Charleroi's new terminal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

loutri666 wrote:
Jacob330 wrote:A lot of new destinations. How many extra aircraft are they going to base at CRL?
Hello !

According to "Radio Contact", Ryanair is going to base 15 aircraft at CRL when the new terminal will be operational ! :D No word about future destinations.

Greetings, Seb
Did they really said that? Maybe in 10 years time or so...

Jacob330

Post by Jacob330 »

15 is really a lot... Would be nice though :D
My guess is 2 more aircraft in the very near future, and like said before in this topic, several new routes from other new bases.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Like "De Standaard" said:" the new terminal is build for ten aircrafts. How will they handle competition?".

And like L'Echo said: CRL is a Ryanair airport.

I hope they will left some space for other small carriers.

peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

Atlantis wrote:Like "De Standaard" said:" the new terminal is build for ten aircrafts. How will they handle competition?".

I hope it too, its never good to rely on one airline

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Just heard to-night on RTL-TVI that Ryanair is actually to base 15 aircraft at CRL ! Fantastic ! Ryanair is already the main Walloon carrier, it will perhaps soon be the main Belgian carrier !
Ryanair, Belgian flag carrier - that would be great !

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

airazurxtror wrote: Ryanair, Belgian flag carrier - that would be great !
µ

That would be a nightmare :cry:

but good luck for the new CRL and Ryanair

loutri666

Post by loutri666 »

:arrow: Buzz

You have your answer, I'm not a liar :wink:

On the radio, BSCA said there will be place for competitors. Indeed, they can't rely on only one airline !

:arrow: Airazurxtror

I also watched the news on RTL-TVI, veryyyyyy good news :)

Greetings, Seb

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Atlantis wrote:Like "De Standaard" said:" the new terminal is build for ten aircrafts. How will they handle competition?".

Actually, the new terminal is designed to be easily expanded to the left and right if needed... Once Ryanair and others commit to more flights and pax than CRL can handle, they'll just expand the terminal.

Don't forget that there will be an empty terminal sitting across the field. If Ryanair does expand to 15 aircraft, CRL can give T2 to FR, and renovate T1 for other airlines...

What a change though, talking about T1 and T2 at CRL :shock: who would have thought it 3 years ago?

If only they would connect the airport to the railwaysystem... Then they would be totally set.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Does anyone know what the plans will be for the old terminal? Demolition, renovation, or just keeping it as a backup?

summersso

Post by summersso »

I don't believe anyone's lying, but fifteen Ryanair aircraft at Charleroi seems like far too many. It's a relatively large base, with four aircraft carrying approximately 1.5 million pax per year (guestimate!), so why would they rapidly quadruple the number of aircraft based at an airport designed to handle up to 3 million pax per year (and I imagine, probably reduce their load factors...). I think someone's jumped the gun, being speculative, or just hopeful!

Perhaps the story you heard talked about "in the future" Ryanair may base fifteen aircraft at CRL, or "CRL will have the capacity to be the home base of up to fifteen aircraft". Perhaps a link to this story will clarify. :?:

I think as someone else mentioned, they'll add an two extra aircraft every six months/year (petit tapti!) and build it up if CRL is successful. I imagine Wizzair may expand (Katowice?!) and a couple more airlines will come to CRL... perhaps a low-cost Bulgarian carrier?

And if they do of course, base fifteen aircraft at CRL then we'll definitely need a rail link!!! :D

B737229

Post by B737229 »

airazurxtror wrote:Just heard to-night on RTL-TVI that Ryanair is actually to base 15 aircraft at CRL ! Fantastic ! Ryanair is already the main Walloon carrier, it will perhaps soon be the main Belgian carrier !
Ryanair, Belgian flag carrier - that would be great !
also confirmed here :

http://www.express.be/zint/dvp_articles ... lIdA=31986

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

When you think about it, it makes sense... STN & DUB are nearing capacity and in the UK competition is increasing every day.
FR will have to find a home for the 160+ aircraft comming before 2012...
I always figured airports like Hahn, Girona, and other bigger bases would grow, and CRL would just stay behind, because of it's history.
Thank god FR has turned the page, and is willing to expand at CRL.

Don't count on 11 new aircraft in 2008 though. I would guess an increase of 1-2 a/c a year is very likely...

Koenie666

Post by Koenie666 »

Okay i'm gonna say something stupid...

But basing 15 planes doesn't need to mean a lot of extra flights....

It just means 15 planes leaving a day.. and 15 planes comming back a day.. right?

Anyway on a more serious note

I flew Wizzair back in september.... How are they generally doing.. load wise...?

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Koenie666 wrote:Okay i'm gonna say something stupid...

But basing 15 planes doesn't need to mean a lot of extra flights....

It just means 15 planes leaving a day.. and 15 planes comming back a day.. right?
If they would be flying to Bankok, or LAX, that would be true...

A tipical FR 737-800 does 3-4 round trips a day, depending on the length of the flights. Because most flights are between 1-2 hours, it means a lot of planes are at their base at the same time. 15 planes would be +/- 40-50 flights outbound, and 40-50 flights inbound per day.
That doesn't count the planes flying in from other bases to CRL.

(that would mean 6 million pax at least for CRL with these numbers that I guessed)

FR could decide to do W-shaped paterns, wich would cut the flights out of CRL (CRL-Treviso-Girona-Treviso-CRL for example). So, technicly, you could be right. :lol:

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

summersso wrote:I don't believe anyone's lying, but fifteen Ryanair aircraft at Charleroi seems like far too many. It's a relatively large base, with four aircraft carrying approximately 1.5 million pax per year (guestimate!), so why would they rapidly quadruple the number of aircraft based at an airport designed to handle up to 3 million pax per year (and I imagine, probably reduce their load factors...). I think someone's jumped the gun, being speculative, or just hopeful!

Perhaps the story you heard talked about "in the future" Ryanair may base fifteen aircraft at CRL, or "CRL will have the capacity to be the home base of up to fifteen aircraft". Perhaps a link to this story will clarify. :?:

I think as someone else mentioned, they'll add an two extra aircraft every six months/year (petit tapti!) and build it up if CRL is successful. I imagine Wizzair may expand (Katowice?!) and a couple more airlines will come to CRL... perhaps a low-cost Bulgarian carrier?

And if they do of course, base fifteen aircraft at CRL then we'll definitely need a rail link!!! :D
Yes, it's confirmed that Wizz Air will fly from Charleroi to Katowice on October 1, 2007 :)

A390

Post by A390 »

Will the Wallon government have enough cash to subsidise so many Ryanair flights??

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

A390 wrote:Will the Wallon government have enough cash to subsidise so many Ryanair flights??
Do you have any figures to share with us?
André
ex Sabena #26567

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

The railway track straight to the airport is already in project and in the NMBS/SNCB budget for 2008-2012 according to members.
15 aircraft means that many many jobs will be created!!
Great news for Belgium!!

Cesare

Post by Cesare »

When will be annunced Ryanair new routes from CRL?
Any news?

BrightCedars

My comments

Post by BrightCedars »

I agree that it could be 15 aircraft leaving a day and returning only at night as they could be doing things like CRL-XXA-XXB-XXC-XXB-XXA-CRL but I do not think it is the intend of FR. They will most probably be doing CRL-XXA-CRL-XXB-CRL-XXC.

I really hope the train comes soon! It would be a nice addition.

Also, will there be airbridges or that's a wet dream?