BRU Pier C demolished ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

spotter1102

BRU Pier C demolished ?

Post by spotter1102 »

I don't know if it's new but I saw on jetphotos.net a aerial picture of Brussels Airport made on 19 April and I remarked that the Pier C has been demolished... :shock:

(Sorry if a topic about this already exist)

Stij

Post by Stij »

Yes and no: the small pier has been demolished, but not the sattelite! Pier and sattelite together were "pier C"

Cheers mate,

Stij

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Why did they demolish the small pier ?
And what are the plans regarding the old terminal building and the satellite ?

blackbox

Post by blackbox »

It's about time Brussels Airport is going to demolish or renovate the old part of the airport because today, it looks like hell. When you arrive by car (or even by plane) at Brussels Airport it looks like some Eastern European airport during the Cold War!

Just look at the old part in the background, it's horrible!

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Stij wrote:Yes and no: the small pier has been demolished, but not the sattelite! Pier and sattelite together were "pier C"

Cheers mate,

Stij
Ah ok thanks :wink:

brusselsairlinesfan

blackbox wrote:It's about time Brussels Airport is going to demolish or renovate the old part of the airport because today, it looks like hell. When you arrive by car (or even by plane) at Brussels Airport it looks like some Eastern European airport during the Cold War!

... I agree... even if its kinda "souvenir"...

teach

Post by teach »

The small rectangular pier part of the C-terminal was demolished a few years ago.
It's about time Brussels Airport is going to demolish or renovate the old part of the airport
It won't be demolished, as I believe it is a protected landmark. At this moment, there is little use renovating it, as BRU doesn't need the extra capacity.

brusselsairlinesfan

How are the old building + satellite used nowadays ?

carlcat

Pier C

Post by carlcat »

The main hall onto the old building is a gift from the USA at the expo of 58 . Since Its a gift it has to be kept as a memorial or historical building . The small part of the building was not a part of the whole concept , the rotonde is part . So it cannot be destroyed . As by ending the Belgian mandate of Biac , no actions have been taken to give it a new future . Now the aussies are there , they are looking to reuse it , as the project can exist the C pier can become a terminal for low cost carriers or ???? as they also want to give new life to the old building . I hope I could explain somthing about the matter .

brusselsairlinesfan

Re: Pier C

carlcat wrote:The main hall onto the old building is a gift from the USA at the expo of 58 . Since Its a gift it has to be kept as a memorial or historical building . The small part of the building was not a part of the whole concept , the rotonde is part . So it cannot be destroyed . As by ending the Belgian mandate of Biac , no actions have been taken to give it a new future . Now the aussies are there , they are looking to reuse it , as the project can exist the C pier can become a terminal for low cost carriers or ???? as they also want to give new life to the old building . I hope I could explain somthing about the matter .
Hey Carlcat !

Thanxxx for the "long awaited" (at least for me...) answer...

Cheers,

Vincent

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Why did they demolish the small pier ?
To make space for parking stands for long haul cargo planes. This was asked by DHL, if I'm not mistaking.

I believe that the inside of the tall building (the offices) were renewed inside a few years ago. Member Brubiac can for sure tell us more about this. But it's a pity indeed that the outside looks as it does right now...
It won't be demolished, as I believe it is a protected landmark.
The main hall onto the old building is a gift from the USA at the expo of 58 . Since Its a gift it has to be kept as a memorial or historical building . The small part of the building was not a part of the whole concept , the rotonde is part .
I'm not sure, but I heard onhere a while ago that only the old departure hall (where now continental etc still have their check-in) was a protected landmark. I never got a clear answer about the sattelite though, but I thought that it wasn't protected (yet).

Take into account: I'm not working at or for the airport, so I don't have firsthand information. Just my 2 cents!

Greets,

Pieter

teach

Post by teach »

The small part of the building was not a part of the whole concept , the rotonde is part . So it cannot be destroyed .
Actually, the pier that is still standing today was the only one that was not part of the original 1958 building. The north and south fingers were part of it, and both have been demolished. The remaining pier is over a decade younger than the noth and south fingers.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

I believe that the inside of the tall building (the offices) were renewed inside a few years ago. Member Brubiac can for sure tell us more about this.
Indeed and the works are still going strong :lol:

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

This building has charm, especially inside, it was built in 1958 and features the "spatial" and "futuristic" style that was fashionable back then. The hall downstairs in front of the huge window was enormous and very effective I think and there was a big hall for the visitors with lots of seats, in fact this airport was really spacious comparing to other airports the same capacity. And people enjoyed the fact that you could cheer your friends or family arriving or leaving from the nice gallery above the passenger-only area (this gallery used to be open but for security reasons it was closed by windows later on).
The satellite and the big check-in zone were added in 1973 and feature a "non-style" very typical from the seventies...
I think this big old terminal is perfect for low cost, I don't understand why they say they want to build a new one. It has 10 airbridges plus a couple of more gates downstairs for many remote stands.
No wonder Brussels airport is way too big for its number of passengers. The old terminal only could handle way over 10 million passengers.
ANd the new one is 4 times bigger maybe...

Jensmu

Post by Jensmu »

Flybe wrote:I'm not sure, but I heard onhere a while ago that only the old departure hall (where now continental etc still have their check-in) was a protected landmark. I never got a clear answer about the sattelite though, but I thought that it wasn't protected (yet).
I think its not only the part of the old departure hall which is still accessible (the USA check-ins) but also the hall where one arrived and departed from there, now used as Sky Hall http://www.gourmetinvent.be/NL/skyhall.html for catering purposes.
I had the brief chance to look into it once when someone entered and I could recognize a large empty room, left more or less in '58 style, and at the background - I am not sure if I saw it right - some old airside facilities with stairs in steel or similar, perhaps someone can precise this.

I also remember being waved at by family members through glass when arriving into the airport building in the late 80s. Still I am not sure if I am confusing this with Montréal Mirabel airport where the arrival situation was similar, where public could look from the second floor to see the passengers entering into the building, waiting for pass control and luggage.

I am still interested in any photos of the interiour of the ex Pier C from that time, including the Satellite.

Photos from today can be seen on: http://www.gourmetinvent.be/NL/photopag ... =Sky+Hall1#

The iron contruction I talked of before can be seen here in the background at the right:
http://www.gourmetinvent.be/NL/photosho ... kussen.jpg

Jens

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

The old departure lounge (with the taxfree shops) is still like it was before it closed some years ago, with all the shops inside it, even the hallway to the 'satellite' is like that, with empty shops and bars.

I already heard rumours that the 'satellite' would be renewed for low cost. Don't take this last thing as the truth, as I told it's a rumour :!:

Tompompier

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

I agree that the 'main building' is a very old building, and I've always found it quite odd for some reason :s don't ask me how...:s

But I must disagree with telling that from the C-sattelite. The building was newly builded in the years 70 (end) or '80's I think?? It once was the prowd of BRU, the Sabena long-haul flights loaded there (DC-10 and B747).

I've always liked it a lot and in comparison to some other buildings at the airport I still find the C-sattelite is looking quite modern (at least if you would clean it a bit), with it's 'brown' windows.

Will miss it.

Best regards: Yannick ;)

Ghandi

Post by Ghandi »

I heard the big office building is earmarked for renovation, soon.
The old terminal departures hall and satellite seem not involved in this project.

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

Bruspotter wrote:Hello

I agree that the 'main building' is a very old building, and I've always found it quite odd for some reason :s don't ask me how...:s

But I must disagree with telling that from the C-sattelite. The building was newly builded in the years 70 (end) or '80's I think?? It once was the prowd of BRU, the Sabena long-haul flights loaded there (DC-10 and B747).

I've always liked it a lot and in comparison to some other buildings at the airport I still find the C-sattelite is looking quite modern (at least if you would clean it a bit), with it's 'brown' windows.

Will miss it.

Best regards: Yannick ;)
As I wrote in 1973, when they also expanded runway 25L.
Don't be sad too early that they will tear down the sattelite, it's in perfect shape and I'm quite sure it will be used for LCC.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Last year I saw a map somewhere showing future plans for BRU, with a site for terminal C marked somewhere near the sattelite and the demolished pier... Does anyone have any info on that?

Do keep in mind, it was a plan for the far-far-away future :)