Brussels airlines: Strategy and business plan

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

BrusselsAirlines wrote:Thanks for that insider info VEX!

Is there still a plan to expand the medium- and/or long-haul fleet on the short term?
That's no insider info, that's public info. If you go to their site, you can find it all if you look.

BrusselsAirlines

Post by BrusselsAirlines »

I share your comments on that - the interior cabin cross section of the Avro's is almost 3.1meters for 5 seats. For the 737 this is 3.4meters for 6 seats...make your maths...

Taken into account the less long cabin and the high seat pitch this must be the least claustro cabin ever made!

I've seen some planes in my life and a fact is that everybody hates the 2 x 3 seat config - explaining the success of the Embraer regional jet.

Might be something for BrusselsA in the near future...

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

b720

Post by b720 »

shame they did not go for D'lite d for delta...and D'flex

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

Actually, SNBA already flew to both LGW and LHR. As said, these are different markets. First of all, all LHR flights except for 1 on Saturdays were operated by BA (British Airways) and all LGW flights were operated by SNBA. Worth mentioning is the fact that a lot of these passengers connect in London, and some connections on BA are from LGW, and others from LHR. So this is quite logical and I guess they will keep this strategy.
The SXB/THF and BGY/MXP (and LIN in codeshare!) story doesn’t make sense, although maybe THF airport may soon be closed.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

EBAW_flyer wrote:The SXB/THF and BGY/MXP (and LIN in codeshare!) story doesn’t make sense, although maybe THF airport may soon be closed.
For Berlin it really does not make much sense, if they offer the same two products in future in one plane (b-flex and b-light), than there is no need to fly to two different airports. Indeed THF unfortunately will soon be closed forever :cry: :cry: and than for some years to come there will be the choice of TXL and SXF. They should have to go for TXL than because SXF might be ok for city break travellers and weekend commuters, but for the business traveller staying one day in Berlin or BRU this is still not well enough connected to the city of Berlin and has the "low cost image" ...
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

After a long reflection, I have come to the conclusion that the new strategy might be doomed.

SN is hoping for 1/3 of the passengers flying b-flex. That is overly optimistic, in my view. Cost-conscious companies (that is most companies) will book the cheapest flights for their employees, and that means b-light. SN will be lucky if they have 20% b-flex passengers. Will they still be profitable with such a split?

Furthermore, abandoning the high-yield business class is another mistake. I was coming back from Geneva yesterday afternoon, and a full 7 rows of the Avro 100 were reserved for business class passengers. Will these clients go for a b-flex ticket with less advantages, or will they in te future fly Swiss via Zurich in business class?

All in all, in my view, the new strategy in Europe will deliver less revenues. The goal of becoming profitable in Europe in 2008 seems too optimistic.
Last edited by sn26567 on 08 Nov 2006, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Maybe it's more complex than that André. Let's say we have a flight to a certain destination: 50% available as b.light, 50% as b.flex. b.light starts at 5 euro, b.flex at 65. So, the cheapest tickets will be sold first --> the first passengers are buying b.light --> the price of b.light goes up and at a certain point, will be the same / higher than b.flex --> people are going to buy b.flex until the difference in price compared with the light is to high --> people will start buying light-tickets and so on.

But another question remains: when you have bought a b.light for let's say, 150 euro, tax not included, one way, are you willing to pay for drinks and snacks on board?

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

I believe much will depend of how many seats will be available for each booking class. On Business routes, only a limited number of seats should be made available as this is the way to redirect passengers (on a business trip) to the B-flex formula.
By using the figures coming from SNBA and VEX about the number of Business travellers and leisure pax, Brussels Airlines should be able to calculate for each route the potential for each booking class.
It doesn't make sence to offer just 50% of the seats to each booking class. That's why I believe their is a chance that this strategy could work, but only when SN is monitoring the sales figures close enough to intervene when necessary.

OO-VEX

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

blackbox wrote:I really hope they replace those claustrophobic Avro's ASAP and buy/lease some nice Boeings. (also for long haul)
Claustrophobic?
See ERJ and other cigars .....
Avro has a wide cabin depending of the config 3+2 is OK for me and more confortable than ERJ.
They will keep the Avro dur to low leasing rate

b720

light flex

Post by b720 »

I think that the product Brussels airlines will offer is brilliant. Let me remind everyone here that those who book business on european flights today do so for one simple reason: FLEXIBILTY (same day return, possibilty of reservation changes etc)not for the perks. In other words when one needs to fly BRU-GVA-BRU for a meeting thursday in gva booking one or two days in advance or even a week in advance the only options available today on SN and virgin today are tickets of 600 euro aprox. in economy or 900 euro business.. those business passengers will be delighted with the new flex as it provides the same services of business today for half the price... and minus the glass of champagne .. I don't think business travellers schedule their meetings 60 days in advance. Those who do already book cheap fares on SN and Virgin.. hence the decisive factor is time of booking... and that Ba took into account. I think they will reach their targets. as the decisive factor is time no one in their right (business) mind will fly GVA-BRU on swiss via Zurich and waste 2 to 3 hours..

VC10

Post by VC10 »

I don't like the sound of this new cheapo option, but checking the prices for b-flex on the SN website, they sound quite reasonable and we might give that a go when we fly next year. Otherwise we would be checking out VLM and bmi flights.

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I've got the impression it is a bit a of mess there. i.e.,When I am goiing to book a flight to Rome on 5 june/ return 7 june, the bookingprogramma says
first forward: SN 3175 in RJ85 (0650/0905)
last back: SN3184 (20.10/22.25) in RJ85
but in the timetables says something else:
first forward:
06:30
08:35 SN5015

last back:
21:15
23:30 SN5028

the data fromthe booing enigne has also bee mailed to to me... very weird, btw,timetables gives exact the current SN times...

Telspace

Post by Telspace »

Hi,

Well, B-flex or B-light, or B whatever, the cheapest way to fly to Rome in January is not with SNBA or Virgin, is still with Ryanair. 1,49 E + 4,99 E + taxes.
For 54,00 Euros, I will have a round trip ticket, much much cheaper that way.

DG

BrusselsAirlines

Post by BrusselsAirlines »

As Brazil might be closer to Brussels Airport than Brussels South Charleroi you might wanne opt for the real Brussels... :D

+ you'll get friendliness :D

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Telspace wrote:Hi,

Well, B-flex or B-light, or B whatever, the cheapest way to fly to Rome in January is not with SNBA or Virgin, is still with Ryanair. 1,49 E + 4,99 E + taxes.
For 54,00 Euros, I will have a round trip ticket, much much cheaper that way.

DG
Please compare only same airports.
Don't forget the specials regulations by Ryanair......

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

So SN wants to add one more A330 and opens new routes to America and Africa. But with only one frame they will have to operate little frequencies (2 or 3 times weekly) to achieve this goal. They should better use this A330 for expansion only to Africa and to support the heavy schedule operated by the 3 A330s.
And apparently they have dropped the Cameroon plan but what makes them think that in Rwanda or Uganda it will be better (they might encounter the same problem) :?: It will also take more than a year to establish another regional hub in Africa.
Time is passing, AF/KLM, ET, Kenya Airlines.... are growing and SN is struggling :(

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

We don't have to expect much on medium and long haul.

At this point there is no single announcement of new routes or extra frequenties to Africa. The only thing they have said is a strong concentration around The Great Lakes.

They are searching for one single long haul aircraft, probably A330, and this for a route(s) to North-America.

For me its clear that they will focus on Europe and keep in hand the same situation in Africa.