The Budgies World Low Cost Airline Awards

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

The Budgies World Low Cost Airline Awards

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Last night the inagural awards ceremony for the Low Cost Airline industry took place. Over 400 people gathered in London for the Budgie Low Cost Airline Awards organised by Terrapinn.

The Budgie Awards were been created to recognise the leaders, innovators, creative talents, and pioneers in the global Low Cost Airlines industry. Its mission is to identify and reward those individuals, teams and airlines who have demonstrated an unparalleled ability to succeed.

Best Newcomer
Winner: Clickair

Best Service Provider
Winner: SR Technics

Best Technology Provider
Winner: Radixx International

Best Airport
Winner: Singapore Changi Airport

Best Website -
Winner: Iceland Express

Best Business Class Carrier
Winner: OasisHongKong

Best Passenger Experience -
Winner: JetBlue

Best New Service -
Winner: OasisKongKong

Lifetime Achievement Award for Services to the Low Cost Airline Industry
Winner: Michael O'Leary, CEO, Ryanair

Special Merit for Commitment to the Environment
Winner: Virgin Blue

Best Low Cost Airline -
Winner: Ryanair

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

Ryanair is the best in LCC!!!!
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

A life time achievement to MOL for having cheated all his Ryanair life on passengers and for being arrogant. Bravo Budgie ! There goes your credibility.
In favor of quality air travel.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I hate to burst your bubble air key west but EVERY airline in the world cheats his passengers. The only thing they want to do is get as much money out of your pocket as possible. And that doesn't go just for LCC but als for the normal carriers. No airline flies pax just to break even.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

you're right, sean, no company is being run just to break even, but you don't have to systematically fool your passengers to make a profit. And not all airlines are cheating. On that point I really cannot agree with you.
LH flies from Frankfurt-Frankfurt and not from Frankfurt-Hahn (which is about 100 km from Frankfurt). Clickair, the best newcomer according to Budgie, flies from and to main airports. And it's not because Ryanair gets the Best LCC Award that I'm going to fly them. The two main reasons why I would not fly them is that they operate from airports located too far away from where I live or too far away from where I have to go to (just not practical) and I cannot stand MOL's arrogance.

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

How can anyone choose Ryanair as best budget carrier? Easyjet e.g. flies at mayor airports and doesn't treat passengers like kick-the-money-out-'em cattle all the time. And who doesn't remember the TV documentary where everybody could see Ryanair's rather 'loose' interpretation of safety procedures?

'Budgie Awards'? 'Ridiculous marketing campaign' would be a better expression...
I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

Hehe, when I saw Ryanair in that list, I was already sure about the replies you guys made in here :!:

You guys are simply funny... Nobody forces you to fly Ryanair, but apparently other people are happy with it.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

There seem to be so many awards in the aviation industry.. Singapore Changi Airport does not strike me as a LCC Airport - maybe the new T3 with the gate for the A380...Just kidding.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

May I go a little wild here... Congratulations to Ryanair and Mr O'Leary! Also worth a mention to JetBlue for beating Southwest on passenger experience!

Ems

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Another Award: why not... But for this one, one could only choose between a preselection that the organisation itself has done before.

Example 1: the airports that were preselected:
1. Berlin Airports
2. Singapore Changi Airport
3. Frankfurt Hahn
4. East Midlands Airport
5. Liverpool John Lennon Airport
6. Akron-Canton Airport
7. Copenhagen Airport
8. KL International Airport

Example 2: I'm giving the Luchtzak 2007 People Knowledge Award to those who know (without help from Google!) all 6 candidates (or their airline) on the shortlist for the Lifetime Achivement Award:
1. Tony Fernandes
2. Constantino Oliveira
3. Michael O'Leary
4. Gary Kelly
5. Stelios Haji-Ioannou
6. William Franke

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Air Key West wrote:A life time achievement to MOL for having cheated all his Ryanair life on passengers and for being arrogant. Bravo Budgie ! There goes your credibility.
It's not Budgies credibility that went out the window, it's yours.

Arrogant as he may be, MOL is supurb in what he does! He has single handedly transformed the European aviation industry, and rightfully deserves an award for that.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Cartman wrote:How can anyone choose Ryanair as best budget carrier?
Because they are actually a Low Cost Carrier?

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Buzz wrote:
Air Key West wrote:A life time achievement to MOL for having cheated all his Ryanair life on passengers and for being arrogant. Bravo Budgie ! There goes your credibility.
It's not Budgies credibility that went out the window, it's yours.

Arrogant as he may be, MOL is supurb in what he does! He has single handedly transformed the European aviation industry, and rightfully deserves an award for that.
You are right Buzz, being arrogant is allowed. But cheating and misleading clients however isn't.

(it wasn't O'Leary who has transformed European aviation: it was the deregulation of European air travel that made it possible for LCC's to enter the market).

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Buzz wrote:
Cartman wrote:How can anyone choose Ryanair as best budget carrier?
Because they are actually a Low Cost Carrier?
True, but don't tell me that there are no better LCC's than RYR. It's actually an insult to Easyjet, JetBlue and many others that Ryanair won.

The achievement for MOL is more appropriate. Love him or hate him, the man has indeed started a new era in aviation, and that does deserve some reward.
I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

In terms of starting a new era in aviation, where would you put Sir Freddie Laker ? and Don Burr (People Express with its BRU-SFO flight ?)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

I enjoy flying on Ryanair, I have never been treated as cattle, and I have never felt being cheated - quite on the contrary, getting a return trip to Bergamo for 32 euros, and sometimes for 20 euros (ALL included) I feel I am using them !
I have some 130 flights on Ryanair - I say it again, I enjoy it, and I hope to go on for a long time.
This year, to refresh my experience, I have again taken Alitalia, Brussels Airlines and the like - quite enough to appreciate Ryanair and the other LCC.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

You might indeed say you are cheating on Ryanair if you fly for 20 euros all included (did you check in any luggage ?). Or in other words, you are most likely not cheating on Ryanair's boss and shareholders, but on Ryanair's workforce who work under difficult conditions for a low pay. Maybe if you paid a more decent fare of arounf 100 euros for your flight to Bergamo, employees would get better working conditions and a better pay. No, actually not. Knowing MOL, the extra money would go to the shareholders only.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Air Key West wrote: if you paid a more decent fare of arounf 100 euros for your flight to Bergamo
But that is just the point : if it were to cost me 100 euros, I would stay at home, like most of the other LCC customers - and the Ryanair employees would be still worst off, or without a job...

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

airazurxtror wrote:
Air Key West wrote: if you paid a more decent fare of arounf 100 euros for your flight to Bergamo
But that is just the point : if it were to cost me 100 euros, I would stay at home, like most of the other LCC customers - and the Ryanair employees would be still worst off, or without a job...
That comment is right on the money, if you ask me.

Most people on this forum don't seem to understand the low cost market. I would not have seen half of Europe if it wasn't for LCC's. I just wouldn't have flown.
Most of you also don't get that FR puts those 'doubtfull' advertisements in the media, just so they get complaints from organistations etc., wich to them only means more free advertising. Pay for a small ad & get a free article in all the big newspapers! They understand the fact that there is no better advertisment than being in the news all the time, good or bad.

The bottom line is no one really cares if you offer fares that low. And if you all would just stop expecting SQ first class service on FR, you might be surprised!

lcc

Post by lcc »

Cartman wrote:It's actually an insult to Easyjet, JetBlue and many others that Ryanair won.
Personally, I rather think that this is an insult for Ryanair that you consider easyJet as a low cost airline...