World's Largest airport- DUBAI intl.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sama91

World's Largest airport- DUBAI intl.

Post by sama91 »

Dubai has revealed plans to build the world's largest airport in a bid to draw in more tourists from around the world.

Costing around €7 billion and covering 140 square kilometres, the airport will be a third bigger than Heathrow.
And the new hub will be ten times the size of the current Dubai International Airport, with construction which started last feburary.
If offering six parallel runways measuring over four kilometres each wasn't enough, Dubai plans to build an entire airport city around the new location, close to the Jebel Ali Port.

Districts of the new city will service the aviation needs of the financial, industrial, services and tourism industries. 850 towers standing 50 to 300 metres tall will be erected.

The airport will satisfy Dubai's burgeoning needs until 2050, although the news may also benefit UK customers hunting cheaper flights to the desert city.

BA currently flies to Dubai from Heathrow but earlier this year no-frills airline easyJet ruled out suggestions it would, at least in the short-term, add the city to its portfolio.

In numbers

121: billion dirhams is the estimated total cost of the DWC project
150: million passengers is the volume the airport will be able to handle per year
6: runways are planned for construction side by side
850: towers will feature in Commercial City
12: million tonnes of annual air cargo capacity
One-fifth the size of Singapore
11 times bigger than Hong Kong’s Chek Lap Kok International Airport

sama91

Post by sama91 »

With the finite oil reserve on earth and the rate we are burning it at the moment and in the near future, I can't see that the demand for aviation can ever be sustained till 2050. The projection is a complete fantasy.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

why not ...

they are in the middle of the world, it could become the most important hub.

There is no reason why dubai cannot be an important hub if atlanta is now.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Why wouldn't they do it? It's not like desert land is that expansive...

They have the money, the place and the vision to plan for the future. If LHR would have had the same vision 40 years ago, they'd have ample place to expand, and no angry neighbours...

It's not like they are going to build it all in 5 years, it's simply a masterplan for the future, wich is always good to have!

sama91

Post by sama91 »

well........... then.... i know it will happen...... but i don't see how they can keep living on such high luxury surley the oil will run out somtime!!!

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

sama91 wrote:well........... then.... i know it will happen...... but i don't see how they can keep living on such high luxury surley the oil will run out somtime!!!
They will have all the infrastructure in place when the oil runs out to make a pretty decent living off tourism and other businesses...

That's the whole point of investing when you have the money, it's called vision.

sama91

Post by sama91 »

mate............. i know wht u mean........... i m jus not on there side

regi

Post by regi »

Even if petrol runs out, we can still fly on vegetable oil. So put the dessert full of olive trees , irrigate them with desalinated water, powered by solar cells. After some years you can use olive oil to power diesel engines - which can power smaller airplanes .
Done.
The main question is why somebody from Europe would take a holiday in Dubai.

b720

Post by b720 »

Dubai does not have oil.

chunk

Post by chunk »

sama91 wrote:With the finite oil reserve on earth and the rate we are burning it at the moment and in the near future, I can't see that the demand for aviation can ever be sustained till 2050. The projection is a complete fantasy.
Whilst the project is a complete ego festival please bear in mind that Dubai has virtually ZERO oil reserves. Abu Dhabi has almost all the UAE oil reserves and the income is most definately not distributed evenly or by per capita or anything else.

Dubai's money comes from wealthy investors - many of which use its less than transparent banking system to ahem, clean up their funds a bit. These investors are local but mostly from Kuwait, Saudi, India but increasingly from Europe. It's not all dirty but there is rather a lot of it.

All this aside and back on topic - Jebel Ali is a stupid place to put any new airport. It is going to be less than an hours drive from the expanded Abu Dhabi Airport. Given the City's appalling traffic problems and its inability to solve them, getting to the airport is going to be a nightmare for large chunks of the population also. They would have been better sticking it out on the Al Ain road somewhere.....

b720

Post by b720 »

-They are building an extensive train system that will reach jebel Ali.
-It is not fair to mention dirty money, as it is not dirtier than (some of the) money in Swiss banks.. banks in dxb are rigid, it is not the wild west.
-Traffic is horrid but not worse than traffic in London, rome or nyc..;2009 one will have the choice to take the train.

earthman

Post by earthman »

regi wrote: The main question is why somebody from Europe would take a holiday in Dubai.
I've heard some good things about the beaches there. Otherwise I would think it's mainly for show and excessive luxury.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

They have the will, the vision and the means.
Is that enough ?
Will this gorgeous plans prove realistic or are they doomed to vanish in the sands of the desert ?
Time will tell.

Personally I see objectively far bigger opportunities in India and more precisely in Delhi.
Lots of considerations pleade for a huge ambitious airport program in New Delhi, a.o.
1. the extraordinary economic development of India
2. the huge population of India (a third of which being clear candidate for considerable enrichment)
3. ideal location between East and West.

All 3 points mentioned here make Delhi a far better candidate imo to implement the world's biggest airport.
And money you will ask ?
Well you will find lots of that in some indian hands too ...

So what lacks ?
Maybe just the idea ?

Greets to all my indian friends
Christophe

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

dont forget that emirates airlines is one of the fastest growing company in the world, they have more than 100 aircraft on order, including 47 (!!) A380 ...

That's already insane, so they need an airport now
I completely see a world hub there.

chunk

Post by chunk »

earthman wrote:
regi wrote: The main question is why somebody from Europe would take a holiday in Dubai.
I've heard some good things about the beaches there. Otherwise I would think it's mainly for show and excessive luxury.
The beaches in Dubai itself are quite nice. Not Caribbean nice but nice enough. There are nicer beaches in the UAE over on the East Coast and the scenery is a lot nicer over there as well especially if you stray into the Omani Mussandam Peninsula. Stunning. Dubai is a fine place for a short break but you don't need any longer than 5 days unless you are a real beach and shopping mall junkie.

As for the traffic being no worse than any European city. Maybe true but European cities are historically hundreds of years old with a limited scope to solve traffic problems. They also have public transport in major european cities that takes some traffic away. They are building the monorail system in Dubai but if you look at the detail you will soon realise that it is also doomed. The rail link is not widespread and in order to get to and from stations guess what the mode of transport is? Yep - the car. There is also the issue of who is going to use it. The population demographic is so strange in Dubai that I am not sure who they expect to utilise it. I can assure you, those responsible for most of the traffic will not be the ones on the train system.......still - I hope I am wrong.
If they were going to build a rail system they should have gone massive immediately with stops all over the city. If they can spend the amount required on an aiport on the all these ego schemes why not a rail system? Because it ain;t flash!

bits44

Post by bits44 »

Just a comparison with Atlanta Hartsfield the worlds busiest airport:

Atlanta: aircraft movements 976,447 all commercial
Dubai: aircraft movements: 237,258

Passenger throughput Atlanta: 85 million
Passenger throughput Dubai: 33 million estimated 2007

I would think the Dubai facility may be a bit of overkill.
or somebodys looking ahead about a hundred years.
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

teach

Post by teach »

Atlanta: aircraft movements 976,447 all commercial
Dubai: aircraft movements: 237,258

Passenger throughput Atlanta: 85 million
Passenger throughput Dubai: 33 million estimated 2007

I would think the Dubai facility may be a bit of overkill.
And now compare that to the average growth at both airports.

I'll give you the figures for Dubai, over the last 15 years:

Passengers: average yearly growth of 13%, total growth over that same period: 650 (!)%!
Cargo: average yearly growth of 16.7%, total growth 1000%!
Aircraft movements: average yearly growth of 7.7%, total growth of 315%!

I don't have the stats for ATL, but doubt they're anywhere near as impressive.

If this growth rate at Dubai keeps up (and it's showing no signs of slowing down), an airport this size will indeed be justified. And as others have said: this is a masterplan, and the six runways and 150 million capacity is what the end result will be, not what it will look like from the start.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

or somebodys looking ahead about a hundred years.
That's exactly what is different here.
They might be able to do in 15 years what one might need 100 years ...

I have no interest in dubai, but i see what they've done in a few years, it's faster growing than china ... i beleive everything is possible.

sama91

Post by sama91 »

well........ take it this way....... i lived in Dubai for 9 years.......... my uncle was the x manager of dubai intl. airport.............. n he always tld me.. most plp came for business............ but they actually enjoyed having a holiday rather than.... doin business........... beaches and the atmosphere............ the climate might not be so good.... but luxuries day got r fantastic

earthman

Post by earthman »

chunk wrote: As for the traffic being no worse than any European city. Maybe true but European cities are historically hundreds of years old with a limited scope to solve traffic problems. They also have public transport in major european cities that takes some traffic away. They are building the monorail system in Dubai but if you look at the detail you will soon realise that it is also doomed. The rail link is not widespread and in order to get to and from stations guess what the mode of transport is? Yep - the car. There is also the issue of who is going to use it. The population demographic is so strange in Dubai that I am not sure who they expect to utilise it. I can assure you, those responsible for most of the traffic will not be the ones on the train system.......still - I hope I am wrong.
If they were going to build a rail system they should have gone massive immediately with stops all over the city. If they can spend the amount required on an aiport on the all these ego schemes why not a rail system? Because it ain;t flash!
Perhaps someone should suggest the Emir to build a really really fancy subway system?