What can Brussels Airport expect from the 'open skies' deal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

flyexel

What can Brussels Airport expect from the 'open skies' deal

Post by flyexel »

Hey all!

Just want to start this topic because I'm curious about the effects of the "open skies" deal on Brussels Airport.

As all major airports in Europe (LHR,FRA,CDG,AMS,...) are almost full,could there be a potential for Brussels ?

Excisting carriers starting hubs in Brussels ?

BrightCedars

I doubt there will be much impact

Post by BrightCedars »

Well, I think Belgium already had an open skies agreement with the US so I don't think it'll create much new opportunities. Although maybe the possibility of foreign EU carriers operating out of BRU should not be neglected, especially if SN was to tempt a home grown link to the US as AF, KL or others could technically run a BRU-US as well.

I don't see the regional airports benefit from this unless low-cost airlines decide to hop the pond in which case CRL may benefit, or BRU for that matter.

As far as a Belgian airline having the means to operate out of EU airports to the US: RLOL! :shoot:

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

Although it s one of the emptiest international airports in Europe, you should agree that it s also one of the most expensive as well as the slowest (in regard to turn-around times).
For these reasons, not that many carriers are interested.
Perhaps on a long run it might interest some long-haul carriers, who don t care about higher airport taxes and long turn around times. At least the catering at BRU is fine :-)

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

...who don t care about higher airport taxes and long turn around times...
Are the taxes at bru really higher than at AMS, CDG, FRA or LHR?
I would like to see the actual figures !
And why should turn around times be longer ?
This is not serious.
...Well, I think Belgium already had an open skies agreement with the US ...
Since when ?
If so neither airport nor flag carrier profited !
...effects of the "open skies" deal on Brussels Airport...
It will certainly enhance still more the competition on the NA routes.
With a consequence of greater offer at lower prices and a spreading of destinations.

The B787 seems to me currently the most appropriate tool to survive the coming NA battle confirming btw that Boeing's analysis on the P2P model was not so bad.

Most clearly diversification will be the key word for all operators and as you rightly hinted, you can reasonably expect KL/AF or LH to start soon NA ops out of bru.

Wether bru will have the opportunity to grow as a potential big player is another matter, not credible in this scenario because I don't see (yet ?) any of the 3 big operators letting that happen.

The only possibility left for the moment would be that SNBA develop significantly but for achieving that they need considerable investments.

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

foxtrot_lima_yankee wrote:Although it s one of the emptiest international airports in Europe, you should agree that it s also one of the most expensive as well as the slowest (in regard to turn-around times).
For these reasons, not that many carriers are interested.
Perhaps on a long run it might interest some long-haul carriers, who don t care about higher airport taxes and long turn around times. At least the catering at BRU is fine :-)
Taxes might be high, but the airport infrastructure is worth the money.

And if turn-around times are too long, that's only because of the airlines... It's up to them to change their schedule and negotiate harder with ground handlers (and pay more).

BRU is a quite busy airport now. It only doesn't seem like that due to the lack of heavies. It's an O&D airport, whilest the European 4 are more transit focussed. During peak hours it even happens that there are too little gates...

And, on the catering, i thought both caterers weren't doing as well as they used to? More and more return-catering being done? Aviapartner looking to sell their division?

greetz

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

I have read somewhere that Virgin Atlantic Airways planned to launch 6 daily flights between 6 European airport (AMS and 5 other airports) to New York JFK. Why not BRU ?

Regards

Mat