Ryanair cancel Brussels-Charleroi to Stockholm NYO route

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

summersso

Ryanair cancel Brussels-Charleroi to Stockholm NYO route

Post by summersso »

Ryanair has announced the cancellation of the following routes effective from:

Stockholm - Brussels 22nd May :(
Stockholm - Kaunas 23rd May
Stockholm - Gdansk 22nd May

And the launching of the following routes:

Stockholm - Alghero 24th May 4 Weekly
Stockholm - Marseille 7th May 4 Weekly
Stockholm - Venice 23rd May 3 Weekly

Shame to see they've cancelled CRL-NYO - leaves us with no Scandinavian connection from CRL. Flights up there are pretty expensive and there's not much competition on routes to Norway, Sweden and Finland which is disappointing...

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

That's very sad.
Stockholm is one of the most interesting destination ...

but belgians like the sun too much ...

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Good news for SN though.

Their BRU-BMA route will definitely be thriving even better now. :)

Toaster

Post by Toaster »

:cry: Well, there goes another destination... I'd never planned on visiting Stockholm but FR's price was irresistible and boy was Stockholm a pleasant surprise 8)

It's funny how Ryanair brags about 'new destinations' and only adds which one they'll cancel as if it were an afterthought... If I were MOL, I'd say somethink like get all those last tickets while you still can...

Anyhow, thanks to Ryanair for letting me discover lots of places I never thought I'd see... And to those who haven't been to Stockholm or Salzburg, trust me - go...

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

That's a shame, because I visited Stockholm only because my tickets with Ryanair only cost me 35 euros. Beautiful city, well worth a visit!

And if I'm not mistaken, the route to Salzburg is also on its last legs...

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Hey,

Good news for brussels airlines indeed... I went to BMA with SN at very reasonable fare (140 EUR. incl tx) and I really appreciated the flight and the location of the small but convenient Bromma Airport... in the same way that I loved flying to/from Berlin Tempelhof a few days ago... These airports are really cool compared to places like Arlanda, Tegel, Schönefeld...

To be honest, I think there is no comparison between brussels airlines and Ryanair...

Cheers,

Vincent (F- Paris)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:
To be honest, I think there is no comparison between brussels airlines and Ryanair...

Cheers,

Vincent (F- Paris)
Indeed : one is desperately trying to survive, the other is in full swing...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ozzie1969 wrote:the route to Salzburg is also on its last legs...
This seasonal destination should come back next winter.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: To be honest, I think there is no comparison between brussels airlines and Ryanair...
To be honest, I don't see a difference besides BRU/CRL.
Flew with them on an ex-VEX 733 to MAD and there was less legroom than on FR... Inflight sales were a fraction cheaper on SN I presume.

brusselsairlinesfan

Flying from places like BVA (at least 1h drive from Paris), PIK (soooo far from Glasgow) or CRL (hmmmm no comments)... will never be so convenient as "catching" a plane at THF, BMA, or even BRU !
In terms of airfares, flying on FR is not always cheaper than using SN or even AF ! The bus ride from Paris to BVA is also more expensive than a train ride to CDG or ORY... Same does apply for dowtn BRU to CRL...

I enjoy the seats of SN Avros but not the "fully packed" FR 737s

In terms of catering, SN offers a good choice at reasonable prices (eg. soft drinks : 1 EUR).

Honestly, I still see the differences between FR and SN...

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:Flying from places like BVA (at least 1h drive from Paris), PIK (soooo far from Glasgow) or CRL (hmmmm no comments)... will never be so convenient as "catching" a plane at THF, BMA, or even BRU !
Not everyone lives right next to BRU, THF or BMA... It might surprise you, but airports like CRL, PIK and BVA have catchment areas of themselfs, next to tranfer pax who go the capital...
brusselsairlinesfan wrote:In terms of airfares, flying on FR is not always cheaper than using SN or even AF ! The bus ride from Paris to BVA is also more expensive than a train ride to CDG or ORY... Same does apply for dowtn BRU to CRL...
Granted, but most of the time it is cheaper, and even including the bus ride...

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:I enjoy the seats of SN Avros but not the "fully packed" FR 737s
Try an SN 737 in the back, and compare that to FR 737's...

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:In terms of catering, SN offers a good choice at reasonable prices (eg. soft drinks : 1 EUR).
You did forgot to mention the cans are as big a thumb, and contain not by far the amount of drink you expect to get. I would suspect FR does the same though, at slightly higher prices...

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:Honestly, I still see the differences between FR and SN...
Different airports (and more help when things go wrong, that counts for something), and that's about it in my eyes...

TBSC

Re: Ryanair cancel Brussels-Charleroi to Stockholm NYO route

Post by TBSC »

summersso wrote:Ryanair has announced the cancellation of the following routes effective from:

Stockholm - Gdansk 22nd May
That's good news for Wizz Air. FR's NYO-GDN route did not live long...

FlightSimCrew

Post by FlightSimCrew »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:I enjoy the seats of SN Avros but not the "fully packed" FR 737s
Try an SN 737 in the back, and compare that to FR 737's...

[/quote]

Irrelevant, only perception, both airlines operate at the same pitch..
the fact is that FR does not offer reclinable seats and b.air 737 have that option.

summersso

Post by summersso »

I flew back to Brussels from Gatwick a couple of weeks ago on one of SN's 737's (OO-VBR). I'm certainly not a fan of Ryanair and their non-reclining seats, but at least their aircraft look fresh and clean. This old tired 737 was far worse - stained seats, no headrest (important if you're over 1m50 I think!), dimly lit cabin and old dirty overhead bins. Interestingly, I also noted that nobody in b-light bought anything from the onboard bar...

brusselsairlinesfan

summersso wrote:I flew back to Brussels from Gatwick a couple of weeks ago on one of SN's 737's (OO-VBR). I'm certainly not a fan of Ryanair and their non-reclining seats, but at least their aircraft look fresh and clean. This old tired 737 was far worse - stained seats, no headrest (important if you're over 1m50 I think!), dimly lit cabin and old dirty overhead bins. Interestingly, I also noted that nobody in b-light bought anything from the onboard bar...
I think that only few of the brussels airlines 737s (ex- Virgin Express) are really "tired" while the others are more recent... Maybe they will refurbish them... any info ?!

Ozzie1969

Post by Ozzie1969 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:
summersso wrote:I flew back to Brussels from Gatwick a couple of weeks ago on one of SN's 737's (OO-VBR). I'm certainly not a fan of Ryanair and their non-reclining seats, but at least their aircraft look fresh and clean. This old tired 737 was far worse - stained seats, no headrest (important if you're over 1m50 I think!), dimly lit cabin and old dirty overhead bins. Interestingly, I also noted that nobody in b-light bought anything from the onboard bar...
I think that only few of the brussels airlines 737s (ex- Virgin Express) are really "tired" while the others are more recent... Maybe they will refurbish them... any info ?!
If you want to fly a "tired" 737, try flying AMS to CDG on Air France. I think the pitch on their 737s was intended for people who have no legs...

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

I'm also one of those who flew from Charleroi to NYO because of the super cheap flights and then discovered that Stockholm was a really fantastic city trip destination. I loved it!

I'm surprised that they will completely axe this daily route. I thought they might have reduced the frequency before completely cancelling it...

Indeed, brussel airline's BRU-BMA is a lot handier, and long may the prices remain reasonable!!!

PS - Salzburg was year round since its introduction. It'd be nice to see it come back as a seasonal winter route, but I'm not holding my breath.[/b]

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Charlie Roy wrote:Indeed, brussel airline's BRU-BMA is a lot handier, and long may the prices remain reasonable!!!

PS - Salzburg was year round since its introduction. It'd be nice to see it come back as a seasonal winter route, but I'm not holding my breath.[/b]
Well...
I bought this ticket during the Easter-Offer period...

Tuesday 17 July, flight SN2303 b.light
departs Brussels at 08:50,
arrives Stockholm at 11:10 (local time).

Friday 20 July, flight SN2308 b.light
departs Stockholm at 20:05,
arrives Brussels at 22:20 (local time).

YOUR BOOKING CLASS : S (SLIGHT51)

Fare & Payment Details

Base fare EUR 20.00
Taxes EUR 68.39
Commercial fees EUR 10.00

Total EUR 98.39

More expensive than Ryanair but I can fly from a major airport to a central airport (and not Stockholm-west-south-north-east ?) with a nice Avro 85 and buy affordable catering... :wink:
Moreover the departure and arrival times are convenient : early morning and late evening.

Ozzie1969

Post by Ozzie1969 »

Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there any chance of Ryanair coming back to Ostend? :(

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Ozzie1969 wrote:Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there any chance of Ryanair coming back to Ostend? :(
It's not a stupid question :wink: I have read somewhere that it could be possible in a near future.

I don't remember the source, sorry !