URGENT: Hand Luggage Restrictions @ all UK airports

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

chunk

Post by chunk »

Actually it would be the security services that broke up the plot. The government will have established policy once the security services revealed the security threat to them.

Just watched CNN at lunchtime and it was still pretty vague with what this threat was and how wide it spread. Plenty of noise about arrests etc but not a lot of substance. Can't decide if it was because there was no substance or because it was CNN. Not a great shock that it was UA and American that were the targets though as they were both LHR carriers......question is how come CO and how come little mention of Gatwick. Or how the other US airlines weren't targets...lower profile? WHo knows.

I wonder if the UK's tosser in chief will have any hand luggage if he returns from Cliff Richards house in Barbados any time soon? Imagine the uproar if he gets to and we don't!

Not sure how long the hand luggage policy is workable especially if it doesn;t apply to people coming from overseas into the UK as seems to be the case.

elnombre

Post by elnombre »

And yes, at this moment I truly am very proud of who my friends are, even though some unenlightened individuals have a jaundiced view of us which is entirely wrong
It didn't take long for Louise and her thinly veiled racism to raise its ugly head. I do hope she crawls away again soon :twisted:
El

chunk

Post by chunk »

Not really chief, the reference to VoF has been on postings for a good while. This just gives another opportunity to post this bollocks. I dispute it is thinly veiled racism - more full on. But we don't understand.....what don;t we understand about it?

Back on topic - thinking about the hand luggage rules....this cannot continue for long as the aviation and business worlds will basically grind to a halt. I am in Luanda on business. How do i do it without my computer? Who in their right mind trust baggage handlers not to break / steal it? Not bloody me anyway and I suspect not anyone else regularly on business travel.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

https://www.aviation24.be/article12330.html
For clarity, passengers are advised that no electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, ipods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked in as hold baggage.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

chunk wrote:- thinking about the hand luggage rules....this cannot continue for long as the aviation and business worlds will basically grind to a halt. I am in Luanda on business. How do i do it without my computer? Who in their right mind trust baggage handlers not to break / steal it? Not bloody me anyway and I suspect not anyone else regularly on business travel.
Wasn't BA not just amending the rules for cabin luggage, I understood, that it was almost "as much as you can carry"....
Didn't the rule say: "You can take along in cabin as much as you can carry and put by ypurself in the overhead bin?"

By the way, I'm wondering if it is allowed to carry along an accent in the cabin? :wink:

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

Similar measures and restrictions also apply in the U.S.

From TSA website:

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will be implementing a series of security measures – some visible and some not visible – to ensure the security of the traveling public and the Nation's transportation system. TSA is immediately implementing following changes to airport screening procedures:

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.
Exception: Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket; and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines

Beverages purchased in the sterile area must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted onboard the aircraft.
Passengers traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. will be subject to a more extensive screening process.
Some measures will not be visible to the public. In light of the elevated threat level, the Federal Air Marshals Service (FAMS) will provide expanded mission coverage for flights from the United Kingdom to the United States.

These measures will be constantly evaluated and updated when circumstances warrant. DHS and its components have coordinated closely with the air carrier industry, airports, and state and local stakeholders to implement these significant, but necessary, security measures. The traveling public can assist these agencies in carrying out their important security duties by:

Packing lightly, without clutter to facilitate easier screening.
Check with your air carrier well before your flight departs for information on when you shoudl arrive at the airport.
Cooperating with TSA personnel at all checkpoints and gates because TSA Security Officers will be checking carry-on baggage at the gate.
Being attentive and vigilant to any suspicious activity.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE.
The end of free tax and inflight shopping.
No more perfumes, alcool without taxes and.... a lot of people loosing her job !!

chunk

Post by chunk »

Actually there is a very big difference in what the US has done and what the UK has done from what I see. The US has just banned liquids from hand luggage, the UK has banned pretty much anything.

The difference is this. Mid term elections in the US mean the George and his pals cannot restrict people even more through TSA - and taking away mobiles and laptops etc would do that. Poll ratings would get even worse. Blair doesn't have to worry about that as he is not close to an election, he is apparently leaving the position on his own accord so wants to f*ck it up for Brown and has the ear of a gullible population.

As for BA and cabin baggage - I am not sure on what goes on there as I don't fly them but BAA (the airport owners under direction from government) had started actually restriciting hand baggage according to strict dimensions. If it didnt fit in the guage at the airport it wasnt allowed as hand baggage - caused chaos when it was implemented the first day as little warnign was given outwith the airport!

I seriously hope these restrictions dont stick for long as flying will be pretty unpleasant without newspapers, books, ipods etc on long haul.

Finally, if they knew it was going to be in liquid form how come mobiles etc are also banned? I mean there is a fairly simple check to see if a mobile or an ipod is containing explosive liquid.....switch the bastard on! It's all very strange if you ask me......

Stepha380

Post by Stepha380 »

All airlines will have to give free drinks...

I was booked on the sole U2 flight cancelled at Luton, I have moved my travel dates by 15 days. My girlfriend is completely pissed. F+++++ terrorists.

I hope this plot was something really serious we will know this in six months

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Stepha380 wrote:All airlines will have to give free drinks...
They will simply offer drinks to purchase.....

Serious, in case of business travel, only a PC and a mobile phone to check....or .... the need to check a mobile (a little one) is absurd. they don't have the place to put the tag :lol:

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Stepha380 wrote:I hope this plot was something really serious we will know this in six months
If it was serious enough to save Blair, we will indeed see... This guy would do all and everything to get a job in the US. He 's betraying UK, EU and many more....
That's where the security risk is located...

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

FROM BAA.COM

Passenger information

Passengers will be able to purchase items from the departures lounge once they have passed through security and carry these onto the aircraft. However, if you are travelling to the USA, you will be unable to carry any liquids or liquefied products onto the aircraft. This includes, for example, drinks, bottles of duty-free, perfumes, toothpaste, hair gel or other toiletries.

Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg diabetic kit), can be taken through security except, in liquid form unless verified as authentic by a pharmacist . Passengers are advised to bring medicines in containers where the seal has not been broken.

It seems to adapted for the purchases in free tax shops.....

Stepha380

Post by Stepha380 »

Airbus330lover wrote:
They will simply offer drinks to purchase.....[/quote]

I don't think so, time will tell

chunk

Post by chunk »

SN30952 wrote:
Stepha380 wrote:I hope this plot was something really serious we will know this in six months
If it was serious enough to save Blair, we will indeed see... This guy would do all and everything to get a job in the US. He 's betraying UK, EU and many more....
That's where the security risk is located...
I never thought i would say it after so long of morally bankrupt conservative rule in the 80's and '90s but Blair is without a doubt the most corrupt and morally offensive individual that mainstream politics (I don;t see the likes of griffin and the f***ing bnp as mainstream thankfully) has seen in a very long time. The bulk of his cabinet are as bad especially Reid and Alexander. Another pair of spineless nobody's and I am ashamed that they are scots.

The only positive is that these b*stards always get whats coming to them in the end.....i just hope its jail eventually.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

not that I disagree chunk
but let me remind you we're supposed to not talk politics in here

chunk

Post by chunk »

Fair enough Jan!

Blair and his corrupt cronies are affecting how we all travel by air thanks to their morally reprehensible policies. Discuss!! :D

OK here is something for you. My boss is flying home tomorrow from Luanda. He checks in at Luanda and goes through JNB and CDG. The way i see it he can take his laptop and ipod all the way home with him as the rules currently apply. Now if he was going the other way from the UK to Luanda he couldn't. This is a total and absolute farce unless I have misunderstood something.....

SN30952

Draconian restrictions on carry-on baggage may stay in place

Post by SN30952 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:not that I disagree chunk
but let me remind you we're supposed to not talk politics in here
We are not talking politics, jan_olieslagers. we're talking crime, to paraphrase Scotland Yard....

What I read too is: Airline luggage restrictions seen staying in place indeed draconian restrictions on carry-on baggage may stay in place for months, even years....

Yesterday the fun of airtravel was killed, that's a crime.
Not so long ago we discussed whether bringing your own bottle on board, would be possible.
This and many other forum items are from now on irrelevant. Dead or at least obsolete.
It is indeed, because it looks good not to debate politics, that a few can do what they like. In some countries it is already forbidden to emit an opinion. In some 'democratic' countries the goverment does not worry about the public opinion, they bluntly ignore the opinion of the majority.
Why not say what we do not like?

Read also 11 August 2006 A day that will haunt the airline industry for years

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Sure we will see a big change for short haul flights.
Flights up to 3 hours... will esay cost 5 to 6 hours.
Check in 2 hours waiting for the luggage, 30 minutes (Optimist)... in Europ, you can take the TGV for this kind of distance.
Business travellers without phones and laptop .. it will be easier to arrange a teleconference.

Big problems for the future of airlines

jan_olieslagers

chunk wrote:Fair enough Jan!
Blair and his corrupt cronies are affecting how we all travel by air thanks to their morally reprehensible policies. Discuss!! :D
OK, thanks for fair discussion! Meseemeth you"d be beyond any reproach by replacing "Bxxx and his yyy" by 'the current UK government". And everyone's free to observe that no previous UK government would have acted any different.
chunk wrote:OK here is something for you. My boss is flying home tomorrow from Luanda. He checks in at Luanda and goes through JNB and CDG. The way i see it he can take his laptop and ipod all the way home with him as the rules currently apply. Now if he was going the other way from the UK to Luanda he couldn't. This is a total and absolute farce unless I have misunderstood something.....
Yes and no. Yes: anyone really malicious can wreck ruin upon any air transport, and civilian pax flights are the easiest target. OTOH no: the current government of US and UK have made themselves into prime targets for certain classes of terrorism.

jan_olieslagers

Airbus330lover wrote:Sure we will see a big change for short haul flights.
Flights up to 3 hours... will esay cost 5 to 6 hours.
Check in 2 hours waiting for the luggage, 30 minutes (Optimist)... in Europ, you can take the TGV for this kind of distance.
Business travellers without phones and laptop .. it will be easier to arrange a teleconference.

Big problems for the future of airlines
Sorry for the airlines, but indeed it seems more reasonable to use (high speed) train for voyages up to 500 km or so. If indeed teleconferencing doesn't do better even.