Dreamlifter progress

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

achace

Dreamlifter progress

Post by achace »

Does anyone in our forum have an update on the certification of the Dreamlifter please?

Another question on this subject is how may separate flights are required to airlift one complete set of 787 sub-assemblies?

Cheers
Achace

RC20

Post by RC20 »

The only item I had read was that one Dreamlifter was undergoing maintenance in Kansas.

That seemed pretty unusual, as I would have expected that to have been done prior to the work, or during the mod work.

One item for sure is that it takes one dedicated flight to move the tail plane parts from Italy to Seattle.

Just a rough guess is 6. (not sure if they can do something like load section in Charleston and pick up a nose on the way. ).

Not in any order and off the cuff

Wing box from Japan to Charleston.
Fuselage sections from Italy to Charleston.
Fuselage section from Charleston to Seattle.
Nose section from Kansas to Seattle.
Wings (two trips?) Japan to Seattle
Fuselage sections from Japan to Seattle?

achace

Post by achace »

Thanks RC20, six trips is probably about right.

That is between 8 and 9 flying days per assembly after allowing for positioning flights. Makes three Dreamlifters look a bit tight on scheduling. They may need another.

Cheers
Achace

Bilboone

Post by Bilboone »

nice overview picture of the assembly flights (where everthing is coming from) can be found here

who is making the parts, can be found here.

Edit : I was forget to say that thess early delivery flights of the parts also serve as test flights for the certification of the 747 LCF. So probably it will be certified when all first parts are flown to Everett and the normal tests/flights are completed.

Seattletimes

achace

Post by achace »

Thanks Bilboone

Thats what makes this the best forum!

Cheers
Achace

boomer535

Post by boomer535 »

I read somewhere that FAA inspecters flew on the Dreamlifter flight from Italy with the tail section. I believe FAA inspecters are using the delivery flights to certify the Dreamlifter. So far things look pretty good.

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

boomer535 wrote:I read somewhere that FAA inspecters flew on the Dreamlifter flight from Italy with the tail section. I believe FAA inspecters are using the delivery flights to certify the Dreamlifter. So far things look pretty good.
This seems a bit unusual; generally (I'd think) the certification and proving flights would be completed before use in service. Then again, no passengers are on board, only crew and inspectors

Bilboone

Post by Bilboone »

smokejumper wrote:This seems a bit unusual; generally (I'd think) the certification and proving flights would be completed before use in service. Then again, no passengers are on board, only crew and inspectors
Modified aircraft don't need a "full" certification because the original aircraft (in this case 747-400) was already certified.
I think this the main reason why Boeing converted 747-400 into LCF's instead of building a new cargo aircraft. Because this process would take a lot more time ( about 4-5 years ).

maybe a bit off topic but SOFIA telescope 747 performed first flight.
Link here.
Another nice project on the 747 platform.. very nice to see.

achace

Post by achace »

The maintenance in Kansas is a bit unusual.

IMO, we will see that plane emerge with a new tail section, possibly looking like the Shuttle transporter. It is after all about five months late on certification, so something is amiss.

The logistics diagram by Bilboone is great, really helps to understand the whole process.

I wonder though why Boeing didnt go for a modification to the 777. There are plenty of older airframes around, and it would have to be cheaper to operate than the 747, and maybe even have a better still air range.

Cheers
Achace

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

Maintenance in Wichita, Kansas, is not at all unusual. Boeing has a major presence and a large modification center there. Boeing sold its commercial operations to Onyx Corp. (Spirit AeroSystems), but retained the Boeing Military Division and the modification center.

Many people do not realize that many of the Boeing B-52's were made in Wichita. The Boeing plant was on the west side of S. Oliver Street and the airfield was on the east side of the street ( a very busy 6 lane road). Whenever a B-52 had to taxi across the road, it had to wait for the traffic light; once the light turned red and the traffic stopped, the plane would taxi across the road, just like a car at any intersection. Quite a sight to see. Of course, there were men who would also stand in the roadway with signs to make sure people stopped, but the traffic light was the signal to move.

A similar situation existed at the Douglas plant in Long Beach, California.

achace

Post by achace »

Thanks Smokejumper, I believe "Modification Centre" says it all.

Cheers
Achace