ressurrection of Fokker in the near future?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

CSB

ressurrection of Fokker in the near future?

Post by CSB »

the belgian newspaper de tijd today writes that the owner of VLM, Jaap Rosen Jacobsen, would be planning to resurrect Fokker. He would start production this year to deliver the first planes by 2010. This was said by de flemish director of VLM, Johan Vanneste, in the dutch paper The Telegraaf. Also KLM would be very interested to by new planes from them.

A rumour that keeps coming back, or is it true?

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

www.rekkof.nl

(= Fokker, reverse)

burner737

Post by burner737 »

I really hope it is true, because Fokker are one of the best planes ever built !!!

Regards Tim

Lyulka

Post by Lyulka »

Aren't they planning this for a couple of years now?
In my opinion they are way too late to restart production of this plane designed back in the 80's. And I am rather sure they will not be willing to invest vast amounts of money in a new (or at least upgraded) design, only to be beaten up by Embraer or Bombardier.

A318

Post by A318 »

Lyulka wrote:Aren't they planning this for a couple of years now?
In my opinion they are way too late to restart production of this plane designed back in the 80's. And I am rather sure they will not be willing to invest vast amounts of money in a new (or at least upgraded) design, only to be beaten up by Embraer or Bombardier.
You would be surprised how many (major) airlines are interested in the "new" F70 and F100.
Cockpit layout (no lights when all is fine) is still not seen in other aircrafts, with the expected updates not only in the cockpit but also engines and new wing design it will be hard to beat by other manufacters. For the record, this is my opinion ;)

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

Boy this comes up about once a month. I just can't see it happening now given how long its taken. I'd just like them either to do something or give up. :twisted:

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

With the new CRJ-1000 coming out, plus competition from Embraer, the Russian Regional Jet (RRJ), and even the A318 (to a certain extent), I just don't see much of a market for the F-70 and F-100 anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see these beautiful aircraft grace the skies again, but I have to be practical.
Onward and Upward...

regi

Post by regi »

How many times did I say that this will not happen?
Dead is dead and remains dead.
There was a window when Fokker collapsed. Looking back now with what we know now, we might conclude that Malaysia should have bought it.
With the backing of their petrol dollars they could have made a nice company out of it. ( and have done a better investment than holding the record for some years of the highest tower - whatever that may be worth )
But on the other hand, Malaysia also went through the 1997 economic crisis. And that could have killed the program. So, we don't know.
But it is all history, and Fokker will not be restarted.

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hi

Very nice to hear. I think VLM likes it's Fokker 50's so much but doesn't likes it that they are slightly getting older :D. They would certainly like to build some NEW Fokker 50's instead of having to search for them :D.

Although If I was VLM (but also other airlines) I would also make a report about everything what might be better to improve on a possible 'NEW' Fokker 50 , like and update but in the production proces.

Also it would be nice to see some Fokker 70's and/or Fokker 100's to be reproduced again. Especially the Fokker 100 is never build in big numbers because Fokker went bankrupt not so long after the Fokker 100. A lot of airlines would still like Fokker 100's at this time. It is an outstanding alternatif for the Avro RJ85/100 and I think it's cheaper and certainly not less good.

Hope this story will be continued...

Best regards: Yannick ;)

A318

Post by A318 »

Boy oh boy, shall we all wait and see what will happen?
Since we are no investors, none of us has the slight idea where is the negotiation proces so far.
I always say, where is smoke, there is fire ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

I remember flying on F28 back in the days of Empire Air based in New York, and then later Piedmont with the addition of the F100. Also flew the F100 at American Airlines. If i remember correctly, they had tons of mechanical problems with these planes and they had the name "dutch oven" by the crews that flew them because the air conditioning systems were terrible, especially in Texas and southern heat :lol: :lol: :lol:
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

A318 wrote: I always say, where is smoke, there is fire ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
Could be, but if there ever was a fire, it would have burned out by now...

Someone is dreaming about a fire again and again and again, but that's about it... :wink: