Brussels Airport considering low cost terminal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

bruworld

Post by bruworld »

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

And, of course, in English on Luchtzak Latest News: https://www.aviation24.be/article13651.html
André
ex Sabena #26567

summersso

Post by summersso »

Van Assche wrote:"It will be a very simple terminal, without seats, without toilets, in order to reduce costs".
(taken from the latest news article in English)

They must be kidding - no seats, no toilets?!!!! Even Charleroi has seats and toilets! As does Warsaw Etiuda, even Beauvais - the worst low-cost airport in the world! If they want a low-cost pier why don't they copy Amsterdam's new "Pier H"...?

regi

Post by regi »

The alternative for "no toilets" will be toilets where you have to pay to get in, pay extra for the weight you leave behind, have to listen to advertisements and have to use toilet paper with ads printed on.
Similar for the seats: pay for a seat ( a coin in the seat lifts a bar up) , ads on the seat covers, very narrow seats, etcetera.
If they will sell food and drinks in that terminal, it will be industrial foodstuff engineered to make you go quickly to the toilet-where-you-have-to-pay-for.
Whenever you would pay by creditcard, you will have to pay an extra credit card charge.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

maybe the pier will only be accessible 5 minutes before boarding meaning you can stand immediately in line or being squeezed in a middle seat.

dre

Post by dre »

Well, nobody who doesnt want to go there has to go there. If you prefer to fly high cost you dont have to go in that terminal....

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Sound stupid to me :

- They are late, there is already plenty of low cost airport all around brussels, charleroi, liege, maastricht, eindhoven, lille, ...

- the buildings they already have could be used much much intensivly.

"no toilets" ???
what about the roof ?

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

maybe they will put a long tent like the bus gates at the B pier

summersso

Post by summersso »

Question: If they build a low-cost terminal wouldn't they also then need to separate Schengen and non-Schengen traffic?

As the share of low-cost traffic increases at BRU as I expect it will (growth of existing airlines which operate at BRU along with future airlines like easyJet) and in-line with the global trend of LCC's grabbing a larger market share, a new LCC terminal would have to be pretty big no?

Perhaps they should just park LCC aircraft at remote stands and just bus customers out to the aircraft, as SN-fan suggested, instead of using their precious (and largely vacant) airbridges...

And don't forget some LCC's, like SkyEurope, assign seats upon check-in so customers shouldn't be in a frantic rush to get to the aircraft to avoid the dreaded middle seat!

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Where would they build this? Why not make use of existing empty buildings such as the satellite or DHL (when they moved)?
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Van Assche is positively insulting the EasyJet passengers. They don't need seats and toilets, indeed !
According to Van Assche,"Businessmen have other needs" - presumably, for him, they need to defecate and urinate more often than the vulgum pecus ?
That Van Assche, he deserves the EasyJet passengers p.ss.ng and sh.tt.ng all over his airport !

Lukas_Ridgeston

Post by Lukas_Ridgeston »

summersso wrote:They must be kidding - no seats, no toilets?!!!! Even Charleroi has seats and toilets! As does Warsaw Etiuda, even Beauvais - the worst low-cost airport in the world! If they want a low-cost pier why don't they copy Amsterdam's new "Pier H"...?
Have you been to the H-Pier? when I was there, it had no toilets and no seats. Maybe it has changed since December...

It had no elevators nor escalators either to get to the gate lounges. (Is there no legislation regarding people with limited mobility?)

I guess low cost terminals/piers have to be built at a low cost ... :roll:

stevie

Post by stevie »

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=18615

even her they talk about no toiletts and no seats

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I have one word for the comments above: WEIRD.

Brussels Airport will give what those LCC wants: a terminal or pier with nothing, with very low exploitation costs.

Why is everybody shooting at Brussels Airport while in other countries they do the same and there they have a lot of LCC's. Here in Belgium a few.

Its a great idea to build it. And if you want to go to the toilet, go before you enter that terminal. What's the point?? Isn't it rediculous that you all spend your time to talk about seats and toilets.
I speak about business and that's also what Brussels Airport is thinking. More LCC, more pax = more money.

Everybody on this forum is complaining about how boring Brussels Airport is and when they announce they want to build a LCC terminal everybody is shooting on that project before thinking about the benefits.

I give you an other example. A few months ago I was reading an article about Ryanair and their dreams to cut costs. They are thinking to remove the seats out of the airplanes and instead of seats they want to replace it by wooden shelfs in a 80° configuration and this only to transport more people.

Brussels has more then space and capacity enough and I wish them all the luck!!!!!!!

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

I think it is a good idea of Brussels airport to build a separate lcc terminal, it proved to be a very successful project in Amsterdam...

The passengers will probably have to wait in a sort of "shopping center" (probably the old departure hall) until a short time before departure when their gate number will be displayed at the screens (as is common in most UK airports and French railway stations nowadays...) and than they can go to their gate (which can be taken rather literally in this case)

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

I don't think this is a good idea. Here's why:

-The A and B piers are already more then BRU needs right now.
-No seats and no toilets? No way this is going to give BRU a good name.

Just my 2 cents...
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

The A and B piers are already more then BRU needs right now.
I agree with that.
Both terminals are mainly under used and have plenty of capacity to offer for new low-cost carriers. This is in opposition to the congested airport of Schipol with low-cost carriers (Transavia, Easyjet...) having established AMS as a base. In this case the H-pier is justified.
Low-cost offer from BRU is rather limited with VEX disappearing although there is still Sky Europe, Vueling and maybe Easyjet and Air Berlin. Do four airlines justify a whole new dedicated terminal :?:

summersso

Post by summersso »

Lukas_Ridgeston wrote:Have you been to the H-Pier? when I was there, it had no toilets and no seats. Maybe it has changed since December...
No, I've not, but I've read this:
http://www.schiphol.nl/common/portlet/h ... 0750698982

... and according to this page "lounge passengers can find everything they need for a pleasant stay at Schiphol: shops, bars and restaurants, seating areas, services, information, toilets, entertainment."

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Atlantis wrote: And if you want to go to the toilet, go before you enter that terminal. What's the point?? Isn't it rediculous that you all spend your time to talk about seats and toilets.
That is all very well if your flight is on time. Even then, it's no fun waiting 30 or 45 minutes standing around, including old people, people with a baby, handicaped persons, and so on.
And if the flight is one or two hours late, as it happens from time to time ? You go back outside to find a toilet ?

It doesn't cost so much to put a few rows of seats in a terminal (perhaps less than a single manager's chair) - a toilet may be more costly, but is obviously necessary. ( Isn't there there is a law about conveniences in public areas ?).

As a manager, you don't say such things even if you have them in mind : either Van Ass had had a drink too much when he said that - or he is not very bright (or both).