Heavy gate shortage at BRU?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atco EBBR

Re: Heavy gate shortage at BRU?

Post by Atco EBBR »

I was working around that time, and I saw a SN A332 departing for Malta from pier B. I suppose for maintenance?
Last edited by Atco EBBR on 08 Jan 2013, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Atco EBBR wrote:I was working around that time, and I saw an SN A332 departing for Malta from pier B. I suppose for maintenance?
The last one to get the new interior.

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

PS: Anyone has a clue when the start of the works for A Pier West and the connector will start?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Tomskii wrote:PS: Anyone has a clue when the start of the works for A Pier West and the connector will start?
As far as I can see, the works on the extension of Pier A will start first and this Q4 of 2013 or Q1 of 2014. The connector will start later in 2015.

But those dates are "under review".

Atco EBBR

Post by Atco EBBR »

Atlantis wrote:
Tomskii wrote:PS: Anyone has a clue when the start of the works for A Pier West and the connector will start?
As far as I can see, the works on the extension of Pier A will start first and this Q4 of 2013 or Q1 of 2014. The connector will start later in 2015.

I heard from a supervisor that the 'first stone' of the connector would be laid in april... Don't know if that is correct though...

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Atco EBBR wrote:

I heard from a supervisor that the 'first stone' of the connector would be laid in april... Don't know if that is correct though...[/quote]
When BRU released the first official renders of the Connector I tought they said works would probably start in the first half of 2013. Did this change?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I will check. it was a couple of weeks ago that I saw it, so....
When I have news, I will post it

BekEBBR

Post by BekEBBR »

Even if it is not realistic, is Brussels Airport going to manage the space in case of A380 route?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

BekEBBR wrote:Even if it is not realistic, is Brussels Airport going to manage the space in case of A380 route?
I don't know if BRU should make that investment. When looking at AMS. They invested an unbelievable amount of money in infrastructure works, but they don't have to room to upgrade all taxiways to category F (needed for commercial A380-operations). They had to convince the Dutch and European authorities they could also do it with the category E taxiways. The result is that marshallers still need to guide the daily EK-flight to its gate and back (and a part of the airport comes to a halt when that giant passes). Despite all the money invested AMS is still not really A380-ready, it's very restricted in the taxiways it can use and it can't even make it to the only A380-gate without passing a Category E taxiway (and as a result extra safety measurements have to be taken). And all this for about 100 daily passengers extra (arriving and departing combined). But of course AMS may see extra A380-flights in the future (tough they need to adapt extra gates for that in the case they would want to arrive around the same time).
But of course I don't know how much changes BRU would need to handle Category F pax-flights. I believe they can handle Category F cargo flights as the 748F is also category F I believe, and these can use BRU (I assume BRU changed taxiways to get to Brucargo, but not to the pax terminal).

BekEBBR

Post by BekEBBR »

Thanks for the reply! :)

Just a last question, what about gate with double jetways in BRU?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Atco EBBR wrote:
Atlantis wrote:
So common sense has settled in?
Will Brussels Airport really built A Pier West first?
:clap:

cnc

Post by cnc »

BekEBBR wrote:Thanks for the reply! :)

Just a last question, what about gate with double jetways in BRU?
that would be great! but i doubt it :|

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

tolipanebas wrote: So common sense has settled in?
Will Brussels Airport really built A Pier West first?
:clap:
To be honest, the extention of Pier West is much, much, much more needed then the new connector. Pax can new go from the terminal to Pier A. That's not the problem. But airlines at BRU want to expand and need space. Star Alliance pier would be nice to have it soon to stay attractive and to offer good connections and conditions and to give them the needed wide body gates too.

The connector is not in a huge need at this moment. Other investments are more needed.

BRU

Post by BRU »

Connector will be first, work starts this year. Extension A pier is not before 2015/2016. To my opinion and a lot of other passengers, connector will really make a difference. Both in time / feeling as well as in screening procedures. Today they can cope with gates. Cost of A pier is huge, can imagine airlines do not want to pay for it today. Cost is something we should not forget about.