Flight Attendant celebrates 50 years of service

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

Flight Attendant celebrates 50 years of service

Post by SN30952 »

Norma Heape, will celebrate 50 years of service with Continental Airlines on a flight between New York and Hong Kong on Wednesday.

Mrs Heape now serves as an International Service Manager on board the aircraft. In her illustrious 50-year career with the airline, she has flown over 26 million miles on 27 different aircraft types.

Continental will honor Heape's 50 years of service in a brief ceremony on June 13 prior to her departing on flight CO99 from Newark Liberty to Hong Kong.
:rock: :mexwave: :rock: :mexwave: :rock:

+1-713-324-5080, [email protected]

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

So how old is she? If she started at 18 say that makes her 68! You've got to admire the US carriers, some of their long haul cabin crews look like they're on a Saga holiday (one for the Brits there!)

Emirates

DC3 Fan

Post by DC3 Fan »

Boeing just gave a 65 year service award to an employe!

744rules

Post by 744rules »

I thought cabin crew was on board for safety first. How can an 70year old be of any halp in an emergency ???

I think this says more about the American social security system, and that's how those people still need a job, as their pension is not enough to live from.

On the other hand, you could envie them as they are still fit enough and not deemed to a wheelchair
motorcycling : sensation with a twist of the wrist

giobuske

Post by giobuske »

Whene you look to the cabin crew of AA, it a old people's home.
I do not know when belgium cabin crew has to stop with flying, but i never saw a air-hostess of 60 years on a OO-Aircraft.

chunk

Post by chunk »

I am all for non discrimination against the elderly but this is going way too far. There has to be a realistic cut off point at which it is deemed not suitable for someone to be cabin crew - I would suggest 55 or 60 at worst.

I agree to a point that it is an indication of a society problem when people have to work when they are 68. Though Soc security is getting worse everywhere.

Of course because of seniority rules in the US the older crews get the prime routes - such as this one. Bizarrely these are the longest ones also so is that better or worse? Better 'cos there are less critical moments to deal with (ie take off and landing) than hopping round the US in a day's work. Or worse because it is so long and tiring? EIther way it shouldn;t be happening!

Comet

Post by Comet »

If people want to work, and they are able to, then they should be allowed to.

There is nothing worse than being discriminated against because of your age (and you don't have to be old to suffer age discrimination, just ask anyone who has been denied job training in the UK because they are over 25!)
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

b720

Post by b720 »

I think that 50 years ago people astarted working at an earlier age...maybe the person in question was 14 when started as aprentice in some department in the airline... makes her 64 65 now not 70...

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

b720 wrote:I think that 50 years ago people astarted working at an earlier age...maybe the person in question was 14 when started as aprentice in some department in the airline... makes her 64 65 now not 70...
Ya, and some 65-ers are fitter than some 19-ers nowadays...

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

If they pass all the tests, then there's no reason why they can't fly. My granddad is much fitter than my dad, he goes on runs and stuff, like these charity things, and he's diabetic. I'd much rather a 65-year-old who knows what they're doing than a 20-year-old bimbo who became an F/A because she thought it to be glamourous, and has no idea about safety....

carlcat

Post by carlcat »

Receintly we had a fly attendant born in 1933 . Same category as the one from CO . The major reason is the absence of retirement funds for employees in US and Canada Some are obliged to work till they almost die . We are living in a dream country