More flights than ever - including world's shortest hop!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

summersso

More flights than ever - including world's shortest hop!

Post by summersso »

I found the following article interesting, thought some of you may too:

THE WORLD’S scheduled airlines – including low cost carriers – offered a record 3.3 billion seats on 28.2 million flights during 2006. That represented an average daily offer of more than nine million seats on 77,371 individual flights. The statistics are according to calculations by OAG, the global travel and transport information company recently purchased by the UK’s United Business Media group.

*Total seat offer year-on-year was up 3.4 per cent from the 3.2bn seats offered in 2005 across 27.7m flights.
*Scheduled flights increased 1.8 per cent from 2005 to 2006 with 2,856 new direct or re-instated services being introduced during the year.
*Of the new flights introduced in 2006 the route with the largest seat offering was the domestic service between Tokyo Haneda and Osaka Kobe in Japan which offered 773,871 seats on 3,853 flights. Domestic services also dominated the top 10 new routes in terms of scheduled flight frequencies.
*The Dallas/Forth Worth Love Field to St Louis Lambert in the US held the number one new route by adding 5,387 frequencies and 723,300 seats in 2006. US domestic routes, including the new helicopter service in New York between JFK and downtown Manhattan, held five of the top 10 places with new Japanese domestic services taking a further four slots.
*The longest scheduled route flown in 2006 was between Newark (EWR) and Singapore (SIN) with an elapsed time of 18 hours and 40 minutes. The flight is operated by Singapore Airlines using an Airbus A340-500 to cover the 9,523 miles (8,275 nautical miles; 15,325 kms).
*The world’s shortest scheduled route is between Papa Westray (PPW) and Westray (WRY) in the UK with an elapsed time of two minutes. The flight is operated by BA franchise Loganair using a Britten-Norman Islander to cover just nine miles (eight nautical miles; 14 kms). Westray and the smaller Papa Westray are part of Scotland’s Orkney Islands, lying some 20 miles north of the capital Kirkwall.
*Low cost carriers represented 17 per cent of the total number of scheduled seats on offer worldwide. Within the US the capacity share of the low cost carriers was 27 per cent, slightly more than Europe where the offer was 24 per cent.
*On a year to year basis the low seat capacity was up nearly 16 per cent globally in 2006.

“The facts show that scheduled airlines offered more seats in 2006 than ever before with more than 3bn seats being made available to the flying public,” explained Duncan Alexander, managing director at OAG. “At a very conservative estimate of a 70 per cent load factor that means over 2.3bn people will have flown during 2006. That is more than 6.3m people flying every day of the year on either business or leisure,” he said. “Given the schedules already in the OAG system for the first quarter of 2007, the trend of more seats and flights being offered by the world’s scheduled airlines, this record looks like being broken in 2007,” he added.

Source: London Press Service

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

I remember when Continental used to offer the shortest flight in Texas. It was scheduled jet service between Houston 2 largest airports. I dont think they even raised the landing gear :)
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

TexasGuy wrote:I remember when Continental used to offer the shortest flight in Texas. It was scheduled jet service between Houston 2 largest airports. I dont think they even raised the landing gear :)
Ah, the service between IAH and HOU. I saw some pics of that on A.net. I think it was called "Continentals Houston Proud express". It was flown by a DC-9

For the WRY-PPW hop: You can find a video of this on Youtube.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Cesare

Post by Cesare »

[quote="fokker_f27]
For the WRY-PPW hop: You can find a video of this on Youtube.[/quote]

Do you have a link to this video?

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

Cesare wrote:Do you have a link to this video?
See :arrow: HERE

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Or here
On this video the flight is even shorter: only 1 minute because of a tailwind.

Pictures of the one and only aircraft that flew the KIAH-KHOU Flight:
here[/url]
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

I took that flight (flight n° 651) back in 11/09/1984.
Loganair (then still an independent carrier) G-BFNV. It was two minutes indeed.

Air_Lac