All-Business service on ultra-long-haul flights, SIA

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ryanCX

All-Business service on ultra-long-haul flights, SIA

Post by ryanCX »

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... irbus.html

Singapore Airline is assessing converting the current ultra long haul A340-500 flights to New York and Los Angeles into all business class service, basically cutting out the Executive Economy class. The A340s will probably go with the arrival of 787 though.

Rumours are, both BA and Qantas want to be the first to fly LON-SYD direct. If there ever is such a service, it'd have to be all business too, maybe also with premium economy in this case. I do think there is market for such a service. Couldn't possibly sit out a 20hrs+ flight in economy, not to mention the costs involved in flying such distance direct.

CX

Re: All-Business service on ultra-long-haul flights, SIA

Post by CX »

ryanCX wrote:http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... irbus.html

Singapore Airline is assessing converting the current ultra long haul A340-500 flights to New York and Los Angeles into all business class service, basically cutting out the Executive Economy class. The A340s will probably go with the arrival of 787 though.

Rumours are, both BA and Qantas want to be the first to fly LON-SYD direct. If there ever is such a service, it'd have to be all business too, maybe also with premium economy in this case. I do think there is market for such a service. Couldn't possibly sit out a 20hrs+ flight in economy, not to mention the costs involved in flying such distance direct.
Does the 787 have that much range? A345 has 9000nm..

Stij

Post by Stij »

A 787-9 can do it:

Range 8500nm

SIN-LAX: 7621nm
SIN-JFK: 8288nm

Close, but it can do that!

Kind regards,

Stij

ryanCX

Post by ryanCX »

can be done in a all-business configuration i think. Maybe not possible with ordicary 3 class layout.