OO-TUC stuck in Dominican Republic.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

fcw

Post by fcw »

Cartman wrote:
JAFflyer wrote:So be sure, that at January the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, airplanes and crews were not falling out of the sky.

Today announced that OO-TUC has a further delay of 30 hours, still due to the rabbit incident. 250 passengers stuck in Mexico, lots of them are supposed to be at work monday. Departing flight JAF103/08JAN delayed till 1400 (in theory at least).
30hrs(indeed as in ONE DAY and SIX HOURS) delay... 8 (yes indeed EIGHT) days after the incident...
Anbody who still believes the story of "no other plane available"?

Avro

Post by Avro »

Cartman wrote:*sigh* This can't be so hard to understand...

Take-off in BRU. Rabbit gets sucked in engine. Crew doesn't notice anything, no trembling, no smoke, no strange noise, all indicators are on normal. Hardly a reason for returning to the airport, is it?
*sigh* !!! Well it wasn't clear in the first place that the crew didn't even know that there was a strike at all !! I thought they realized that there was a strike but that all instruments working as usual and thus they decided to continue the route.

However, I wonder how one could say that a rabbit has been sucked into the engine IF nobody noticed it during the take off..... Do they keep a record of all rabbits in Brussels ? Did one of the parent rabbits report his rabbit child as missing ?? Or did they find a lonely carot on the tarmac ? ;)
Landing in POP (or PUJ, whatever). Before taking off again, someone checks the engines and notices some sort of damage. As a precaution (and the state of being of OO-TUC in mind) the crew decides not to take off. A wise decision I'd say.
Certainly a wise decision I don't deny. I never said they should have continued with a damaged engine. However I'd be happy to know what was the cause of that technical defect since they continued the flight from BRU to POP/PUJ..
It's just out of interest as I'm currently doing a study on a bird strike on CF6 engines !!!
Flying back to BRU to get it fixed there by SN technics? Nice thought, but if you're not sure that you can actually lift-off in a safe way, you better stay where you are.
I didn't mean a ferry flight I ment returning to BRU after the take off.
JAFflyer wrote:And @ LX-LGX: Did you go on a search on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of January for a LONG HAUL aircraft with LONG HAUL crew available? (that equals 2 cockpit crews and 2 cabin crews) If yes, please tell me in which magical land you have found that aircraft. As also Arkefly was looking at an aircraft at that time, I'm sure they will also be interested in what you've found.
As I said in an earlier post in this topic, I wonder how many seats were available on mainline carriers !!! Yes it's a very busy holiday season and very busy charter season with the hadjj etc... but as you work in the industry you certainly know that that period is usually quite calm for mainline carriers. They could have put some PAX on LH, BA or AF and then further on to the destination no ? Or wasn't this possible for some other reason?

Chris

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Avro wrote: I didn't mean a ferry flight I ment returning to BRU after the take off.
Ah ok. My apologies then, I must have misread.

Noticed on the Brussels Airport website that JAF 103 to PUJ/POP is now delayed until 14u30. So those 30 hours have luckily been shortened? The incoming flight from CUN/MBJ arrived at 12.55 this noon.

But like many others I'm still curiuos how they found out it was a rabbit...

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

Avro wrote: As I said in an earlier post in this topic, I wonder how many seats were available on mainline carriers !!! Yes it's a very busy holiday season and very busy charter season with the hadjj etc... but as you work in the industry you certainly know that that period is usually quite calm for mainline carriers. They could have put some PAX on LH, BA or AF and then further on to the destination no ? Or wasn't this possible for some other reason?
Which is what Jetair did with the Montego Bay pax. But of course nobody knows that, because that's not sensation.
Remains of a rabbit were found in the engine. (don't ask me how, etc.. it's just another FACT).

And LX-LGX, what back-up plan can you have if you have an aircraft AOG? You search for another... What else can you do, keep a spare aircraft AND CREW (some of you seem to forget, the crewing issue, as aircraft were found but no crew) on stanby all the time?

snowbird

Post by snowbird »

JAFFLYER

If you have only one singel LH aircraft in your fleet, the only way to solve your AOG problemes is looking for another aircraft or delaying the flight.
If you have more LH aircraft in your fleet, you can solve the problems more easily (by combining aircraft, using crew in the carribean, spreading the delays, etc....).
JETAIRFLY choosed to operate their own ICA flights with one aircraft in stead of working together with Thomas Cook. So, the risks has been calculated...

dna

Post by dna »

But of course nobody knows that, because that's not sensation.
That really is too simple an explanation. Nobody stopped Jetairfly from communicating this news. They obviously never did, otherwise it would have been picked up in the media.

Corporate communication left a lot to be desired for in this instance.

JAF-195

Post by JAF-195 »

I would like to support JAF here.
I do agree that there was a communication problem. As said in this forum it is not easy tho find a spare plane in begin of january.
I've got a lot of friends which has been flying JAF and they have always been happy, one of them even called it Sobelair number 2.
They have been happy with even the 00-TUC.

Look at the delays of TC, their A320 are rubbish. I flew with them and I regret my choice. No I'll fly JAF!
Fly Belgian!

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

Look at the delays of TC, their A320 are rubbish.
Just out of curiousity, what was so rubbish about the TC A320's? And about seat pitch, TC and JAF both have max seating on their aircraft (A320 vs B737-800), so the space is equal.

Dude320

Post by Dude320 »

JAF-195 wrote: Look at the delays of TC, their A320 are rubbish. I flew with them and I regret my choice. No I'll fly JAF!
That is a good one...

If you look at the age, then it seems to be that the fleet from TC is much
younger then the old 767 +F100 and even the 737-400's.

I wonder where you get it that they are rubbish ????

Ok, they have sometimes delays, but the delays JAF had with its
767 if a different story.

Every airline makes delay, every planes make tech issues...

If most travel with the one who provides the best schedule and for a good price (note 1 travelled only 2 times with FR) rest with Sky Europe, Wizz, SNBA, VEX, even JAF and TCW)

I assume everything has a + and a - in life, look at relations, cars, houses, work, even airliners :) :)

Just my thoughts on this...

JAF-195

Post by JAF-195 »

The space on that A320 was worse then in a Ryanair...
The biggest problem was that the seats were not comfortable, they were so hard in the back, that when we came out of it we thought that we had been sitting on a bench for 5hours. It wasn't leather seats, but it might have changed since ( it was in 2004). I do not say that JAF's delays are better... (00-TUC case)
Fly Belgian!

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

dna wrote: Nobody stopped Jetairfly from communicating this news. They obviously never did, otherwise it would have been picked up in the media. Corporate communication left a lot to be desired for in this instance.
I don't agree. The media have published Jetair and Jetairfly's excuses. But the trade and the public refused them, because they knew why the flights were cancelled: it was cheaper for TUI to refund and pay some indemnity then to hire a very expensive plane.

Hans Van Halemeersch (Jetair's Corporate Communication) did a good job: well folks, euh, we're really looking for a plane you know, but it's hard to find one these days because it's Christmas period, there's snow around, it's the busiest period of the year (as are July, as are Easter). I've just been at Antwerp, you know, and they can't help us... etc etc

OO-TUC

Post by OO-TUC »

It's true that OO-TUC had some big problems, especially in the begin it was a disaster plane. But, a rabbit or other kind of animal in the engine's isnt a fault of the OO-TUC. Ive flown with OO-TUC on the route BRU-PUJ in comfort class and it was one of the best flights i had. Outbound was a 5 min delay (what i dont call a delay), Inbound we arrived half hour earlier. So also flying with OO-TUC can be good :D

JAF-195

Post by JAF-195 »

I'm sure it can, a friend of mine flew with it to the Dominican republic and he loved it.

Coming back to what I said about TC A320's, I might have been wrong...
I wen't on airliners.net and found pictures of the cabin, they nearly all got leather seats, but that wasn't the case with the one I flew, must have been bad luck for me, that's all. Sorry TC :?
Fly Belgian!

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

According to "Test Achats" magazine march 2007, the unlucky Jetairfly passengers, backed by the consumer association, have reached a settlement with the company.
They will get a full refund of the price they had paid. Moreover, they will receive as a compensation some 4000 euros for an inclusive tour or 1050 euros if they had booked a flight only.
The customers who had been stuck in America will enjoy another settlement.
Besides, Jetair and Jetairfly have now set up more effective emergency, assistance and informations procedures.