Brussels airport: monthly figures 2007

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Brussels airport: monthly figures 2007

Post by Atlantis »

JANUARY.

Brussels Airport received in January 1.039.000 pax. That's an increase with 2.3%.

Intra-EU: +2.2% due to strong performance on Italian and German routes
Extra-EU: + 2.6% due to Ethiopian and Hainan

In January, Slovak Airlines left our airport because mother holding, Austrian, sended back the aircrafts to the lessors.

source: Macquarie airport.
Last edited by Atlantis on 20 Mar 2007, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

January

Brussels Airport had in January an increase in movements with 3.09%.
There were 19426 movements.

[/b]

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

FEBRUARY

Brussels Airport received in February 1.064.000 pax. That's an increase with 2,3%.

Intra: +0,7%. Again the routes to Germany and Italy were the boost. Also routes to Eastern Europe did very well.
There was a lower demand on UK and Spain.

Extra: +6,7%. Etihad, Hainan and Ethiopian gave that extra boost.

About movements: there were 18.849 movements. That's an increase with 0,46%.

Source: Macquarie Airport.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Poor results. Still progress but so slow.

BRU has the perfect lay-out AND potential to be an important intra-Schengen and Schengen-NonSchengen hub.

But there is a weak home-carrier, no long term vision,...

My guess: Etihad, Ethiopian, Hainan, US Airways will be gone within 2 years.
SN is losing ground in Africa, doing nothing trans-atlantic, or in Asia.

What a lack of ambition, what a waste of chance, how much money and jobs are lost,...

It will take another 10 years to reach the 20 million pax target.

teach

Post by teach »

^^ One has to love that typically Belgian 'optimism'... Hell, US hasn't even started yet, and you're already condemning them. Etihad has decided to keep the BRU route, after making YYZ direct. That tells me they're getting good results on the route. Hainan is apparently already enjoying pretty good loads on their flights, and the Chinese market is still growing rapidly.

Yes, these results are far from spectacular, but the influx of new carriers for this year still has to begin: US, NW, U2 all start in June, 9W in August, with several carriers having announced increasing capacity or introducing new destinations from BRU. I expect the first real increase in passengers to begin this summer. Brussels Airlines getting started at the end of this month, with lower fares available to far more destinations, could also already have an influence on the numbers.
Five years max. And that's only if passenger growth stays on the same course as the last several years.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

BRU is a stagnant market.

No efforts are done to attract tourists.
It is a market for business people, eurocrats,..

Some traffic in the morning and in the evening.
That's it.

No world class airlines like SQ, CX, EK, JL, ..
(Some AA, DL,..)

9W,Etihad come for the easy slots, to start up some lines... then go direct.
and after some time drop BRU.

The HUB concept is the only concept that could work for a small place like BRU.

There is no HUB, no transit passengers, ... and no plans to do anything

Yes, I am very pessimistic.

ATC

Post by ATC »

Poor results. Still progress but so slow.

BRU has the perfect lay-out AND potential to be an important intra-Schengen and Schengen-NonSchengen hub.

But there is a weak home-carrier, no long term vision,...

My guess: Etihad, Ethiopian, Hainan, US Airways will be gone within 2 years.
SN is losing ground in Africa, doing nothing trans-atlantic, or in Asia.

What a lack of ambition, what a waste of chance, how much money and jobs are lost,...

I'm believer... I believe that BRU had it dark years and will rapidly grow the coming years. All depends on the "ambition" of Bru.Air. I'm a believer because the last few months Bru.Air have done more than the last 5 years togheter.

1) b.light - b.flex
I'm must admit that the first few months I had some doubts about their new light-flex strategy. But I think the only way to make their European business profitable is to attract more passengers. And lower your fares is one way do to it. It's important that Bru.Air finds the right mix in passengers. Transport 90% of their passengers at 49,99€ wont make them profitable... only a good mix in fares will do the job.

2) expand their African operations
Bru.Air knows that their African operations are important. They also know they are loosing market. I believe the coming months thew will announce a fourth aircraft flying to African and they will announce some sort of intra African hub.

3) Bru.Air will join an alliance
The coming three years Bru.Air must become stronger and join an alliance. They can only join an alliance if they are strong enough and usefull. Their African operations must grow and they must have a strong European network.
If they are an important member in the alliance and profitable... some big (alliance) player will eventually buy Bru.Air and so they can be a part of a world airline. Something that can only make BRU airport stronger and a real European hub again....

Like I said before... I'm a believer...
I'm not a dreamer.... I believe these things will eventually happen within 5 years. I see important signals that things are working out for BRU aiport and Bru.Air.

grtz,
ATC

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

JOVAN wrote:BRU is a stagnant market.

No efforts are done to attract tourists.
It is a market for business people, eurocrats,..

Some traffic in the morning and in the evening.
That's it.

No world class airlines like SQ, CX, EK, JL, ..
(Some AA, DL,..)

9W,Etihad come for the easy slots, to start up some lines... then go direct.
and after some time drop BRU.

The HUB concept is the only concept that could work for a small place like BRU.

There is no HUB, no transit passengers, ... and no plans to do anything

Yes, I am very pessimistic.
Dear JOVAN, you don't know what you are talking about. Second, with this kind of attitude you will indeed reach nothing, no single airline will come with this kind of pessimism.

What do you expect? That Brussels airport will have tomorrow a home carrier with more then 90 aircrafts like years ago? And this year more then 21 million pax. Come on, be realistic. Like ATC said we are not dreamers.

Behind the scenes they are working very hard to attract pax and cargo carriers. What do you expect, that they everytime announce that MAYBE airline X will come to BRU.

Don't forget that not only Brussels Airport is responsible to attract airlines.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

I know what I talk about as a very frequent traveller.
So as a user, a "customer", I find the product offered by SN and BRU very mediocre and lacking even a minimum of ambition.

Maybe you work at the airport and you find yourself doing a good job.
And you are very proud to receive an award.

In comparison with AMS, ZHR , FAR, MUC, CPH .. the service and organization is medium, number of destinations bad , frequencies not suitable for business people, access to/from Airport bad, .... and everything still very expensive.

So, only people who have no choice use BRU.
Only to connect to the World via another real airport.

In FRA, AMS, ZHR you feel the World. In BRU you hardly feel a bit of Europe.

My point is: the potential is there. With more vision and ambition, SN could grow and BRU would attract real players.

Too much Red Devil mentality.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

I totally agree with Jovan - the product of Brussels airlines is indeed very poor and lacks complete ambition. Have a look at Emirates ! Have a look at Singapore ! Have a look at Air New Zealand. As for the airport, again I agree with Jovan. Have a look at other aiports ! They respect the business pax. I don't think that either BRU or Brussels Airlines have the business passengers in the radar any more.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Dear Jovan,
JOVAN wrote:I know what I talk about as a very frequent traveller.
So as a user, a "customer", I find the product offered by SN and BRU very mediocre and lacking even a minimum of ambition.
I am also frequent traveller and I must say BRU as airport is as good as ZHR, AMS, ..., at least that's my opinion. To be honest, most of the airports have more in common than that there are differences ... SN is also a good product and I say that as a customer too.
JOVAN wrote:Maybe you work at the airport and you find yourself doing a good job.
And you are very proud to receive an award.
I am as a customer very happy when the airport, SN and others receive an award. It must be that they deserve it ...
JOVAN wrote:In comparison with AMS, ZHR , FAR, MUC, CPH .. the service and organization is medium, number of destinations bad , frequencies not suitable for business people, access to/from Airport bad, .... and everything still very expensive.
Jovan, how many of the destination offered at BRU did you already fly to? Honestly. Frequency not suitable for business people? What business are you in, nightclubs or so? I agree on the access to the airport, that should be much better, but they are working on it. I live in Leuven and can take the train which takes me in exactly 15' to the airport. When you live in Antwerp, this is indeed more difficult. But speaking about Munich: access to/from airport is terrible!
JOVAN wrote:In FRA, AMS, ZHR you feel the World. In BRU you hardly feel a bit of Europe.
It is true that the rithm and the beat of life in big cities and at large airports is fantastic. Nevertheless, I hope BRU and SN never build a strategy upon how passengers, frequent flyers or not, would like to feel the 'real' World. :D

Regards,
Danny

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

DannyVDB,
I suppose that the big infrastructure at BRU is built with the idea to have a return on investment, to create jobs, generate business.

Well, it clearly does not work.

Except a few hours in the morning and in the evening, there is NO activity , only emptiness;

The shopkeepers complain, shops and restaurants will soon close one after the other.

Europe is well covered in number of destinations, but look how irregular the flights are to many cities; low and irregular frequencies = not interesting for business travellers. Look at SN timetable and compare with LX, KL, LX..: the latter go for CADENCE (frequency) 3,4,5 flights a day always at the same time.

So yes, you see Belgian business people prefer to fly Bologna, Florence via FRA, MUC because they choose convenience.

How can BRU not have connections with DXB, BKK, TYO, ..such mega-cities where so many Belgian companies are active.

The poor management level at SN becomes even more clear when you hear that they will start their first official day with social actions, maybe a strike. This is clearly lack of vision: if you merge 2 companies, at least make sure your people get equal pay. Management had time enough to settle this matter.

About the collaboration between BRU and SN: read Davignon words today in the LaLibre interview: it shows how poor this collaboration is.

And DannyVDB, No I am not in the nightclub business.

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

From Antwerp, SN operates an hourly bus to Brussels Airport starting from 7 AM.
I though would rather take a train 'cause you never know what could happen on the road.
Seen that the Central station is nearly completed, isn t it time to start a direct connection?The rails are there, just need to do it!!
They have to hurry though, 'cause otherwise Charleroi will otherwise suit better to the travellers.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

MARCH

For March, Brussels Airport welcomed 6.1% more pax then the same period last year. This was a very strong grow that we can find in the whole portfolio of Macquarie Airports.

There were 1.335.000 pax.

Intra-EU: +5.3%: increase on routes from Germany, Ireland, Italy and eastern Europe. Lufthansa used often the A300. Decrease again to UK and Spain

Extra-EU: +8.1%: African and Turkisch destinations were very popular with high increases. Also the flights of Etihad, Hainan and Ethiopian did very well, although Etiopian decreased sometimes to a B757.

source: Macquarie airport.

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Can you give me the Macquarie Airport website, please?

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

spotter1102 wrote:Can you give me the Macquarie Airport website, please?
http://www.google.com/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=utf-8

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

blackhawk wrote:
spotter1102 wrote:Can you give me the Macquarie Airport website, please?
http://www.google.com/search?client=ope ... 8&oe=utf-8
OK thanks :D :D

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

MARCH

Brussels Airport registered 21.817 movements in March. That's an increase with 0,28%.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

APRIL

In April, Brussels Airport received 1.492.000 pax. That's an increase with 1,5% when you compare this with the same month last year.

This percentage was lower then expected. But it was caused by two events: the strike of the firemen at Brussels Airport and the in March started eastern holiday. When you compare this with the world figures are these figures still nice. In Frankfurt f.e. they had a decrease of pax!

Intra-EU: +1,4% due to the higher traffic to Germany: upgrading to an A300 on several days in the morning.

Extra-EU: +1,8% due to Etihad, Hainan and Ethiopian.

In April two new destinations were opened:

:arrow: Bern: Sun air flies 11 times a week between Brussels and Bern with a DO328.

:arrow: Aberdeen: BMI Regional flies daily, not on Saturdays, between Brussels and Aberdeen with an Embraer.

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

Thanks for sharing these figures.
Hopefully the increase will be even stronger this summer with new low-cost and long-haul operators coming.