BRU Pier C demolished ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Stij

Post by Stij »

When they were building the new terminal and the B pier I once saw an artist's impression of the master plan. There you could see the new terminal, the A pier and the B pier as they have been executed (actually the design of the A pier was changed).

The old terminal building was supposed to stay and renovated (the hall and the office building). The area where the first demolished finger began was supposed to be rebuilt in the style of the new terminal. Finally the sattelite was supposed to be demilished and reconstructed in pier parallel to the B Pier.

Cheers guys,

Stij

regi

Post by regi »

what do I remember about the old hall?:
  • the birds flying all around.
    the nets around the walking bridge to prevent contact between illegals and "recipients".
    the unbelievable ugly yellow linoleum - which is still there.
    the possebility to buy duty free items AFTER your arrival, going through the shops to immigration.
    the worn out boreaux-red carpet in the corridor.
    the great view through the immense glass facade.

BelgianBoy

Nets

Post by BelgianBoy »

If I correctly remember, nets were installed after a terrorist threw a grenade on May 1st, many years ago.

Willy

Jensmu

Post by Jensmu »

regi wrote:what do I remember about the old hall?:
the birds flying all around.
Inside the building?
regi wrote: the nets around the walking bridge to prevent contact between illegals and "recipients".
So that's the construction, a walking bridge?
regi wrote: the worn out boreaux-red carpet in the corridor.
That one I remember very well, still I think they had more than one, changing it from time to time, perhaps for cleaning.

Jens

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Stij wrote:When they were building the new terminal and the B pier I once saw an artist's impression of the master plan. There you could see the new terminal, the A pier and the B pier as they have been executed (actually the design of the A pier was changed).

The old terminal building was supposed to stay and renovated (the hall and the office building). The area where the first demolished finger began was supposed to be rebuilt in the style of the new terminal. Finally the sattelite was supposed to be demilished and reconstructed in pier parallel to the B Pier.

Cheers guys,

Stij

There is a book written by Guy WARLOP, former CEO of BATC = BIAC.,(title: "the 20 minutes airport") which front page shows the plans for BRU:

Pier A: to be doubled in size sometime in future:
Pier B: same as now
Pier C: parallel with B, same size as A, also with possiblity to double the size.

The old terminal building should disappear, and be replaced by building of same size like present terminal; means doubling facilities like check-in counters etc.

Warlop has good arguments to defend the parallel structure of the Piers.
Good book, showing one day some peopled had a vision.

( Capacity could be over 40 million by the way. )

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

regi wrote:what do I remember about the old hall?:
  • the birds flying all around.
    the nets around the walking bridge to prevent contact between illegals and "recipients".
    the unbelievable ugly yellow linoleum - which is still there.
    the possebility to buy duty free items AFTER your arrival, going through the shops to immigration.
    the worn out boreaux-red carpet in the corridor.
    the great view through the immense glass facade.
That immense glass facade was marvelous ! I'll never forget the PanAm 747 just in front of it and an other of Ward Air I believe. That was the beginning of my passion for aviation. I still have a DC10 model of Lufthansa bought by my grandfather. Those were the days.
Best Regards Raymond