new long haul fleet for Brussels Airlines?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TWA

Post by TWA »

Found these figures on http://www.airfleets.net.

Aer Lingus, TAP , Swiss and Austrian: 4 national carriers from 4 European countries with equal or smaller population than Belgium but with a bigger long haul fleet.

EI:
3 A330-200
4 A330-300

TP:
6 A310-300
3 A330-200
4 A340-300

LX:
11 A330-200
9 A340-300

4 A330-200
2 A340-300
4 B767-300
3 B777-200

SN:

3 A330-300

As for these rumours about additional wide-bodies with Brussels Airlines, I didn't hear anything at all at the B-House except for some whisper voices about 2 B767's....hope to hear something very soon because it looks like SN need to do some catching up

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

I feel much excitement about the "possibility" of SN extending its long-haul fleet !! But this is FAR from being sure. Though they badly need it... (an A330 is AGAIN stuck in Africa today resulting in the NBO flight being cancelled). Actually, SN is looking for 1 or 2 extra long-haul, the board has given its go-ahead. But as many many things at SN, it takes time, a long time. They hesitate, they don't (or don't want to) know. At the pace of today's airline industry, the "others" don't hesitate and don't wait. And when they "shop" it's not for a single airplane. Anyways the good point is that SN seems to realize that:
1 - They won't find A330s at january 2002's rates.
2 - Long-Haul is their only chance to grow.
3 - Extra planes are not only needed to open new lines, but to act as a back-up as well. Their reputation is really suffering from all those technical problems and multi-stops flights...
4 - Depending only on Africa is not good.

Let's hope the future will be bright for SN, But I'm skeptic. At the moment they don't even know if they will keep flying with one or two AOC in march 2007. As posted above I'd love SN to loose that complex of "small country small carrier" as well.
I was talking to a person in charge of KL-AF's marketing and even them realized that Africa's routes are becoming more and more competitive (not because of SN !!) and their focus is now South America. The market is moving so WAKE-UP !!!! :? :oops:

BRANCOCALIENTE

Post by BRANCOCALIENTE »

Will B.A. perform long haul flights for Thomas Cook?
:lol: :lol:

DIDA

Post by DIDA »

Dear Darjeeling,

I think you're totally right.
your post express also my feelings..
SN has to move...but they're dramatically undercapitalised,so they can not do anything(I think they still want A330 for the lease price of 2002)
The business plan is totally unexistant,they dont know where they're going to.....

That's definitely a wrong way....

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

DIDA wrote:Dear Darjeeling,

I think you're totally right.
your post express also my feelings..
SN has to move...but they're dramatically undercapitalised,so they can not do anything(I think they still want A330 for the lease price of 2002)
The business plan is totally unexistant,they dont know where they're going to.....

That's definitely a wrong way....
:arrow: SN shareholders have NOTHING to do with aviation. What SN needs is to be taken over by another airline group that knows how this particular business is... And would act with good intentions for SN.

Did you know that they target 30% of European routes bookings to be made in "b.flex" ?? That's totally unrealistic.

AirDupont

Post by AirDupont »

So yes, a 4th a nd a 5th aircraft would be very welcome no matter which type as long as they're not as a fragile as OO- SFM/N/O.

Greetings

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

Thay are not that fragile for planes that are almost 14 years old !!

But they fly a lot !!! And they don't always land on the best runways in the world !!

Cheers !

guppypilot

Post by guppypilot »

Hello all,

are you sure about your sources ? Birdy alike airline ? Brussels Airlines flying long haul for TC ?
What would be the added value of these ? Doesn't make sense....

Thks

Ivan_Eagle

Post by Ivan_Eagle »

hello

I know one plane is comming from HiFly.
It's (like everybody knows right now :wink: ) an A330-322
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1132876/L/
Curent Reg. CS-TMT
CN 096

The first airline that flown whit this bird;
SABENA :D history is comming back.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0035314/L/

Greats Ivan;

teach

Post by teach »

I know one plane is comming from HiFly.
Do you have any sources for that?
The first airline that flown whit this bird;
SABENA
Actually, Sabena got the plane second-hand. It was originally delivered to Malaysian Airlines.

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Maybe Brussels Airlines is getting the 2 GE powered A330-200's from Etihad, they are being replaced by brand new RR powered ones there, so maybe Brussels Airlines was able to takeover the GE powered birds (which are already quite old, delivered in 1999 and flew for Canada 3000 and Volare before)

Which might be a sensible thing to do, considering their A330-300's already have GE engines (and wasn't Etihad proposing something to Brussels Airlines a few months ago?)

But of course this only some think work from my side and certainly not a reality ;)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Let me made a resume of this topic for so far:

RUMORS are going that Brussels Airlines get TWO A330-300 of Austrian Airlines

RUMORS are going that Brussels Airlines get ONE A330-300 of Hifly

RUMORS are going it will be a -200 or -300

RUMORS are going that a NEW company will be started up like in the past with Birdy.

When members are asking to each other what their sources are, they don't get an answer. Says more then enough.

If you read this, what do you think then??

We can only believe it when we see those "new" birds in Brussels Airlines colors at Brussels Airport.

guppypilot

Post by guppypilot »

Thank you, Atlantis - fully agree with you.
Forum could be a very interesting tool. However....

winglets

Post by winglets »

Atlantis,

You forgot the Virgin Atlantic A340!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Correct, that was also a rumor.

We will see what they get when there is an official announcement of it.

Dude320

Post by Dude320 »

Dear,

First of all, all the best for 2007 !! :P :P

I heard that they would receive EC-JTB from Air Madrid. :cry:

MSN 82 , YOM 1994, A330-300 :P

Anyone who could confirm this ?

Greetzzzz

Avro

Post by Avro »

Atlantis wrote:Let me made a resume of this topic for so far:

RUMORS are going that Brussels Airlines get TWO A330-300 of Austrian Airlines

RUMORS are going that Brussels Airlines get ONE A330-300 of Hifly

RUMORS are going it will be a -200 or -300

RUMORS are going that a NEW company will be started up like in the past with Birdy.

When members are asking to each other what their sources are, they don't get an answer. Says more then enough.

If you read this, what do you think then??

We can only believe it when we see those "new" birds in Brussels Airlines colors at Brussels Airport.
Indeed there are a lot of rumours going on and unfortunately nobody can trust anyone anymore...

One thing is sure though. Where there is smoke there is fire ;) All we need to do is wait a little bit longer to have confirmations.

Let's just hope that SN will finally be able to aquire 1-2 A330's or other long haul planes because they urgently need them !! It's there only way to grow IMHO. They won't be able to survive on the long run by only providing the short haul service as now.... Oh well I'm no expert just my feeling as they didn't manage to come out of the red on the european market during the last 5 years...

However seeing other airlines aquiring many long haul planes during the last couple of months is frustrating when you know SN is not getting any of them...

As for te Air Madrid plane rumour: As long as it's not as bad as OO-TUC I don't mind.

Chris

unilitha

Virgin A340 ??

Post by unilitha »

Hey what's the story about the A340 ? I guess it's the -300 ? What route would this aircraft fly ? It is capable of something like 12000km while the A330 only 9500km and for the same pax capacity so it would mean a long trip like LAX for example ... what is the purpose of getting this aircraft iso another A330 except for the pleasure of watching ?

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

There are currently around 25 (!!) potential customers to acquire A330, yes, 25. All of them look at the Austrian and Air Madrid A330.

So, no way for SN to negociate, it will be market's price. And it's always the leasing company that has the last word when it comes to decide. Many rumours that have appeared on this forum are true, because SN does not know itself what it is going to do... :roll:

One rumour will prove true, but no one knows which one and when it will be official ! Cheers guys !

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

And here is my guess
There will be no addition of a/c in the SN fleet this year nor in the near future before the unavoidable bankruptcy.

I know it is a safe bet.
I came to the conclusion that it is definitely not in this enterprise culture to acquire additional aircrafts in order to develop their business. :roll:

As previously mentioned by DIDA and Darjeeling, the SN shareholders have little idea of what an airlines business is and how it should be run.

Undercapitalised they surely are !
BTW undercapitalisation was chronic at Sabena also..
Not so much difference after all between the two except maybe some sort of ambition which tentatively survived in the Sabena spirit and is completely lacking at snBA :(

Still my very best wishes to all Luchtzakkers for the year to come !!! :D