US Airways back from PHL to BRU, ATH, ZRH

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

VEX802

US Airways back from PHL to BRU, ATH, ZRH

Post by VEX802 »

According to Airliners.net US airways will fly back to brussels in the future. Brussels will be one of the three new cities started! No start date or schedule is knwon...

Link: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... n/3046355/

Greetz,
VEX802

[title changed to reflect full US press release - sn26567]

winglets

Post by winglets »

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

I know the plans have been to restart this service for sometime. Now it is part of an effort to hold on to gates at PHL. More international service is good IMO, but we are short aircraft to fly this. I'm guessing some ETOPS 757s will be leased/purchased to make this happen.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

This would be good news. When they will started that new service means 6 American carriers will serve BRU.

The CEO of BIAC stated it last week that there were talks with carriers who also will fly to BRU.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

I would be suprised to see this service restarted. When they served Brussels before, it was the king of thier e-saver fares--discounted tickets. That leads me to believe it wasnt very profitable :(
We will see, stranger things have happened.

Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

airDD

Post by airDD »

Well, things have changed since the last flight to BRU by US.

Last time, they started flying around 9/11... not a good time for aviation...

This time US is a member of the Star Alliance and merged with America West; so they will have many more West-coast connecting pax.

I think a 757 might work to BRU.

airDD

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Yes, a B757 could work ...

I loved their previous colour scheme ...

Danny

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

DannyVDB wrote:Yes, a B757 could work ...

I loved their previous colour scheme ...

Danny
I dont know....the B757 only has a few seats less than the 767 they were using. Something like 8 to 10 seats less. Theres really not much of a difference there.

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

TexasGuy wrote:I dont know....the B757 only has a few seats less than the 767 they were using. Something like 8 to 10 seats less. Theres really not much of a difference there.
Well our 762s have Envoy class vs regular First Class so that is a huge difference. Right now we don't have aircraft to make this trip so we'll have to see what we can find. 757s are in very short supply (at least ETOPS ready ones) and with FedEx on the lookout for 757s, probably expensive. The A332s won't be ready until 2008/9 so we've got to find aircraft soon.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote:When they will start that new service, it will mean 6 American carriers will serve BRU.
Six airlines between the US and Belgium, none of them Belgian!

That's the freedom of the skies, but it makes you think that Belgian airlines lack ambition or entrepeneurial spirit. You know which airline I mean in particular :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

chunk

Post by chunk »

sn26567 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:When they will start that new service, it will mean 6 American carriers will serve BRU.
Six airlines between the US and Belgium, none of them Belgian!

That's the freedom of the skies, but it makes you think that Belgian airlines lack ambition or entrepeneurial spirit. You know which airline I mean in particular :wink:
Nah you can;t blame them really. The Atlantic is a bloodbath in which SN could easily get in to trouble quickly. Do they have code share partners? If not then the lack of connectivity in the US is also an issue......

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Agreed! The Atlantic is a bloodbath of competition. I think the key to success would be partner carriers. That would make it work.

TWA

Post by TWA »

It's indeed very sad for the new SN-V airlines, the Americans took away their dream in Cameroon and now also across the Atlantic.

They still can become a regional operator in Europe, unless Easyjet comes over to BRU in the very near future....

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

This is again a great news for BRU in two weeks!
It won't be 6 airlines but 7 airlines! (don't forget Jet Airways to NYC)

For SNBA there are still possibilities for expansion to the USA with a close partnership with AA to DFW or MIA. But they should expand first in Africa with more direct flights from BRU.
Moreover airlines like AF/KLM or LH are far more serious competitors for SNBA, taking away the long-haul market ex BRU, than will NW and US be.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Indeed sad news for SNBA but so what, business is business.

SNBA had the opportunity to start those flights but due to troubles with the management, shareholders and no communication they are still what they are: small and weak.

I have a very strange feeling about SNBA and their future.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

How is this sad news for SN?

It's not like they were going to start American operations any time soon...

More African flights will be more profitable than American flight any day.

SierraFoxtrotMike

Post by SierraFoxtrotMike »

Exact !

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

For some crazy reason mods want news of ATH and ZRH in the BRU thread so what the heck.
cageyjames wrote:On the 3rd Quarter conference call US Airways announced that they would be adding 3 new destinations from PHL. ATH, BRU and ZRH will be added next summer if we can get additional gates at PHL. We'll be using A330s PHL-ATH, 767s PHL-ZRH, and 757s PHL-BRU. The only issue with ATH is that the A333 will be weight-restricted thanks to the PW engines. ATH will be seasonal, not year round unlike ZRH and BRU. This will also probably mean that MAD will lose its A333 and be downgraded to B762ER, but with the 762s getting new interiors with Envoy class service, I'm sure it won't be a big deal. BCN and AMS will also be downgraded to B752 service.

Added link to conference call

http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/0/73110.html
Some more info about ZRH. The 762 service to DUB will provide the 767 for ZRH leaving 752s to DUB. I'm still not really sure why they are going to take the A333 from MAD given that US has the only PHL-MAD service around.

With the loss of the 762ER from DUB, that means that there will no longer be widebody service from PHL to Ireland via US. Remember that SNN downgraded to 757 this year to free up a 762ER to ARN. That means no Envoy service to Ireland anymore.

Also no matter what you've read in the papers, this service will start even if we don't get the extra gates at PHL in terminal A. It will happen even if we have to bus people out to the apron.

JetB

Post by JetB »

To many airlines in 2007 chasing to little passengers (US market) !!!.

Delta to JFK, Jet Airways, NW, US Air... I wish them the best but without a strong feeder airline some are not going to make it !.

Capacity to and from BRU is going to grow in 2007 with how many %, maybe 40 ?.
That is much more than the normal 3 to 5 % natural yearly growth in traffic !.

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

JetB wrote:To many airlines in 2007 chasing to little passengers (US market) !!!
At least in our case, demand is out stripping supply. I guess if we had a fleet of A380s flying back and forth, but we don't. B752s don't address the needs of the market.