US Airways wants to add long haul routes from PHL and PHX

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cageyjames

US Airways wants to add long haul routes from PHL and PHX

Post by cageyjames »

US Airways eyes ultra long haul
PHL to Asia we know is important, but PHX-FRA was only a rumor until now. LH used to serve this route a couple times, but dropped it after 9/11. PHL to NRT might be wishful thinking though...
US Airways - Fly with US

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

I think the chances of you guys beating Delta or Continental for China rights are slim to non. If you get into the ultra-longhaul market, you will have to have better onboard service. The current service is terrible. I can assure you that the competition will eat your lunch if you dont improve onboard service. At any rate, good luck!!
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

Aspirapolvere

Post by Aspirapolvere »

I also wish you all the luck in the world - always wonderful to see more European routes from Phoenix.

Unfortunately you also still have a lot of 'bugs' to work out re customer service. Hopefully these are still just merger related hiccups.
TexasGuy wrote:I think the chances of you guys beating Delta or Continental for China rights are slim to non. If you get into the ultra-longhaul market, you will have to have better onboard service. The current service is terrible. I can assure you that the competition will eat your lunch if you dont improve onboard service. At any rate, good luck!!

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

Thousands of people stranded in PHL won't derail growth. ;)

Note: it should but it won't
US Airways - Fly with US

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

cageyjames wrote:Thousands of people stranded in PHL won't derail growth. ;)

Note: it should but it won't
I call that a hiccup. Problems like that happen sometime. It isnt ok, but it is tolerable because it only happens sometimes.

When speaking of your onboard product, thats a constant and it is terrible. I dont know of too many people that will sit for upwards of 15hrs on a flight with substandard onboard service. Your management is going to have to give your crews the tools they need to make such a haul work. The cheap route will be the death nail in the service before it begins :(

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

Don't forget, we are an LCC. Of course US' definition means LCC service at legacy prices.

People will fly. Think about where these flights are going from. PHX? Other than BA to LHR, there is not "real" (no offense to Canadians and Mexicans) international service from PHX. PHL? Sure there is competition to Europe, but Asia? I guess Newark is competition, but not all O&D want to drive to take a flight.
US Airways - Fly with US

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

cageyjames wrote:Don't forget, we are an LCC. Of course US' definition means LCC service at legacy prices.

People will fly. Think about where these flights are going from. PHX? Other than BA to LHR, there is not "real" (no offense to Canadians and Mexicans) international service from PHX. PHL? Sure there is competition to Europe, but Asia? I guess Newark is competition, but not all O&D want to drive to take a flight.
You are VERY correct. This fact will be the reason you have the passengers to start with. If your onboard service doesnt improve, you will not be able to keep these passengers as repeat customers. 15+ hours is a long time to be a guest inflight with bad service :(
Your company has some good starting points, the question is, will they be able to keep the passengers coming back time and time again? Not likely without improved onboards service.