Emirates the next 747-I Customer

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

bits44

Emirates the next 747-I Customer

Post by bits44 »

A deal for 20 747-I Boeings may be announced at Dubai.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... ental.html
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

CX

Post by CX »

It's amazing how Emirates can keep on ordering planes, and it's not 737s/A320s, it's A380s and 748s, in huge numbers, and an upcoming 100 A350/787s, unbelievable... Wont' be surprising if they do order 748, they will always find somewhere to use it on even if it can't go direct Dubai-LA.

The BA and CX decision are what I am more interested in. Just hope they'll get A380s but CX dont' appear to 'need' >500 seat planes and they don't seem to have any planes at the moment that is configured for comfort, they pretty much go the highest capacity they can go in 3-class, unlike SIA putting 4xx seats in the A380. What is the most dense route for CX now?

A390

Post by A390 »

What if the aviation boom in the Gulf would one day implode? Some elements are similar to what happened to the dot-com industry in the 90's.
Both airframers would suffer enormous cancellations .

David747

Post by David747 »

That is awesome news. I think a lot of big orders will be announced at Dubai in November.

bits44

Post by bits44 »

If the rumours floating around the industry come to fruition then Dubai is going to make Paris seem tame in comparison. Some astounding numbers are out there! It will be very interesting.
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

Reuters reports that the intial buy is for 8 747-8i's. The total may be as high as 20 units and the announcement can be expected at the Dubai show. See: http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/art ... DER-DC.XML

As pointed out by A390, there is a danger that the Gulf area purchases could implode and leave the 2 airframe manufacturers high and dry. I don't know how they would handle cancellations of large numbers of very large planes that cater to a niche market (the market for such aricraft is limited). The aircraft industry is not like commodity markets; you can not hedge the market and short sell (except a a steep loss).

Gliderpilot

Post by Gliderpilot »

Reuters.com is referring to FI, so I don't think they have any new information, just a misunderstanding about those 8 planes...

RC20

Post by RC20 »

Even if the purchase is not true, this is a perfect example of what having the 747-8 does for Boeing.

If true, it’s a nice sale.

If not true, it keeps serious downward pressure on the A380. Not because the 747-8 competes directly with it, but because it does cover that large seating gap in the Airbus line.

Lufthansa ordered it because they had significant need in that size range. Without it available, they would have had to order more A380s, and accept the penalty of not having the right size aircraft (which is ok as long as everyone does not, but when they do…..)

Boeing did it with the 747. If you needed something bigger, the 747 was the only choice for a long time (and or longer range).

If Airbus has to keep discounting the A380 to sell it, then they continue to bleed money on the program, and they have less resources for competitive programs (and research into the composite and electrical systems).

The tough part for Airbus is in order to have the A380 compete (keeping in mind its best economics would be the stretch) the discount has to be very good to make up for the fuel burns increase (it being comparative, the A380 full is more economical than the 747-8 full by at least a little bit). An A380 2/3 full is not (and by full I mean a real seating setup vs the max the A380 can carry, the 747-8 is now listed with real seating capacity.

Note: I also acknowledge Boeing tried to play the same game, at one point listing max single class eating in the –8 vs normal seating for the A380, it was quickly shot down. Keeping the real seating situation in analyzing them is the only correct way to calculate it.
By that mark, the A380 does seem to have a leg up, also keeping in mind that we have not seen real performance figures with them in operation yet.
Also important is if it reaches the expected load levels whatever they have figured them to be (80% say). If it flies with 60% levels, then the economics would revert to favoring the 747-8. That will probably take a few years to really play out.