Beriev-200 firefighter in high demand.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ElcoB

Beriev-200 firefighter in high demand.

Post by ElcoB »

Greece has placed an official order for 12 Be-200 amphibious planes, including firm order for six planes and the option for the remainder. It wants the first plane already by 2009, Interfax reported with reference to a source with Russia’s defense and industry community.
In addition to Greece, Italy has ordered two Be-200s and Portugal needs four planes under the firm order and six planes under the option. The respective contracts are being considered now, the source said.
:arrow: Greece Ready to Buy in Russia 12 Be-200 Amphibious Planes

The Be-200 is an amphibious firefighting plane capable of dropping 12 tons water in one second.
:arrow: Beriev-200 Firefighter.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Re: Beriev-200 firefighter in high demand.

Post by Ozzie1969 »

I just love this plane (and Beriev's similar models). :P

an-148

Post by an-148 »

very good looking plane

one has to know that Beriev specializes on boatplanes (amphibious or not) since decennias: they are both very experienced and very up to date.

very fine firefighting plane, indeed 8)

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

This something that the US Forest Service should consider for fires in the Western US! Currently they lease a variety of planes (mostly obsolete US military transports (C-130) and patrol planes (P2V Neptune and S-3 Vikings. Assuming the Be-200 can operate out of smaller mountain lakes it would work well.

They have also converted DC-10's, DC-7's, DC-6's, DC-3's. The old B-17's, B-24's and TBM's of WW2 have all been retired. Sad.

HorsePower

Post by HorsePower »

The question is :

Which engines will power these birds ? D-436TP, BR710, SaM146... ?

an-148

Post by an-148 »

D436TP

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

HorsePower wrote:The question is : Which engines will power these birds ? D-436TP, BR710, SaM146... ?
Why is this question so very important?

ThomasCook

Post by ThomasCook »

Of course it's a very beatiful aircraft

It has a complete glass cockpit designed by our own Belgian engineers @ Barco in Kortrijk !!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1045473/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0705291/L/

6 MFD's + 2 MCDU's are provided to give the pilots all they need!

greets

earthman

Post by earthman »

Why do those Russian planes have to have such ugly turquoise colors in the cockpit?

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

I really like this plane.

If you'd like to know more have a look here :irkutseaplane.com

There you'll learn that this plane is partly EADS :!:
:arrow: August 2005 signature at Maks Airshow of service contract between IRKUT SEAPLANE and AIRBUS to manage the Be-200 Worldwide certification: European and US certification
:arrow: August 2005 Signature at Maks Airshow of the Joint venture EADS IRKUT SEAPLANE SAS (30% EADS and 70% IRKUT) located at Toulouse in Aerospace Valley
Increased industrial cooperation between Irkut and Airbus for the production of A320 nose landing gear bay
:arrow: December 2005 : EADS acquired 10% of Irkut shares
:arrow: October 2006 : IRKUT, EADS/EFW, AIRBUS CREATE JV FOR AIRBUS AIRCRAFT FREIGHTER CONVERSION

Some details about the powerplant:
The powerful D436TP turbofan engines are less affected by hot-and-high conditions than the turboprop engines of other fire-fighting aircraft types. Designed for highest reliability levels, the D436TP combines proven technologies with advanced materials and innovative solutions; the three shaft turbofan was designed for the very demanding Fire fighting mission in term of thrust response, marine corrosion protection and endurance.

ciao,
TriStar :wink:

P.S.: About the russian cockpit color, I don't remeber but there was a reason they chose this blue-green thingy. BTW all manufacturers have a dominant theme: Airbus is grey and Boeing is beige. I think it has to do with not being distracted while flying ... :confused::?:

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

smokejumper wrote:This something that the US Forest Service should consider ........ Sad.
Sad indeed.
Even our European country's were late to invest in fire-fighting planes: only after several successive years of fire-disasters firm decisions to buy good planes are made now.
Curious how Russia is the only country developping dedicated fire-fighting planes and helicopters. They did this in a time when their economy nearly collapsed and they engaged in European cooperation in order to produce the badly needed planes.
Indeed, Russians need firefighting planes badly because of the huge bushfires they have every year in their vast territories(Siberia).
Last year there was almost a riot in the Duma (Russian parliament) because of the two first serial build Be-200's were leased to Italy and Spain instead of firefighting at home.

Also the cold-war spirit is still around and pressure was applied to hold of the Russians and their material.

But now, finally, common sense prevails and also the opportunities for the European aviation-industry contribute to the purchases.
Portugal already bought Kamov-32 firefighting helicopters, now some Be-200's. That big order from Greece will help to convince other country's like France and Spain to do the same.

Another fact: It are the gouvernments who are ordering this planes, not companies. Governments need good quality for their investements. Private companies are more interested in profits.

Ozzie1969

Post by Ozzie1969 »

ElcoB wrote:Another fact: It are the gouvernments who are ordering this planes, not companies. Governments need good quality for their investements. Private companies are more interested in profits.
Oh, really? I guess you get huge profits from buying flying coffins? :lol:

And when it comes to governments buying aircraft : does the word "Agusta" ring a bell? Or Lockheed? Or Dassault? Guess what the prime motivation was in those cases. :roll:

spotter1930

Post by spotter1930 »

Is this aircraft using the gravity to do water drops, has anyone seen the pressurized dispensing system installed on the B747 supertanker? evergreen aviation has done it and it could be done to a 747 company here in Europe. also the modification does have and an approved STC for the tanking system.

http://www.evergreenaviation.com/supertanker/index.html

spotter1930

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

A pressureized system has been developed and deployed for military C-130's to fight forest fires in the US West. The system is installed through the real loading door. The pressurized retardant is forced out pipes (part of the system) that protrude out and down from the cargo compartment.

The system can be installed for fire duty and then removed for military cargo operations.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Yes but how long does it take to (re)fill the plane with water?

RC20

Post by RC20 »

I'll do a bit of reaserch, but the Candair CL series scoops it up as it skims over the supplier lake .

It sounds bad, but works just fine.

RC20

Post by RC20 »

Yep, scoops it up in like 14 seconds.

I still would be curious about the engine choice. I don't know anything about Russsian power plants, and which ones are better.

I do know I have always been amazed at how clean they are. Older US aircraft (commerical and fighters) were really dirty.

Lyulka

Post by Lyulka »

The colour is like that greenish - blue thing since it is supposed to be the most relaxing colour for the human eye.

Ozzie1969

Post by Ozzie1969 »

earthman wrote:Yes but how long does it take to (re)fill the plane with water?
According to the Beriev website, it should only take 14 seconds.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Ozzie1969 wrote:
earthman wrote:Yes but how long does it take to (re)fill the plane with water?
According to the Beriev website, it should only take 14 seconds.
I was actually asking about the 747 firefighter, sorry for not making that clear. Since it's not an amphibian plane, it can't just scoop up water from a nearby lake, but has to land, get filled up, and take off again. Doesn't that make it much MUCH less useful as a firefighter?

Okay I found the answer to my own question, the 747 fills up in 26 to 30 minutes. I don't know how that compares to an Il-76 firefighter. Then again, the capacity is quite a bit higher than the Beriev, the Il-76 can bring along 42 tons of water, not 12, and the 747 probably even more, so if you have a suitable airfield in the area, it could be useful.