BA wide-body order in 2007

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

David747

Post by David747 »

The Wall St. Journal is reporting that Airbus next week will announce a major order in London, could it be BA's announcement of A380's.

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

After the order of B777-200ER for the short term needs, BA is going to place a future fleet replacement order in the 2nd half this year:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... tions.html

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

London..... Could that be the 4 A320s that BA ordered? :lol:

bits44

Post by bits44 »

there are rumors that BA may have picked up the delivery slots abandoned by Aeroflot for the 787's, should be more on this in the next couple of weeks.

:wink: :wink:
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

Interesting report on A380 vs B747-8I for BA:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... ental.html

RC20

Post by RC20 »

Interesting but pretty inconclusive. I suspect BA has figured out exactly which one they have going with, and are using the process to secure best pricing.

The last part I disagree with entirely. Airbus is holding onto the existing A380 orders for dear life, with huge discounts and offsets. They are never going to be able to relax with this aircraft.

Upshot is, it they don't secure the orders now, they won't be there when they are caught up. That’s only 4 year production backlog, after being offered for 6 years now. Scary for them.

Virtually a no win situation for Airbus, as they can't sell them if they don't offer huge discounts, and each huge discount means you have to make more to break even.

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

RC20 wrote:Interesting but pretty inconclusive. I suspect BA has figured out exactly which one they have going with, and are using the process to secure best pricing.

The last part I disagree with entirely. Airbus is holding onto the existing A380 orders for dear life, with huge discounts and offsets. They are never going to be able to relax with this aircraft.

Upshot is, it they don't secure the orders now, they won't be there when they are caught up. That’s only 4 year production backlog, after being offered for 6 years now. Scary for them.

Virtually a no win situation for Airbus, as they can't sell them if they don't offer huge discounts, and each huge discount means you have to make more to break even.
Agree. A 4 year backlog for a very expensive-to-develop plane that is not (currently) selling well, is indeed scary. Airbus says that potential customers are waiting unitl they see how SIA does with it and then more orders will come in. I really disagree with this beleif; the plane has been flying for 2 years and enough data is available to let airlines decide. Certainly there will be more orders, but I do not believe that they will be enough to pay the development costs, including the cost of financing development.

The only way they seem to have to sell it (apparently) is to offer steep discounts that cost profits needed for new developments. This is a no-win situation for the Airbus shareholders. The previous manangement got their money and ran; the shareholders are left holding the (now empty) bag.

CX

Post by CX »

What are all those A380 terminals at Heathrow for if they are not ordering a considerable number of A380s? Not saying they will order an entire fleet of A380s and none 747-8Is, but just wondering.

And for replacement of 763ERs, the only similar sized and range replacement is 787-8, don't know how A350s can come into play in replacing 767s.

And I can be sure that some airlines are waiting to see how the A380 performs in revenue service before ordering, especially with SIA where the seat count is one of the lowest, and I suspect also its in service maintenance etc. someone who works at Cathay has indicated that to me. For example Cathay knew exactly how things were going on during the A346 development and test flight, but if they knew its performance in revenue service is what it is now, they wouldn't even lease the 3 they have, it just doesn't suit them.

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

I have a good feeling about this, in favour of Airbus.
In short-term the B748 is more interesting as little training will need to be given to the existing 744 pilots.
In the long-term, the A380 might become interesting, due to its higher capacity.
BA gets the most from its HUB 2 HUB operations...
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

BA long haul order decision is coming in about 2 weeks.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... weeks.html

lcc

Post by lcc »

Alleluia :kvole:
Even if for A/C orders, 2 weeks could be also... 2 years!

chunk

Post by chunk »

So we can expect the following.

Lot's of whooping and chearing by the Boeing cheerleaders if they sell either the 748 or the 787 and comments along the lines of 'no brainer' 'airbus are in deep trouble now' etc etc blah blah . If they go 380 or 350 lots of comments as to how the UK government interfered and how they got massive discounts. At the same time if they don'g to 787 we should hear on cue that this means the 787 is in trouble and the fasterners are too difficult to make at a rate more than one a week and the plastic frame is covered in chinese lead paint a la mattel toys. Woohoo. Bring it on.

CX

Post by CX »

chunk wrote:So we can expect the following.

Lot's of whooping and chearing by the Boeing cheerleaders if they sell either the 748 or the 787 and comments along the lines of 'no brainer' 'airbus are in deep trouble now' etc etc blah blah . If they go 380 or 350 lots of comments as to how the UK government interfered and how they got massive discounts. At the same time if they don'g to 787 we should hear on cue that this means the 787 is in trouble and the fasterners are too difficult to make at a rate more than one a week and the plastic frame is covered in chinese lead paint a la mattel toys. Woohoo. Bring it on.
No, if they go A350/A380, i think the comments will be 'BA will collapse' becaue they don't have the right equipment :wink:

achace

Post by achace »

Well, we only have a few days to wait for this order announcement, but the latest statement from Willie Walsh about the environment gives a pretty clear signal that they will buy the A380.

The emissions per seat are much less than the 748, and now NY has said it is going to restrict aircraft movements.

All this carbon credit etc. is pretty good news for the A380 because of its capacity potential.

I see 650 seats minimum very quickly in the -800.

Cheers
Achace

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

achace wrote: I see 650 seats minimum very quickly in the -800.
On EK's high density versions maybe, but definitly not on the BA, with it's focus on the high end market. If they order it, it will seat around 475-525.

achace

Post by achace »

Buzz,
It was BA who first introduced the 10 across 747.
Before that wasnt it a great way to fly?

This emission issue is going to change the whole way of thinking.

The sardine can could look real good and comfortable in a couple of years time.

Cheers
Achace

tsv

Post by tsv »

Not even BA is stupid enough to order the 748, which is just mutton dressed up as lamb. Or as Geoff Dixon puts it - "tarted up old tech aircraft".

The contest between the 787 and A350 is much fairer and more interesting.

A350XWB

Post by A350XWB »

i'm fan airbus but ..i think BA order boeing ..

my pronostique :

20 747-8I
20 77W
40 787 ( 8 , 9 , 787-10 ?? ) inclus option

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

I go with :

20 A388 (maybe launch of A389's with later delivery?)
35 A351 (B744 replacement for long-haul hub-to-point ops)
30 B787 (B757/767 replacement for short-mid haul)
25 A320 (additional short-haul aircraft for growth and the last B737's retirement)

no B748 (LH order was motivated by possibility to cargo-conversion and as A340 replacement, I think, and I don't see BA sticking to the jumbo design)

Additional A350's will be ordered as B744's get retired, but that will be for the next order by 2017.
Don't know if they're gonna order more T7's, they have plenty of them already and a few still on order. The A350 is a better aircraft as it is from a new generation.
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all