Northwest Airlines is suspending Brussels-Detroit

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

744rules

Post by 744rules »

:offtopic:
but since a few months an special company is in charge of wchr,wchs and wchc. It's Intergom. They have their own sita, vhf-frequency and even telephone.
Failing to ask for some assistance in advance (by either pax, airline or groundstaff at origin) might result in waiting .
motorcycling : sensation with a twist of the wrist

teach

Post by teach »

I just tell this because we may forget that it could get very expensive to transport Americans.
Transporting Americans isn't any more expensive than transporting Europeans or Asians. In fact, if you look at the reputaions and service levels of US airlines, they are often inferior to the European majors, and not even in the same league as the Asians. As an example: Skytrax labels all the major US carriers as three-star carriers. Carriers like Lufthansa, BA and Air France, meanwhile, are four-star carriers. In general, Americans who travel a lot very often prefer European carriers because of their better service.

zteven

Post by zteven »

I don't think they'll be back soon.

I heard they fired the security personel
who are always present when they have
a flight in BRU.

They are also breaking their contract
with handling agent Aviapartner, wich
will cost them a great amount of money.

Anyway I still hope that they will be back
somewhere in the future cause I liked working
with them.

Greetz

Steven

korkilla

Post by korkilla »

When suspending a flight I think it's quite logic that an airline is braking all contracts of handling, security, catering etc.
Except for the station manager, NWA didn't have any personnel in service in Brussels.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I found this link: tijd.be about the flights of Northwest.

They have suspended the flights to Bru, as we all know, and also one daily in Germany. There is, according to Tijd, a chance that they will come back.

But like I have said, it's an article in Tijd.be. So, I'm only the messenger.

http://tijdnet.tijd.be/nieuws/ondernemi ... Id=3108523

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

On airliners.net they had similar discussions. I can't find it back but somewhere said that they should have sorted out pilot shortage by next year, and then they might add a second daily flight to FRA and re-start BRU (it seemed to me someone working at NW).

But, OK, so many things are said, so let's wait and see ...

Danny

Zenfookpower

Post by Zenfookpower »

Cartman wrote: But your general point is absolutely right, americans do think they have more rights than other people and therefore demand more service...
What a narrow minded inflammatory statement..

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Northwest Airlines press release:

EAGAN, Minn. – (August 8, 2007) – Northwest Airlines today announced a strong response to the carrier’s call to commence pilot hiring. More than 1,400 pilots have applied to join Northwest, including more than 1,000 applications in the first eight days after the new recruitment was announced on July 24. The airline’s move to hire additional pilots is part of a broader effort to improve flight reliability and return to Northwest’s historically high levels of customer service. “We’re pleased with the quality and number of pilots interested in joining Northwest Airlines, and we are particularly gratified that 20 percent of the applicants were referred by current Northwest pilots and other employees,” said Doug Steenland, President and Chief Executive Officer of Northwest Airlines. “We are making a concerted effort to expand our operational capacity in order to better serve our customers. Adding to our pilot roster will be an important step forward. Overall, the company plans to hire a total of 250-350 new pilots within the next twelve months.” In addition to the carrier’s new-pilot recruitment effort, Northwest has recalled nearly 400 pilots who had been previously furloughed. As of August 1, more than 230 of these pilots had rejoined the ranks of active pilots at the airline. More than 40 additional pilots will be ready to fly by September 1.

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Zenfookpower wrote:
Cartman wrote: But your general point is absolutely right, americans do think they have more rights than other people and therefore demand more service...
What a narrow minded inflammatory statement..
Just speaking out of experience. No anti-Americanism here, just plain reality. The phrase 'but I'm American' is not so seldomly used when problems occur...
I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Cartman wrote:But your general point is absolutely right, americans do think they have more rights than other people and therefore demand more service...
Even though I am a European, I can't believe I just read these words! It's a radical generalisation and I would sincerely like to know on what facts it is based! May I invite you to elaborate a little on it?

Looking forward to the motivation!

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

teddybAIR wrote:
Cartman wrote:But your general point is absolutely right, americans do think they have more rights than other people and therefore demand more service...
Even though I am a European, I can't believe I just read these words! It's a radical generalisation and I would sincerely like to know on what facts it is based! May I invite you to elaborate a little on it?

Looking forward to the motivation!
And may I ask you people to stop this conversation and to go back on topic! :offtopic: Otherwise: topic :locked:

korkilla

Post by korkilla »

The last flight left today and NWA won't be back in BRU soon

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Without me knowing it I saw the last NWA 757 at BRU when I arrived from Alaska this morning. :lol:

But if the shortage of pilots is really the cause, then I wouldn't be surprised if they return, since AF/KLM said the route was so successful. I would be surprised, however, if it actually is the only cause. Especially if they cancel this route which was doing so well.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

The B-concourse is still filled with publicity for 'the Detroit connection'...
I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Cartman wrote:The B-concourse is still filled with publicity for 'the Detroit connection'...

Also on www.brusselsairport.be

chunk

Post by chunk »

korkilla wrote:The last flight left today and NWA won't be back in BRU soon
If it is cancelled for financial reasons and not crew shortages then it makes the old point to point argument rather than hub to hub interesting. If they couldn;t make a 757 work what chances a bigger plane?