Troubles at Brussels Airlines ? Part II

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

pijaleu

Post by pijaleu »

Qwerty wrote:Yeah; I fly in June. Definitely can't have a strike; just too important...
Is there allready decided when you guys are going to strike?
I'll fly to Geneva with BruAir this wednesday and Thursday (so no problem, I guess) but am looking to book a flight for the first week of May, probably 2-3 May or 3-4.
I really have to be there. I'm thinking of flying through Zurich with Swiss and then connect to Geneva by plain (Swiss) or train.
I think there's no other option.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

pijaleu

Option 1: BRU to Bern(e) with British Airways + Train
Option 2: TGV + CDG to Geneva with Air France

I'm also thinking that if they strike next Tuesday then I'll have to fly LIS - CGN with German wings and then take the Thalys. Will Brussels Airlines then rembourse me for that expense?

website-info

Post by website-info »

Guys,

just looking at the two previous posts cannot you all not even see the harm the threat of a strike is doing. I am sure that there are thousands of people thinking the same about booking alternates, I myself am driving to CGN to catch an alernate flight rather than run the risk of booking and then not flying,

as other previous posts said, there is not money in the bank (forget about unused loans) and each day of a strike costs a smalll fortune which will take months to get back at b.light and b.flex fares

Keep arogancy out of the cockpit and keep your customers happy and informed,

T

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

website-info wrote: Keep arogancy out of the cockpit and keep your customers happy and informed.
Dude, there is a press release out from the unions today that as from May 1st, strikes are a real possibility at Brussels Airlines, so please don't come to act as if you aren't warned well before and were taken hostage on the spot.

The reason the unions have decided to go public with this today is because they absolutely want to avoid having to go on strike and truly hope that just like you, the top management is fully able to understand that a stike will be a disaster for Brussels Airlines and will thus rather agree to the fair and balanced demands that have been made...

Over the coming days, we will see just how concerned the management really is with the wellbeing of their thousands of passangers and staff like they always pretend in the media (e.g.: recent strike at BRU).

Let's see who will be the arrogant one:

-) the unions demanding the firing of the person responsible for the refreshingly new human resource policy of destroying professional carriers of those pilots leaving because they are not happy,

-) the management holding on to the person in question willing-nillingly and thus in effect pardoning his methods as 'just another tool to keep things going', which in this particular case 'accidentally got a bit out of hand'...

I think that it would be proof of great arrogance form the management to defy a general strike for the sake of holding on to a person who has obviously done something more than simply not done, even in the eyes of the CEO...
Unless the CEO speaks with 2 mouths and the intimidation tactics used by the person in question have become 'new company human resource policy after all, in which case it would seem logic the management stands by him... and the unions definitely should go on strike!

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

tolipanebas wrote:Dude, there is a press release out from the unions today that as from May 1st, strikes are a real possibility at Brussels Airlines, so please don't come to act as if you aren't warned well before and were taken hostage on the spot.
Specific dates times might help.

Eg. "If our demands aren't met we plan a first round of strikes for May 1st, May 7th and May 16th."

haflinger

Post by haflinger »

website-info wrote:Guys,

Keep arogancy out of the cockpit and keep your customers happy and informed,

T
It has nothing to do with arogancy. Employees have the right to say, STOP,when the management is going too far and act in a silly way. Employees should just be screewed and obey?

A sudden strike is bad, because, no negociation can take place to avoid it. It really harm the company.
In this case, the management is warned a long time in advance, therefore every effort can be done to avoid the strike, but only if they want to!

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

LX-LGX wrote:
- a Brussels Airlines (Bru-Air) pilot has found another job and he quits Bru-Air;
- the new employer contacts Bru-Air;
- somebody at HRM tells that new employer that the pilot is "a social problem" (quote HLN);
- the employer then decides not to engage the pilot.
Is that is the sole reason of the strike ?
Are you aware that it is a standard practice everywhere ?
When somebody leaves a company, he is given a certificate with the dates of beginning and end of employment, and the job he had. The certificate may include some words of praise, but not any critic. Such is the belgian law.
When a HR manager gets such a certificate, if he is suspicious or wants to be sure, he tries to get more information by calling his colleague HR manager of the other company (next time, it might be the other way round); usually, nobody knows it.
Once again, it's current practice, and going on strike for that is a bit too much - and naïve.

ttubbie

Post by ttubbie »

All the arguments here are very well, but the bottom line is : what does all this unrest do for the image of a new and fragile airline ?

Belgium already has little appeal internationally and the airport is only used for a fraction of its capacity. Anyone considering to fly BruAir will think twice when he hears the strike rumours.

website-info

Post by website-info »

tolipanebas wrote:
website-info wrote: Keep arogancy out of the cockpit and keep your customers happy and informed.
Dude, there is a press release out from the unions today that as from May 1st, strikes are a real possibility at Brussels Airlines, so please don't come to act as if you aren't warned well before and were taken hostage on the spot.
well DUDE, there is now way I will be taken 'hostage' because I like others will not bother to wait to see if there is a strike on any given day, i will just book and fly with someone else more reliable, more customer orientated and so what if it costs a whole lot more, I dont really care !

oh I so hope someone has the balls to say enough is enough and sort the bloddy mess out before there is nothing left to sort out

T

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

website-info wrote:.... I like others will not bother to wait....,
I dont really care !

oh I so hope someone has the balls to say enough is enough and sort the bloddy mess out before there is nothing left to sort out

T
Ah well, as you do not care, why are you crying for 'someone with balls' ?

You sound like a spoiled kid missing his favourite toy....

Aviation people are people too, you could at least show some respect for people working to give even spoiled customers their service.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

ElcoB wrote:
I dont really care !

T

Aviation people are people too, you could at least show some respect for people working to give even spoiled customers their service.
Passengers don't ask much: basicly, we just want to be flown towards the destination.

You've convinced us to fly Brussels Airlines through "Passionate about you". So please do so. We are the client, we pay for the service. However, all we want is actually only to be treated polite and friendly. A smile (it's free, even in b.flex). And, if possible, we would like you to fly on time and we don't like either to loose too much time at check-in and/or security checks.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

LX-LGX wrote:
ElcoB wrote:
I dont really care !

T

Passengers don't ask much: basicly, we just want to be flown towards the destination.

You've convinced us to fly Brussels Airlines through "Passionate about you". So please do so. We are the client, we pay for the service. However, all we want is actually only to be treated polite and friendly. A smile (it's free, even in b.flex). And, if possible, we would like you to fly on time and we don't like either to loose too much time at check-in and/or security checks.
... fully agree...

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

well, passionate about you is clearly not the main business plan anymore...
I find it sad... it was what made the airline special.
Now it's just an expensive easyjet

camel

Post by camel »

The concerned pilot which was an active unionist. Is now finished and tackled by his old employer SNBA. It is a fact that SNBA said the things straight to Netjets about the background of this candidate. I don't think telling the truth is a professional mistake. It surprises me that sn took him back on active service.
So a strike is really out off any proportion.
So please do not take this opportunity to work out all your frustrations and stay to the facts!

Greetz

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

I'm sorry, but telling the guy is from the union is one thing (and is fact) but telling he will be a social problem (and won't be flexible) for his new company is pure speculation, and IS a professional mistake.

fcw

Post by fcw »

camel wrote:The concerned pilot which was an active unionist. Is now finished and tackled by his old employer SNBA. It is a fact that SNBA said the things straight to Netjets about the background of this candidate. I don't think telling the truth is a professional mistake. It surprises me that sn took him back on active service.
So a strike is really out off any proportion.
So please do not take this opportunity to work out all your frustrations and stay to the facts!

Greetz
The fact they took him back means: he is not a big trouble maker and BruAir realised they made a mistake.

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

I'm flying on 1 May with BruAir from Hamburg to Brussels, can anyone tell me what I should do if there is a strike, can I get a refund if I buy a new ticket with another company (Lufthansa, DB trains etc.).
I had no idea and now I read this thread... I'm not lucky ! I fly a lot but it will be my first time with BruAir!

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

in case of problems this day, you would probably be rebooked on another flight (other carrier or not) and entitled to a money compensation, as a strike in not a case of force majeur.

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

FlightMate wrote:in case of problems this day, you would probably be rebooked on another flight (other carrier or not) and entitled to a money compensation, as a strike in not a case of force majeur.
Strange as here at Thalys and for the railway networks, a strike is considered a force majeure, although I agree that when there is a warning it shoud NOT.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

FlightMate wrote:in case of problems this day, you would probably be rebooked on another flight (other carrier or not) and entitled to a money compensation, as a strike in not a case of force majeur.
A strike IS a "force majeure". No money, but the airline must assist you by all means.
André
ex Sabena #26567