

Pieter