Qantas rated worst by Australians

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ryanCX

Qantas rated worst by Australians

Post by ryanCX »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/sto ... d=10442453

I am rather surprised. Its way better than BA, on Hong Kong flights at least. and I would think the economy class is just as good as Cathay's. (Again I haven't travelled to Australia, but I've heard Cathay isn't very good to fly there)

tsv

Re: Qantas rated worst by Australians

Post by tsv »

ryanCX wrote:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/sto ... d=10442453

I am rather surprised. Its way better than BA, on Hong Kong flights at least. and I would think the economy class is just as good as Cathay's. (Again I haven't travelled to Australia, but I've heard Cathay isn't very good to fly there)
BA is simply pathetic so comparing them with anyone is unhelpful. :wink:

Surveys/Statistics need to be analysed closely because they can easily be made to mislead.

eg if you asked Australians who is the worst airline they have flown with QF would probably be the most common response. Why?

1. There are a lot of Aussies who don't like QF, we call it the tall poppy syndrome.

2. More Australians have flown with QF than any other carrier. Which results in more bad experiences - no business, let alone an airline, can please all it's customers.

On the other hand if you asked Aussies who is the best airline QF would probably win that for the same reasons - but reverse opinions.

So my conclusion is the design of the survey is probably more instructive than the results.

Nevertheless QF should note the results, there is always lessons to be learnt from feedback.

Finally regarding CX services to Aus, I flew with them from HKG to CNS in 2002 and they were outstanding.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

The source is "Choice", a NZ consumer magazine. Thus only for unsatisfied pax, no frequent flyers at all, pax looking for compensation, pax who had to pay for overweight, NZ Kiwi's who are jalous because the AU Aussies have beaten them in rugby, ...

Let's look at real opinions: Condé Nast Traveller f.e., who have annual Awards that are regarded as the Oscars for the travel industry (including hotels, airlines, spas, touroperators, etc):

general page:
http://www.cntraveller.com/ReadersAwards/2006/

only airlines:
http://www.cntraveller.com/ReadersAwards/2006/Airlines/

Leisure Travel - Long Haul
1 Cathay Pacific 89.67%
2 Virgin Atlantic 89.25%
3 Emirates 88.13
4 British Airways 87.79
5 Singapore Airlines 87.44
6 Air New Zealand 85.27
7 Thai Airways 85.10
8 Malaysia Airlines 84.20%
9 Qantas 83.45%
10 Air Canada 83.36%

Business
1 Emirates 90.51%
2 British Airways 89.05%
3 Singapore Airlines 88.93%
4 Cathay Pacific 88.32%
5 Virgin Atlantic 86.61%
6 Qantas 85.29%
7 BMI 84.57%
8 Lufthansa 83.68%
9 KLM 81.57%
10 Malaysia Airlines 81.43%

Low cost
1 EasyJet 85.18%
2 BMIBaby 84.59%
3 Virgin Blue 84.25%
4 JetBlue Airways 81.48%
5 Flybe 80.89%

ryanCX

Post by ryanCX »

Probably sounds like I'm eating my own words since I did put up the topic based on a poll, but I have to say, rankings mean absolutely nothing.
I have been Economy of Cathay, Emirates, BA, Singapore Airlines, THAI and Qantas among the top ranked airlines for long haul ecomomy on that list and personally I'd rank them very differently. Experience with Emirates being disappointing and Thai, complete nightmare.

I was just shocked cuz the article stated that Australians voted their own flag carrier to be worse than other airlines. Being from Hong Kong, I'm proud of Cathay Pacific. People in Britain don't seem to feel the same about BA, but I woudn't call them pathetic. They've been satisfactory for the price they charge for HKG flights. Anyway, normally people don't hate their flag carriers, especially if it is as good as Qantas. I mean I thought Air India was appauling, but my friends from India seem to think differently.

CX

Post by CX »

This year's fall I have specifically bought a QF ticket from AKL transfer at an australian city to HKG, why?

Last year I travelled direct flight from AKL to HKG one of their A343s, and that thing has ridiculous seat pitches. In recent years I have travelled long haul on economy SIA 772ER/744, QF 744/A333 and by far CX has the highest seat pitch.
I am from Hong Kong and I'm proud of Cathay, their service is outstanding and their flight attendants are very good and exceptionally good support at HKG. They have new seats coming out soon hopefully that improves the situation.
So this year I decided to do a transit at australia to travel on their newer A333s.

A390

Post by A390 »

[quote]Low cost
1 EasyJet 85.18%
2 BMIBaby 84.59%
3 Virgin Blue 84.25%
4 JetBlue Airways 81.48%
5 Flybe 80.89%

Is there low-cost aviation outside the anglo-sakson world???

jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

I suspect that not too many Conde Naste voters are regular users of low cost carriers anywhere let alone outside the anglo saxon world..so this result may not even be too representative of the feelings of say European low cost travellers let alone those from Asia or India.

ryanCX

Post by ryanCX »

Won't have Qantas worst says Byron Kaye
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 31,00.html

Interesting article[/url]

sama91

Post by sama91 »

ryanCX] yeh that's right Qantas is pretty bad, i live in Audtralia and i don't like there serivce at all. I had a ADL to Singapore flight, and didn't really enjoy it, as much as i would enjoy on singapore or Emirates.

hakan

Post by hakan »

I guess everyone has their own opinion and experience with Qantas. My experience with Qantas on international flights were average but on domestic very good!!
But Qantas is still one of the safest airlines in the world :D

DC3 Fan

Post by DC3 Fan »

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Indeed, another group of New Zealanders who are allowed to comment on their Australian rivals. If we would ask the Aussies their opinion about Air New Zealand, we would get the same negative comments.

Kiwi's and Aussies: it will never match.

CX

Post by CX »

I just don't see there is much to complain about Qantas.. nothing is exceptionally good that is worth talking about but at the same time nothing is bad enough that is worth complainning compared to SIA, CX... well they have those big flight attendant guys (as on ANZ) that will be much better if they replace them by hot chicks, but that's all :roll:

sama91

Post by sama91 »

maybe then its not the service thats, bad if you think about it, its there destinations, which are so limited. and they don't go to middleast, and that's where they are lsoing customers they are so stupid of media, the fact that everysingle arab is terrorist!!!!! which is the most stupidest thing to think. That's the only reason why when qantas is compared to singapore and emirates it doesn't stand a chance!!!!

ryanCX

Post by ryanCX »

sama91 wrote:maybe then its not the service thats, bad if you think about it, its there destinations, which are so limited. and they don't go to middleast, and that's where they are lsoing customers they are so stupid of media, the fact that everysingle arab is terrorist!!!!! which is the most stupidest thing to think. That's the only reason why when qantas is compared to singapore and emirates it doesn't stand a chance!!!!
If there was enough demand for flights to Middle East, Qantas and Air NZ would have launched services. They are in business to make money and wouldn't discriminate against Arabs or any race. Most passengers travelling on Emirates and Etihad have connecting flights to europe, that's where the money lies and both Qantas and Air NZ already offer flights.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Is there low-cost aviation outside the anglo-sakson world???[/quote]

airarabia.com

:wink: