Macquarie wants 100% of Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

blackhawk

Macquarie wants 100% of Brussels Airport

Post by blackhawk »

Macquarie wil de 30 procent van de Belgische staat in Brussels Airport Company (BAC) kopen. Dat zei Kerrie Mather, algemeen directeur van Macquarie Airports (MAp). Het dossier kwam nog niet ter sprake op het formatieberaad, zegt een betrokkene. De ontslagnemende regering vindt dat het overheidsbelang niet onder 25 procent mag zakken.

Macquarie wants to buy the other 30% of the shares, now in hands of the government.

http://tijdnet.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemi ... Id=3111779

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

It will be great to optimize the capacity of the airport so but I think the government will never sell the 30 % left to keep the apron for VIP visitors at Abelag and to keep Melsbroek Air Base !!!

(If we consider Melsbroek Air Base part of the airport)

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

spotter1102 wrote:It will be great to optimize the capacity of the airport so but I think the government will never sell the 30 % left to keep the apron for VIP visitors at Abelag and to keep Melsbroek Air Base !!!

Contracts can clearly stipulate clauses such as for example the right of way! In this case the Belgian state can sell its remaining shares with a contract stating that Melsbroek airport and the VIP quarter shall remain property of the Belgian state with access granted as required!

Point is will the new government have any appetite for a privatisation of BRU airport?

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

spotter1102 wrote:It will be great to optimize the capacity of the airport so but I think the government will never sell the 30 % left to keep the apron for VIP visitors at Abelag and to keep Melsbroek Air Base !!!

I believe when the deal was made it was said that MAp would only buy the airport grounds, not the runways and the airbase. They would stay with the governement. Not sure about it though...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It was announced yesterday (29 August) that Macquarie Airports has just increased its shareholding of Brussels Airport from 53.9 to 57.1%.

I thought they had already 70%.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I will explain it to you, André:

Macquarie Airports, Map, owns indeed 70% of Brussels Airport.
But, Macquarie Airports is one item in the whole group of Macquarie.

Map owns 53,9%, the other percentage belongs to Macquarie funds and Macquarie Bank. All together its 70%.
To make it easy, they say Map owns 70% because this player invest in airports. In theorie its a group who owns Brussels Airport.

What they have done is just moving capital or investments from one to an other.

I hope this is an anwser to your question.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for this clear explanation, Atlantis.
André
ex Sabena #26567